Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Kill Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

323 GT tops out @ 170MPH!

My bro came down from washington with a few stories. He has a Mazda 323 GT that was built and tuned in a shop in Northern CA. He purchased it from the shop about a year ago. Here's a little about the car:

1988 Model, only around 800 sold in the US ever.

Has JDM 1.8L GTX motor w/ 323 GTI head swap. Garret GT30R BB Turbo with a max boost of 1 Bar. Custom mated 94' Capri XR2 Transaxle w/ a naturall aspirated 626 5th gear swap. Custom 2 1/2 inch exhuast off the DP back to the exhuast tip. ABCR running boost management. RX-7 injectors and fuel pump. And a whole bunch of JDM goodies.

Here's what he posted on his forum:
Saturday is like any other day for me other than friday and sunday, I wake up tired, drive to work and slave for 11 hours of the day, then go home and repeat the process. On saturday mornings, there arent many cars on the highway here in Bremerton WA, just a couple of lolygagers attempting to drink coffee while cruising down the road. On the highways where I live there are 2 lanes each way(which isnt alot) and a nice 2-3 mile stretch that you can see clearly and the cars in front pretty good.

Well, most saturdays(any day for that matter), I am a conservative and responsible driver, but sometimes I like to let that turbo of mine wind up and boost me to 100mph in a quick stint to get me awake at 6:30 in the morning. I then ease off and stay at a slow freeway pace of 60mph till I reach my destination 7 miles later. This satuday was no exception, I let that gas pedal have it and stomp that pedal till it hits the floor, but something came over me telling me to faster, thus I did.

I shift into 4th close to 100mph and stay 1 bar of positive pressure all the way through that gear till I reach redline at 125+-mph. I continue to shift into 5th, gear changing seems fluid like and resposive, like the tranny is saying it wants more speed for it to swallow up, not letting up once. The motor at this time is begging to rev faster, pulling like a freight train and show no sign of slowing down.

My speedo at this time has gone past the 120mph mark and contines to make one full revolution on the dials, knowing that this instrument has become just an erratic speed counter now, I focus on the tach to let me know my terminal velocity. The car still pulling like it's been frightened by an enemy running on pure adrenaline, reaches its top regulated stock engine speed at 7000rpms, still wanting more. I glance at the speedo, it is sitting at a tick above 10mph.....how slow!

After returning to sane legal speed limits, I start to get my own sort of adrenaline rush that only auto power car enthusiasts get when going fast. It was a fun little test and don't plan on doing it ever unless I'm on the racetrack. I was thinking of different variables that could have happened, losing my license and going to jail, crashing my car and killing me in the process, crashing into another car and killing somone else. No fun might I say, horrible conseqences for going three times past the legal speed limit.

But back to what the whole topic was about, I like boosted cars, everyone should have one. I do believe I was redlined out at around 170mph, give or take a few mph. Pretty darn quick for a little ol' mazda 323. Take care guys and be careful.

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson
FlooredAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
VR4_Craver
Banned

top speed really doesnt matter that much. If it took you 2-3 miles to get to 170 that isnt saying much...But now if you did it in 1 mile then it would be impressive. Im not hating considering that my car tops out at 132.
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

Quarter mile times for this car are in the high 12's. It's pumpin about 310 to the crank and about 260 to the wheels. He said it took him just over a mile to top it out. It just amazes me that an econobox could go that fast considering it's not aerodynamic at all.

What are you gonna do? Sick your dogs on me? Or your bees? Or dogs with bees in their mouth so when they bark they shoot bees at me?
-Homer Simpson

Last edited by FlooredAccord : 08-10-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
biker's back

A few things, cool.

I believe 1 bar is 15-17psi, he must burn 94+ oc gas.

Second issue with this, unless he has modded his suspension I dont believe he would be able to control an enco box at those speeds. I personally have driven a car of similar size past 110mph and wouldn't take it any further. The car started to shake and become uncontrolable.

I think this story is a load of shit. Pictures please.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #5
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

Me and my brother both thought a lot of you guys here would be sceptical, and I don't blame you. You're absolutely right, he would have to have modded his suspension, and he did. If you could wait about a week(until my bro flies back up to Washington) I'll have him send me his pics, but I doubt if he has a video so don't ask. I'll look around here for the pic of it next to the Evo VII but I doubt I will find it. Here's another racing story performed in the Bay area before I shipped his car up to Washington:

"Man! This car is wicked fast! Going down the freeway in oakland minding my own buisness at 70mph, this modded hks wrx gets next to me and proceeds to rocket off, I decide to see if Im able to catch up to him, well surely i do and I stay with him till we hit the tunnels, I go through the left, he goes through the right tunnel, I exit after he does and Im unable to locate him in my rearview mirror. Suddenly he comes barreling down my rear end I hit boost and pull a california sweep, Im suddenly going 110mph uphill, hes hanging with me, then my speedo pegs off the scale and the car keeps on going faster and faster, the wrx is to the right and a little behind me and proceeds to pass a car on the shoulder at atleast 130mph, Im thinking oh nuts hes going to loose control but he makes it safely back on the road. I finnaly get past some cars and pull next to him, we start toying with each other by moving into each others lane, good ol fun! But darn't my exit is comong soon so I must slow down, I then realize that i was set on 8-9psi of boost! I forgot to change the boost settings....I wonder what would have happened If i was at 15psi? Well, all in all a very good race..... "

Oh, and by the way, I think he runs off of 92 pump gas. If I get pictures and more proof biker will you stop the hating? In fact, hate all you want, I'm not here to impress you.

-Homer Simpson
Old 08-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

1 bar = 14.7psi
= to 1 atmosphere @ sea level
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
biker's back

I dont hate on you, i just have questions.

I wouldn't say shit if you posted some amazing 1/4mile times, I know little about that shit, however I do know a thing or two about top end and for a little car to be going 170mph. I know one thing though, your 5th gear does top out at 170mph because my friend has one and that sounds about right.

The major issue with this is not the fact can the motor do it, i'm wondering how a POS car travels that fast and doesn't flip. The rims would have to be perfect, so would the tires, nevermind the airflow under that car.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #8
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

Yup, I just bought him new rims and tires. Check out the pic. It's not in this thread, but still in the killz section. For everybody's information a stock 323GT will do 135MPH in 5th gear at redline.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by FlooredAccord : 08-10-2004 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #9
VR4_Craver
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by biker's back
I wouldn't say shit if you posted some amazing 1/4mile times

I would call 12's rather amazing in a 323.....
the geekz0r (11:03:46 PM): basicly, look at it this way...the 6speed is the same is the 5speed in 2,3,4,5,and 6...only the speeds are different because of the fd
the geekz0r (11:04:16 PM): so 2nd pulls like 1st in the 5speed, 3rd is like 2nd, etc.
PortugeeTex (11:04:26 PM): so whats 1st like then?
the geekz0r (11:04:49 PM): 1st is like hitting a cheeta in the ass with a tazer
PortugeeTex (11:04:53 PM): lmfao
VR4_Craver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
biker's back

generally something doesn't sound right about this. It takes some car to get up to those speeds.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #11
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

I don't just go posting lies about cars and I especially wouldn't lie about this considering its' potential for people like you to think it's a fake. I knew there would be some disbelief posting the thread and like I said, I don't blame you. I'm not going to try and turn you into a believer because my efforts would probably be futile. Just wait till next week and I'll have all the specs and technical information and then you could put it all together for yourself. I don't know if you're from Canada Rob, but I do know Washington isn't too far away from Canada. I'm sure my brother would be happy to let you ride with him for a run. That sounds like the only way to make a believer out of you.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by FlooredAccord : 08-10-2004 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #12
biker's back

HEHE my american buddy, depending on what part of canada i'm in we could be worlds apart.

Thanks for the offer however even if we were next door I wouldn't be quick to let someone i dont know take me to those speeds.

I'll wait
Old 08-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #13
Rusho
1st Gear

Those 323's GTX's (awd turbo) are badass. Check out http://www.mazda323performance.com/ Lots of info on these little known cars. "Sleepers"...
Old 08-14-2004, 02:38 PM   #14
FlooredAccord
2nd Gear

^ See, at least someone has a little respect econoboxes that go fast. By the way Rusho, the site u mentioned is excellent. My bro belongs to that forum and there are a ton of knowledgeable ppl there.

-Homer Simpson