.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2002, 02:42 AM   #1
Maxvla

need a check up

how much should a thourough (spelling?) engine check be?
i think ive got a small oil leak from the engine and also a leak on the power steering pump.
any idea how serious the power steering could be? it whines when i turn the wheel... though only like once out of 200 turns. kinda weird.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:20 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

I know this is sort of the obvious answer, but if you're wondering how much, swing by the shop and they'll tell ya for free.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 03:23 AM   #3
Maxvla

SMACK! i figured i'd get that kinda remark.

ive never had car work done. so i was just kinda wonderin and since i couldnt call in the middle of the night i wondered if anyone on here would know. im figuring 40-50 bucks.. but who knows how much mechanics are raping people for nowadays.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:29 AM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Damn, you're lucky to never have had car work done before. My last two cars were hell, and dumped over $5-6k fixing them up... only to have the last one catch fire. Anyways...

Your estimate is quite low. My car wouldn't start well this week, so I took it down to have the battery checked (5 minute job) and they charged $20.

Labor is usually around $60ish/hour, but I'd say around $75 to check over your car, maybe more.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:33 AM   #5
Maxvla

dayum..... thats a few pennies.

and yes. ive had my car for 2-3 years and ive never had any repairs to it. this is my first car so... thats also how i can never have had car work done b4.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:37 AM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, best of luck getting it fixed. It would probably be better to get it looked at sooner than later.

One thing I've found is that some places will try to get extra money out of you. When I just got my clutch installed, they quoted me $350 labor including flywheel resurface. When I went to pay, they told me the flywheel job was $40 extra. After some serious negotiations, they paid for the flywheel job.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:41 AM   #7
Maxvla

noted. i dont like getting screwed around but most of the time i let it slide unless its really bad. mechanics make enough as it is.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:46 AM   #8
NooNz

whatever you do...don't get it checked at a Honda dealership....the one near my house but i live in Toronto, Ont.....it was $82 CDN for labour....i need to fix my side-view mirror which i busted....about $275 for the mirror, motor, and housing..and $82 for labour....unbelievable...so i just left.....i ain't payin close to $400 bux for that......

try to go to a mechanic that your friend's go to that's somewhat honest.....very very hard to find a totally honest mechanic...
Old 02-28-2002, 03:49 AM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by NooNz
try to go to a mechanic that your friend's go to that's somewhat honest.....very very hard to find a totally honest mechanic...

No doubt. I finally found a mechanic who exclusively worked on German cars (when I had a GTi), and then my car was trashed in a fire... Now I have nobody to work on my Honda.

I do take my car to the dealer for some things though... in general they do a pretty good job.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:53 AM   #10
NooNz

oh yea..definitely they do a good job since they only work with hondas and they kno the cars inside/out.....but $$$.....