Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2004, 08:37 PM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

So now that it's all over...

Now that everything's over and done with and people can return to a quasi-normal state of being, what would YOU like to see change in this country? This is not a political bashfest...it's a question to those socially minded who realize, no matter how great you may think this country is, that things can always be better. I have some ideas (and no...they're not the joke ideas I've posted before...for the most part), but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks so long as it's done in a constructive manner.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:53 PM   #2
Wren57

I'd like to see a completely restructured tax system. Only 80 something percent of ALL money that goes to the IRS ends up in the hands of the spenders in Washington. That extra 10+% could come in very handy. I feel a national sales tax could go very far to achieve this (no tax on food, necessary stuff, etc).

I would also like to see social security restructured. What it is now is an involuntary plan that takes X amount of your money every week and gives everyone nearly the same amount at age 65 (or whenever you file for it). I feel it should be voluntary, and that there should be options for repayment (private vs. publically handled). All it is now is a way to redistribute money based on age and income, and once again punish those who earn more and reward those that don't.

I'd like to see the military move towards more specialized operation, a more mobilized, smaller force. I think with advanced training and equipment we can get the job done more effeciently with a smaller force, cutting some costs (although not much due to cost of training etc) and cut casualties. Having 1.7 million troops is great, but if we could get the same job done with 1.2, we would say a tremendous amount of money.

I think healthcare should be privatized nationwide. Government doesn't run car insurance, and look how well that system works. Don't take money for healthcare out of people's checks, let them keep it and spend it on a health insurance company.

Keep pushing for higher education. The brighter we as a society are, the more fowardthinking we will be, and the greater our chance to continue leading this world.

Keep pot illegal; it has been widely suspect of causing long-term damage in the front cerebral cortex (complex thinking area of brain), essentially making people stupider. Intellect is America's greatest force.

I could go on and on, but to sum up;

My two big mottos when it comes to government;
1. Corporations make money because they manage to find the BEST way to CUT costs while still providing a quality product. Government doesn't do this... for the most part, a government worker's job isn't at stake if a healthcare program doens't make money... its like kicking a kid out of the house for the first time.
2. Give a man $10, he'll eat for a day. Give him a job, he'll eat for a lifetime. (yes, I know, its a ripoff)

Questions?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
juvenile

Quick one, I thought the US health care was already private. IE if you goto the hosptial you pay for your own bill? Thus movies such as John Q resulting in theaters. Maybe you're talking about something else though...
Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Well...it is and it isn't. Most of the time your employer provides you with insurance and you cover the co-pay...usually between $10-$20 depending on the plan. Same goes for your medication. You only pay out of pocket fully for "cosmetic" procedures like plastic surgery. Sometimes if you have an HMO you'll get screwed harder, but that's pretty much how it works.

And I've actually got a question Wren. If social security becomes privatized and people are allowed to put money into mutual funds and stock portfolios, what happens if those portfolios and mutual funds are mismanaged? Likewise, what would happen if a company pulled an Enron and left investers holding the bag. Don't get me wrong...it's not a bad idea...but you just know some people would get royally screwed.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:58 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

Personally, I would like a privatized social security system.
Since I have absolutely zero faith in the government, I have placed a starting $2k in a 36mo continuous renewal COD at a credit union. I seriously doubt that social security will carry people of our generation.

I dont have much to complain about that could be grounds for a "fix" really...at least nothing that can be fixed by the government.
(I dont feel that family of old migrant farm workers should get collage scholarships...I dont get one and my ancestors dug ditches and came over on the mayflower (I have proof). But that wont change; and its just me bitching).
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
mylittlecivic

i wasnt shocked or anything im pretty sure the people dont really have a choice when it comes to elections it seems to me the government will do anything they can to make people think everything is normal beyond the surface who the hell knows

Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6 but..what do i know..i'm drunk...

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
.."Fer crissakes, Paddy, that's yer air freshener!"
Quote:
Originally posted by KwikR6
I'm not white. I'm Canadian.
mylittlecivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:44 AM   #7
V8killimports

Quote:
Originally posted by highlander

I'd like to see the military move towards more specialized operation, a more mobilized, smaller force. I think with advanced training and equipment we can get the job done more effeciently with a smaller force, cutting some costs (although not much due to cost of training etc) and cut casualties. Having 1.7 million troops is great, but if we could get the same job done with 1.2, we would say a tremendous amount of money.
Questions?

You know what this means? Means the people in the military will have to work longer and harder. I rather not be deployed for 70% of my life like I am now. Imagine you are already working 12 hours a day.. then they lay someone off and tell you that you need to take over their job as well.. have fun.
V8killimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
IALuder

^ to add to that.

people join willingly. people actually want to join. so what are you going to do? deny them. i think that be a wrong move. esp. if your going to have these multiple wars.

i have no faith in the SS shit, i set a 1K in a bank account that is to never be touched, but can be added to at my bank. i just dont think me being 18 will ever see it.

i would like to see the government crack down on illegal immagrents. give them a chance to get here legally. if they dont try to become legal, deport them. its not hard to find them, its just they dont want to.

i would also like to see iowa get some money to build up are farms, crack down on drugs (esp meth). on average iowa finds 15-30 meth labs every month. in corn feilds, grages, houses, in moble units. i also see farmers go bankrupt every day. we need these farms, like it or not. i see more houses go up and farm land destroied. but im sure none you give a damn. sence you dont live here and have no idea how bad it is.

im sure i have more but can think of them all.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote