::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2003, 03:53 AM   #1
y2k-honda

Turbo Kit Question?

Hey guys I have a question. what u all think about this turbo kit for a 95 honda civic EX 1.6 vtec (soch).
does any body know much hp or hp% would this turbo kit increase to my car ?

Greddy Turbo Kit

After I buy the turbo kit, later on I'm going to buy an intercooler but now I need to know if this turbo kit is a good turbo kiy ? and also I need to know how many hp or hp% would this turbo kit increase to my civic with out an intercooler ?
please replay me back
thxs
y2k-Honda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greddy_turbokit.jpg (7.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 11-11-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
nonovurbizniz

I think that's not one of the better kits...

I'm pretty sure the revhard is better...

the fuel considerations for just about any kit SUCK...

Most people end up buying a kit because they want ease of install... and then end up spending almost the same amount of money on trying to make the "kit" actually work well.

If I were you I'd start doing LOTS AND LOTS of research and save while you're doing that...

Do it once do it right.

If you don't do your research you're going to end up with less than you hoped for more than you thought.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
cashizslick

Talk to Thermal about buying the Greddy kit.

Anyways, the kit is a good buy at 1500$ with an intercooler.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Greddy kits are cheap now since there are many other companies make a kit for D16s. Actually, it will still be hard to find a GReddy turbo kit with intercooler for $1500 but it is very very possible on ebay. You can even go to www.homemadeturbo.com/forum and get a used custom (not a pre-fab kit) for less than $1000 with intercooler. As far as HP gain, your boost pressure and tuning directly controls that gain. The rule of thumb is 1 psi is equal to 8-10 HP gain with tuning efficiency. The GReddy kit comes with a stock internal wastegate setting at 5.5 psi... so do your math..... approximately 50 more or less HP but a noticeable gain. I would like to emphasize what nonov said about the fuel management. I've gone thru every BASIC way to manage fuel to compensate with boost. It is the most annoying task. The GReddy blue box sux arse. The boost dependent FMU sux cuz the N/A to boost transition bites and is not really healthy for your engine. Go to my website and learn most of the basic stuff www.thermal99.com. Another thing to keep in mind is that, your 00 civic has an OBD2 ECU. This ECU is very sensitive to sensors which makes it hard to tune with turboed Hondas. I'm getting ready to switch to an OBD1 P28. Lastly, Hondaman-iac sells all kinds of turbo kits. He gives discount to members here. Goodluck.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
y2k-honda

???

what turbo kit you all recomend me for my car ? out of this 4 turbo on the pic's. please choose one.
Turbo 1, 2, 3 are greaddy and number 4 is Turbo Specialties Superior Power Turbo Kit . turbo 4 is a T20 turbo. i want at least 50-60 hp extra

Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 PM   #6
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

personally...since 1 and 2 look to be practically the same thing, but 2 having less parts...3 being a race setup (see manifold design)...4 being w/o any kind of manifold...
Id choose the standard greddy kit (looks like #1) and then get a fmic from spearco (or a decent used on on egay)...it being a 2kcivic (Im guessing from your sn) you'll have to repin the bluebox to different locations (see thermal's site...i believe he has it there)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:23 PM   #7
nonovurbizniz

If your response to VERY clear explinations is "???"

My recomendation is you stay WAY away from a turbo kit... unless you KNOW (not assume or they tell you) that there is a local shop capable of installing it and tuning it CORRECTLY...

And in that case I'd install whatever turbo kit THEY recomend... they may have LOTS of experience with one and getting it to work great... and then you show up with one that someone you NEVER EVEN MET has picked out from a picture you posted on the internet...

Either take the time to learn what you need to learn or don't do it...

Get a swap... or stick to simple NA stuff like I/H/E, cams etc...

Most any shop (even a gas station could do cams for you (if they can't GENERALLY they'll tell you to save themselves the headache.)
Old 11-12-2003, 01:48 AM   #8
thermal
Banning Machine

Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by y2k-honda
what turbo kit you all recomend me for my car ? out of this 4 turbo on the pic's. please choose one.
Turbo 1, 2, 3 are greaddy and number 4 is Turbo Specialties Superior Power Turbo Kit . turbo 4 is a T20 turbo. i want at least 50-60 hp extra

Okay dude. You have to read what I said up top. I'm not gonna make a decission for you. There are so much more factors to consider:
1) One thing that I'm gonna tell you straight up is that your OBD2 ECU, like mine, sux ass when it comes to tuning it with turbo. I had my GReddy kit for almost 4 yrs now and still tuning it. Do not get me wrong. The turbo kit is kick ass on stock setting of 5.5 psi.
2) Are you worried about emission? Not all turbo kits are "street legal" meaning, you are not supposed to drive it on the road for normal commute. GReddy, FMAX, and Edelbrock should be street legal.
3) For 50-80 HP gain, any kit will get you there. It just a matter of how much boost you want to run providing ample fuel is supplied with the additional boost. Most turbo kits, regardless of which brand has a setting between 5-8 psi. That will surely give you the 50-60 HP....... again depending on the tuning (fuel being most important).
4) Keep in mind that these turbo kits also uses different sizes of turbo. This goes off to another topic..........
5) Here's the punch line. How much money are you willing to spend?

To be honest with you, GReddy is a wonderful kit. But for somebody like you who seems to be in a hurry to get a turbo set-up done, get a more complete kit like FMAX or Edelbrock. Otherwise, stick with N/A, be patient, do more research, and make your decission..... Just my 2 psi......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-12-2003, 02:34 AM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i like the edelbrock kits. i know they are twice the price of the greddy, but it's a lot more complete, or so it seems.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 06:14 AM   #10
y2k-honda

Found it

thxs all of u for the help. i found the one that i'm going to get, alot of people recommended me this turbo.I really dont have to much money on me right now to affort the intercooler so, i'm going to get this kit and later on i'll get the intercooler. this turbo are recommend for most of the sellers aout there. so i'm getting this one cause i really looking for to gain 50 to 70 hp. another question. how many hp% is per psi. Greddy TD04H-15G Turbo Kit
By the way check this site, one of my friend done it to his car. he got same car i got and hi get that turbo kit, that is the one i'm getting too Greddy TD04H-15G Turbo Kit check this site.

The Rubo Kit

Swap Turbo
Old 11-12-2003, 06:39 AM   #11
y2k-honda

?

another question. the turbo kit that im getting for is adjust to 5psi fron factory so my question is how many psi can i adjust the turbo kit with out the intercooler.
Some information about my car
1995 Honda Civic EX
1.6 Vtec (SOHC)
So how many psi can i run on this car ? i was thinking about 8pss. so what u all think ? is 8psi enough but if i can get more that psi sound good too
help me up plz KD
Old 11-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #12
thermal
Banning Machine

See dude, you screwed me up when you have a username y2k-honda. I thought you have a 2000 Civic. Anyway, it doesnt matter since I based all my replies on a SOHC VTEC.

I have the same turbo kit..... well, what's left of it. I do not recommend to immediately run higher than 5.5 psi stock GReddy setting. Leave it alone for now and let your car get used to it and your driving habits compensate to it. GReddy will not set that at 5.5 psi if it was not safe at that level. You can run max of 8 psi with the kit without any modification except a boost controller. However, I highly advice to get an intercooler before you leave the 5.5 psi range. At the same time, you should also get a high volume fuel pump (255 LPH). If you boost at above 8 psi, you have to get a set of bigger injectors with a minimum of 400cc to compensate with your injector duty cycle.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #13
y2k-honda

Thxs

thxs thermalfi'd16 for the help my other's question and hopfully the last one's
5.5 psi how may hp or hp% would increase ?

would this T.V.V.C.
Mechanical Boost Controller from greddy would work on that rubo kit that we been talking about

Old 11-12-2003, 04:35 PM   #14
thermal
Banning Machine

Yep. That MBC is one of the best. A little to pricey for me. I have a turboXS sMBC (single stage).

Also, get a high flow catalytic converter. It makes so much more of a difference. I installed mine today it my turbo spools up in no time. I will go ahead intall my B&M command flo and hopefully dyno tune this weekend, as long as my friends dont bug me about fixing their cars.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-12-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
y2k-honda

??

hey thermalfi'd16 where can i get a dyno test ? u know to see how much hp my car is pussing ?
Old 11-12-2003, 05:22 PM   #16
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that's not a bad price for the turbo. i know i am selling them for $1550 shipped

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 05:38 PM   #17
y2k-honda

?

nah is not to bad. hey thermalfi'd16 or any body how about this Standard Boost Controller. is it a good one ?
another question how many hp% or hp is per each 1psi

Old 11-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #18
sohc_vtec 2NR

i've heard nothing bad about turbo xs products and about your question regarding how much hp per psi of boost its.... 8-12hp/psi or so i was told...
Old 11-12-2003, 10:37 PM   #19
nonovurbizniz

You can make a "boost controller" (it's just an adjustable bleed valve)... out of common parts at home depot for under 12 bucks.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:42 PM   #20
thermal
Banning Machine

Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by y2k-honda
nah is not to bad. hey thermalfi'd16 or any body how about this Standard Boost Controller. is it a good one ?
another question how many hp% or hp is per each 1psi

^^^That is what I have. Great product!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-13-2003, 05:16 AM   #21
y2k-honda

Re: Re: ?

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
^^^That is what I have. Great product!

So with this Standard Boost Controller I can go from 0psi to how many psi. or how does it work ?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #22
nonovurbizniz

You won't get 0psi with that...

It only tricks the wastegate into NOT opening (by bleeding off boost pressure before it gets to the wastegate actuator)..

So you'd go from the MINIMUM amount of boost the turbo provides stock to as much as it could produce with the wastegate closed...

Running any turbo too far beyond what it's rated to isn't the best idea though because you can over-spool the turbo causing bearing wear... and possibly blowing the turbo.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:26 PM   #23
thermal
Banning Machine

well said nonov. I really advice that you keep it at stock GReddy 5.5 psi for now man. Learn your car and compensate with it's new character. It will be a totally different feel after you slap that turbo in....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-13-2003, 11:48 PM   #24
nonovurbizniz

Hey thermal... did you ever try the "SMC/dsm injector" combo?

That was the best "rig" solution that I heard about when I was planning on going turbo.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:58 PM   #25
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by thermalfi'd16
well said nonov. I really advice that you keep it at stock GReddy 5.5 psi for now man. Learn your car and compensate with it's new character. It will be a totally different feel after you slap that turbo in....

I would have but I already have the VAFC prior to the release of the SMC. That is why I have the AFC and DSM 450cc combo instead. It works great as long as I stay at or below 10 psi boost to avoid a MAP CEL code. My friend does have the SMC/DSM 450cc combo and it works well. It's the cheapest solution to a better fuel management than an FMU

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-14-2003, 11:10 PM   #26
nonovurbizniz

don't tell me that...

I may go nuts and turbo my car for the 200 bucks a smc and dsm injectors would cost me....
Old 11-14-2003, 11:23 PM   #27
thermal
Banning Machine

he he he he..... honesty is the best policy

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #28
Slick

All GReddy turbo kits are good products, I dont know what people are talking about saying they aren't. They are Mitsubishi turbos. The kits for the SOHC motors are the 15g, or the new 19T for the 96-00. W/ an intercooler, BOV, boost controller and good fuel mangement you'll have no problem running 10 psi on STOCK INTERNALS. This is good for around 110-120 whp, and low 14/high 13 second passes.

Also, compared to kits such as the Rev Hard, or the Drag III kits, the Greddy kit won't make as much power. You are much better off buying the Greddy kit, due to the fact the Drag III kits come w/ a T3/T4 turbo (much bigger). While these turbo's will give you more high end power, the will take a long time to spool. Also, the factory internals can only hold 250whp, which can be reached even on the Greddy turbo.

As for running w/o Innercooler, I'd highly suggest otherwise. You'd be ok at 5.5 psi, any higher and you're risking your engine. I don't know about you, but my Civic is my daily driver, which I rely on daily to get me to Point A and Point B, and I'm not gonna risk it at the expense of HP. If you wanna get a low cost innercooler, I'd suggest a JohnnyRace Car Innercooler. Go to www.johnnyracecar.com. Then you can order some piping from JC Whitney and have a FMIC for around 300-350. If you really don't have even THAT cash, and are gonna run boost anyway, go to a junkyard and buy a side mount innnercooler from a DSM. They are good for a decent amount of boost. Though, my personal choice is the Greddy Type 31 FMIC. Lastly, make sure you buy a BOV also, I'd even suggest one at 5.5 psi. They aren't for cool noises, they are to release the air going back to your intake, and are there for safety reasons.

If you are going to up the boost, my suggested method is w/ an AFC Hack. Buy larger injectors and one of Apexi's AFC's (SAFC/VAFC). You can trick your ECU this way, and properly tune your fuel. You won't even need a missing link this way.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:57 PM   #29
sohc_vtec 2NR

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick
All GReddy turbo kits are good products, I dont know what people are talking about saying they aren't. They are Mitsubishi turbos. The kits for the SOHC motors are the 15g, or the new 19T for the 96-00. W/ an intercooler, BOV, boost controller and good fuel mangement you'll have no problem running 10 psi on STOCK INTERNALS. This is good for around 110-120 whp, and low 14/high 13 second passes.

Also, compared to kits such as the Rev Hard, or the Drag III kits, the Greddy kit won't make as much power. You are much better off buying the Greddy kit, due to the fact the Drag III kits come w/ a T3/T4 turbo (much bigger). While these turbo's will give you more high end power, the will take a long time to spool. Also, the factory internals can only hold 250whp, which can be reached even on the Greddy turbo.

As for running w/o Innercooler, I'd highly suggest otherwise. You'd be ok at 5.5 psi, any higher and you're risking your engine. I don't know about you, but my Civic is my daily driver, which I rely on daily to get me to Point A and Point B, and I'm not gonna risk it at the expense of HP. If you wanna get a low cost innercooler, I'd suggest a JohnnyRace Car Innercooler. Go to www.johnnyracecar.com. Then you can order some piping from JC Whitney and have a FMIC for around 300-350. If you really don't have even THAT cash, and are gonna run boost anyway, go to a junkyard and buy a side mount innnercooler from a DSM. They are good for a decent amount of boost. Though, my personal choice is the Greddy Type 31 FMIC. Lastly, make sure you buy a BOV also, I'd even suggest one at 5.5 psi. They aren't for cool noises, they are to release the air going back to your intake, and are there for safety reasons.

If you are going to up the boost, my suggested method is w/ an AFC Hack. Buy larger injectors and one of Apexi's AFC's (SAFC/VAFC). You can trick your ECU this way, and properly tune your fuel. You won't even need a missing link this way.

tru dat tru dat...

although the new greddy kit 19T has larger injectors and all you need is a bov, intercooler, turbo timer, boost controller...and ur set!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #30
Slick

The 19T comes w/ 310cc injectors I think, I'd probably want to go w/ some RC 440cc's or DSM 450's. Just my opinion.

Oh, and I also forgot, buy some 2 step cold plugs. Preferably NGK, I think you can even some at Autozone. And pick up some sealant.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:26 PM   #31
nonovurbizniz

I've heard NOTHING but complaints from people who bought the greddy kit... it's NOT complete... and the fuel management SUCKS... When they first came out there were like 10 posts a week about someone trying to figure out how to properly fuel their greddy kit'd civic...

Also I wouldn't recomend a DSM sidemount intercooler... audi's saabs and porsche's ALL have Much better much bigger intercoolers for around the same price as a dsm one... The dsm sidemounts are basically worthless imo...

I don't know if greddy changed their fuel management... but all I've ever heard were negatives...

And the SVAFC cost like 5 times as much as the SMC... I'd go with the smc and 440cc injectors over the more expensive harder to tune vafc hack.

And bov's are to stop boost pressure from surging back to the turbo.. not the intake... When you put in the clutch and the engine speed slows... the turbo stops producing boost... so if there's not blow off valve then that boost pressure surges back to the turbo and tries to spin the turbine backwards... this can blow your turbo VERY quickly...

BOV's should be on ANY turbo car.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #32
Slick

Maybe when the Greddy kits first were released, people didn't like them, now they are very popular. The reason I say when they were first released is because people might have been trying to tune them on the 'blue box', the piggy back FMU that came w/ the kits. Now they come w/ E-Manage. I don't have the VAFC, but from what I see, it doesn't seem hard at all to tune. If you can find another IC besides a DSM Side Mount at a junkyard, than by all means go for it, but a side mount should hold up suffficently.

As for being unhappy about the Greddy kits, high 13's are easily reached on STOCK INTERNALS. One guy just ran a 13.9 @ 100mph on 17"s
Old 11-18-2003, 09:31 PM   #33
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick
....As for being unhappy about the Greddy kits, high 13's are easily reached on STOCK INTERNALS. One guy just ran a 13.9 @ 100mph on 17"s

How much boost?

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
Old 11-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #34
Slick

10-11 lbs.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 PM   #35
thermal
Banning Machine

not bad....

Project Teg