Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Hybrid
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
blind34_1

Beginning to rebuild b18a1 - engine prep questions

Just what the title implies. I've done a lot of searching on this, but I can't seem to find the answers I need.

I'm finally going to be working on this engine, with the help of my cousin (runs his own shop). The first step is to build this engine to swap it into my civic. Since he does not have any machine tools, the engine will have to be sent off to a machine shop.

I want to be able to talk half way intelligently to the shop, to tell them what I want done. Problem is, I don't KNOW what I need.

I'm wanting the motor to be a solid daily driver. But to build it so that down the road, it will be able to handle light to moderate boost (around 6-8psi). There are no CURRENT plans to run forced induction right away, I just want to get it the car running again.

On a normal rebuild, I know that you need to:

- hone the cylinders
- make sure the top of the block is flat

but what else? and is making sure the top of the block flat called "decking" or is that something else? what head work should be done? I know that a lot of people have a three or five way valve job done, but what is this exactly?

and what is the deal with a block guard? I know this is a cheap alternative to sleeving the cylinders, but what is the point to the block guard, and what are the disadvantages? (obviously cost is the advantage) Do I even need one at all?

and what do you think of these rebuild kits you can buy? I've seen this one: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hm-perfo...blenreki1.html
compared to this one: http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...pek-acura.html
and there is an obvious price difference. For my application, would going with the expensive kit really be worth it in the end?

give me a hand here, I'm needing to get going on this project, its been more than 2 years, and I'm itchin to drive it again.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote