Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

What the hell is wrong with this country?

In the wake of the shootings at Virginia Tech, which I am already about sick to the teeth of hearing about on news networks that can't offer any real insight on the situation, I've noticed a few glaring problems with the American public (and the news outlets who "inform" them).

1. Somehow it is now absolutely necessary for someone to be at fault. A lot of people are giving shit to the school's administration for somehow failing to notify kids of what had happened. How unfair is that? Two people got killed in a dorm and the police had a "person of interest" in custody. Such situations don't necessitate shuting down a whole university. Then the school sent out an email later on telling students of the killings. The problem is that state universities are big...usually with at least 7K-10K students. I'd put money down that on an extremely good day only about 10% of them would have gotten that email in time to help and a good number of them would have still gone about their days as usual.

2. It's unfair for gun control retards to point at this like it's some sort of proof that they were right about...well...do they ever have a point? I'm a fan of the 2nd Amendment. I think everyone should be allowed to protect themselves. I still think that if you really believe you need an AR-15 to go deer hunting you're full of shit and probably suck at hunting something aweful, but the 2nd Amendment is pretty much an all or nothing proposition. Short of giving psych tests to anyone who buys a gun (so impractical I don't even know where to start), there's not much you can do to keep guns away from the few crazies who use them to do harm and ensure they only get into the hands of responsible owners. Getting rid of guns altogether means that the only people who have guns are criminals and I think we can all agree that's not an attractive idea.

3. The media needs to stop. Period. Not just with the coverage of this story, but altogether. I keep hearing them talking about how people need to hurry up and "start the healing". Bad idea. "But oh Steve, how can that be a bad idea?". Simple. By saying that the healing needs to start, they're essentially telling you to forget about bringing it up and asking questions. It's true, this country is packed to the gills with retards who don't ask any questions, but that shouldn't include media outlets. They're primary job is to relate the simple answers to simple questions: who, what, when, where, how, and why. They've got all of them down but that last one and they seem pretty content to let it slide. Sure, they'll parade 10 different "experts" out with 10 different opinions, but it's all based on assumption and conjecture.

4. Stop pretending like this is the worst thing that has ever happened. It happens all over the world everyday. And even despite what the news is saying, this isn't even the worst school killing spree ever...it's just the worst school shooting. If you were to look at killings in terms of VT body count, there are two "Virginia Techs" in Iraq everyday (and don't for a second pretend that all or even most of those people are bad guys). It seems like we're pretty selective about who we're willing to feel bad about killing off. Innocent Americans dying...tragedy. Innocent anyone else dying...pass the sports section. I'm not saying it's wrong to feel sensitive about what happened, but if you're going to then at least have the decency to pull your head out of your ass and feel bad for everyone else, too.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika

Last edited by GT40FIED : 04-21-2007 at 07:57 AM.
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote