.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Car only starts when it feels like it

Alright, my car is a little messed up and doesn't like to start. I just had the battery changed, and the charging system checked; everything is fine. This problem seems to happen more on cold/wet days. All last week when the weather was nice, I didn't have a problem with it, but its been happening on and off for a month or two.

When I turn the key, there is a clicking noise under the hood, like the starter motor wants to crank, and my interior lights dim (like they usually do when you start a car, just momentarily). Then nothing happens. If I keep the key turned, I can hear a distinct buzzing noise under the hood. Today, I did this about 15 times in a row, and then it just started perfectly. Also, it occasionally will crank very weak but not start.

I'm going to take it by Honda tomorrow (if it starts), but I'd really like some opinions on what to look for.

Thanks guys and girls

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:44 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

the only time i had that it was my battery which was dead. thew enly way i could start it it was to jump start it, and after i would turn it off it wouldn't start. get a new battery, because yours won't hold the current.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 08:45 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah take it to a honda dealer and pay them 130 for a battery that you could get 60-70 from a autostore

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 09:03 AM   #4
spoogenet

As you described the problem, that's most commonly associated with a battery that cannot hold the load. I assume you properly said that the battery was changed, not charged? If it was charged, make sure they did a load test on it (some places don't...and say they did...). If it's a new battery....then I'd suggest your starter is having issues. The click is the starter solenoid, I'm not sure what the buzzing is, but I'm pretty sure it's related to your starter. Go figure.

I would guess there's a possibility you've got some not-so-good contacts associated with your starter, which could definitely be aggravated by damp weather.

b
Old 04-08-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Thanks guy, yes I have a brand new battery. I just called Honda and they said they might be able to look at it today if I leave it there. It sucks because its my only car and I can't go anywhere without it. Hopefully they'll find the prob and fix it today.

Old 04-08-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Turns out it was the starter... they'll have one tomorrow to install. Damn, I wasn't planning on shelling out this kind of money right now, but oh well.

Old 04-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #7
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Shitty deal..I thought either the starter or electronic ignition.
But glad ou found the problem

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote