::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
heartbreakkid

flip flop trunk

anyone knows any website to give me instruction on how to install the flip flop trunks that is shown on ebay?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:29 AM   #2
BrandonClaps

:yawn: do i have the answers to everything or wut?!?!

This is what it will look like if you dono what i'm talking about

FLIP TOP TRUNK

Materials:

- (2) 3-inch latches, regular size latches will work fine, heavy duty ones just make for more work

- (2) triangular hinges like as pictured in the instructions

- (Approx. 15) Tapered head screws (the ones that could be flushed into the hinges)

Before you begin:

- Take the 2 hinges and bend one side at a 90-degree angle (the length to the bend will vary depending on how wide your trunk bracket is)

- Mark all your necessary holes and pre-drill with a small drill bit (note: always start small and work your way bigger or you will have to end up buying super large screws to use on your mess-up)

- Be sure to read and understand attached picture instructions before starting!!!

1. With trunk open, mark the trunk lid at the top of the stock brackets.

2. Remove your trunk lid by unbolting 4 bolts. Do not remove the stock brackets, only the trunk lid.

3. Attach the flat side of the enclosed hinge to trunk lid below the marked. With the bottom of the hinge facing down.

4. You will have to bend hinge.

5. With help reattach trunk lid to stock brackets using curved hinge. Be sure to pre-drill all holes before mounting new hinge. This hinge will create the fold down effect.

6. Connect enclosed latches about 2 inches from the bottom of the trunk lid. Be sure they are mounted on the inside of the stock brackets.

7. Mark a spot on the stock bracket to drill to allow the latches to latch. Be sure the latch will latch tightly. If it doesn't latch tightly you may have to replace the stock bottom bolts each time you want to fold down you trunk lid.

Old 02-25-2002, 10:38 AM   #3
4jacks

Dang , Brandon ... you are the Man,

How do the Latches work, they are not clearly pictured, but the bent hinge is pretty understandable??

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 03:54 PM   #4
BrandonClaps

see the latches is what is used to make your trunk work normal, then when the trunk is opened and u wanna tilt it forward u just unlatch it and tilt it
Old 02-25-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
seanjuan

This was the first i had heard or seen of this trunk mod, it is one of the coolest things i have seen in a while. as i looked closer at the some of the different pics i noticed that this setup won't work for my civic
my civic does not have the long curved bar that is mounted inside the trunk, it just has a few links and a hydrolic piston on either side that fold up without entering the trunk space

does anyone know of a flip flop kit for this style trunk?

thanks

Sean
Old 02-25-2002, 05:22 PM   #6
BrandonClaps

maybe if u understand the concept of it maybe u can apply it to your application, i dono how the 92 civics are setup ;/
Old 02-25-2002, 05:52 PM   #7
seanjuan

The concept for this mod is much more basic than i had originally thought it to be. and after a little investigation i realized that it will not apply to my trunk setup. i am a mechanical engineering student at the Universtity of Minnesota so i am hoping to use some of my resources to design a mod for my style of trunk. i think that the 92 2dr's can do this mod but not the 5th gen 4drs

if i am able to design a mod for the 4dr trunk i will definately let people know

thanks

Sean
Old 02-25-2002, 07:13 PM   #8
BrandonClaps

post up a picture of your trunk, all ya need is a little creativity ;D. Of course those gas shocks that help u open it must be removed...
Old 02-25-2002, 07:24 PM   #9
4jacks

He's a mechanical Engineering student Designing his own system, I'm a mechanic Engineering Student, how still doesn't get the Latches !!!

I hope we're not talking about the 3" gate style latches (gosh I wish I could post a pic) the ones you rotate the rod up and slide it over to lock and unlock it ??? THAT'S GHETTO !

"HoLd Up, G-doG MonEy HomE FunK .... LeT Me UnLatcH Me TruNk tO FlosS My BlIng bLing, foR thESe Fine HonEy's "

How About magnet Latches, Like the ones Entertainment Centers Use .... think they make those strong enough... That way, you can just, rotate it a little to pop the latch, Instead of crawling in your trunk to flip it out

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:24 PM   #10
seanjuan

i will see what i can do about getting a pic up soon. i'm hoping that i could incorporate the shocks into the mod to help hold the trunk open and keep it from slamming shut.

as for latches, i think latching is the least of my problems
it's a pretty standard latch on my car

thanks for the interest
Sean
Old 03-06-2002, 10:16 PM   #11
WeifengSD

Hello, the pics are not showing for me on this forum, and I already did copy paste the link from the pics properties, and still not leading up. Whats going on?

If BrandonClaps could find a pic of the hardware and post a link to it, it would be nice. Because I went to home depot today to look for the hinge and latch, and there are too many variaties of those hinges and latches. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #12
BrandonClaps

sorry bout that i thought i fixed all the posts. My server stopped all free accounts, so i'm hosting it on my own now. Hope that helps
Old 03-07-2002, 03:08 PM   #13
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well I have the 93 $dr Civci and mine has the same issue..I have the hardware to do the job just not sure how to on my Sedan. I'm goin to see if I can get the arms liek the 2dr coupe and be able to use that and switch it up a little...

I'll post pics as well if I get it done....
Old 03-07-2002, 08:41 PM   #14
Quist

OK so the latches hold the trunk lid in the normal position until you unlatch them???

So you would not know that there was a mod until you unlatched it and the trunk swung down right??? Sorry all you mechanical engineers im just a damn chemical engineering student

So any more explaining would help thank
Old 03-08-2002, 11:09 AM   #15
BrandonClaps

yea quist thats exactly right ;]
Old 03-08-2002, 02:23 PM   #16
Quist

hmmmm I like that mod

Does any one have this done to thier car??? Does the truck lid seal as well as factory???
Old 03-08-2002, 06:25 PM   #17
BrandonClaps

the trunk lid is exactly the same, just don't forget to use that latch
Old 09-21-2002, 06:52 PM   #18
2kCivicEX

this seems like an easy mod. i just dont get the latches. What do they do and where exactly do they go?
Old 09-21-2002, 07:34 PM   #19
BrandonClaps

here forget that latch idea, this is what i did with mine. i just went and took some pics of it. it's like a bolt with a knob thingy on it like they use on computer chairs to adjust the back. it's just like keeping in the stock bolts but these you can do take it off with your hands. Also, forget there hinge idea, do it like mine also

Old 09-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #20
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

you posted all that info...and you could have just pointed them to the "DIY" section on the site...all the stuff is already there...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #21
Weapon

hmm that seems easy enough, so basically its just add a hinge between the hood and latch? also that knob is just so that u can make it flip flop when u want to by taking it out and making it work normal when u put it in?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #22
terry

does any one have any pic of this done?
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
jorgea

Flip Flop Trunk

Post a picture of this flip flop trunk project so everyone here at can see how it turned out
jorgea is offline   Reply With Quote