.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2003, 11:26 PM   #1
AzNRac312

O2 sensor question

I have a 98 Civic Ex, and my check engine light is on, code is 41, which is primary o2 sensor circuit. I already bought a new O2 plug, and was wondering, is it okay to cut and splice the O2 wire because i have a Greddy header. The header relocated the stock O2 sensor from the top of the header to the bottom of the header. I bought this header used so i never got the extension wire for the O2. So If i was to replace my O2 sensor, extend the wires, solder everything, would it work? Or should i buy a O2 wire extension, which DC and Greddy sells for $40?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
blind34_1

electrically, this sounds fine. if you wanted to solder your own wire to extend it yourself that should be fine. the only problem, and its a remote problem, is wire resistance. i seriously doubt that o2 sensors are so precision that they'll give a false reading because of too much line resistance.

was the o2 sensor just old and went bad, or are you having a chronic problem? cause it could mean you are running too rich a fuel mixture, or are having other problems.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:12 AM   #3
AzNRac312

A year ealier, Honda replaced my O2 sensor with a new one, but during the summer, i bought a used Greddy header, but it came with a used O2 sensor with its wires already extended. So I used it for a month before the Check Engine Light Came on. But when I unwrap the old wiring of the O2, i found that the person who sold it to me extended it with speaker wires. Since I still had my pretty new sensor that I used for a few months, i deceided to use my O2 sensor, and use new wires to extend it. However, my Check Engine Light still turns on. It still reads Primary O2 sensor as the problem. So I dont know if the wiring is the problem, or is it the O2.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:46 PM   #4
Shot 2 Hel

sounds like it could be the wiring
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #5
blind34_1

have you reset the ECU correctly? i cant remember if that makes a difference, but lets be thorough.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:31 AM   #6
AzNRac312

I reset the ECU when i replace the O2, I have tried more than once. I'm going to try to cut off the extended wire, and resolder the original O2 sensor wires together, and order a wire extension from Dc. Maybe that will help fix the problem.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
blind34_1

might help, but if your connections are good this could indicate another problem. possibly oil-fouled wires? shorting to ground? maybe you are running way too rich, a timing problem in my car aused my o2 sensor to go off the deep end. good luck