::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
CD5Passion

Terry Shiavo

I've been seeing nothing but this whole ordeal, and how the for the third time have removed her feeding tube and she is now in the 6th day of starvation. curious on everyone's opinions, I honestly hope they don't put her tube back in and that she passes peacefully.
like hell would I want to be kept alive in a state like that.

Last edited by CD5Passion : 03-24-2005 at 11:30 AM.
CD5Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:38 AM   #2
Duckydos

She is brain dead and has no hope of ever 'living' again, even if she is kept alive. Just my personal opinion.

Sorry, I know it's aweful, but somewhat funny.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
CD5Passion

her parents are awfully naive to think that some miracle will bring her brain back. their just being too clingy to let her go and it pisses me off to no end that they would put her through it all
Old 03-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Wren57

Philosophically, I do not believe it is the right of any human to take the life of any other human. Who is Michael Shiavo or the courts to say she should be allowed to die when the possibility of keeping her alive exists with a rather simple solution.

That said, I would never want to be kept alive in a vegetative state. If I don't have the capability to process complex thought, which is what makes a human a human, then I wouldn't want to continue existance for the sole sake of existing; that seems pointless.

The fact in this case is that it IS possible to keep her alive, it IS possible she is feeling emotion and it IS possible SOMETHING might be discovered or happen to allow her greater interaction with the world. She never spoke of or wrote of a wish to die if in a vegetative state. Therefore, she has not given her declaration of intent in her current state, so we can NOT allow her to die.

It all comes down to the almighty dollar. If her family/insurance or someone else is paying for it, let her live. Sad, but that's the way it works.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

I think it goes both ways. With out technology I would be dead. I was born with a 0% chance of living. But because someone decided to keep me alive and try some procedures and operations on me. I'm alive, and yes. The doctors and everybody said it was a miracle. I even made it in to some books with my condition, so anybody that says she should die, doesn't really know what it's like. Then there is the other side of the arguement....gotta let nature take it's course sometime or other you know. It's a very touchy subject and no one person is right or wrong.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #6
CD5Passion

^i guess that is true but still
how do we know that her and her husband did not talk about this and he promised it to her that he would pull the plug if the time arose?
im sure couples (well the ones worth being together) dont sit down and write down everything, they can rely on trust alone. but who knows. thats why when I get married I will have a written agreement for cases such as this.
anyways I wonder who would want to live the rest of their life on a bed unable to do nearly anything by themselves...
Old 03-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

i think if they are going to kill her,then give her a lethal injection or something. i mean dieing of starvation and dehydration just seems like a shitty way to die,IMO
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i dunno, i haven't followed the case closely, but starving someone is the least humane way to kill someone (sure worked great in the middle ages), but a lethal enjection, or something less painfull will do (i am not even sure if she feels anything or responds to any stimulants

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #9
Daviso27
3rd Gear

I live in Central Florida so Ive been hearing about this for over a year now...What the news does not tell you is that she had an eating disorder...anorexia/bulimia one-of-them...she had starved herself to the point that she began having health problems..she had a severe heart attack that left her brain dead...now they removed her feeding tube...for what...for her to starve to death...The Irony is disturbing!
Daviso27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #10
CD5Passion

I do agree on you with that, I'm still not sure why they are choosing to just let her starve to death.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:21 AM   #11
-.NsaNiTi.-

Dont get me started on this one.

The fact is that EVERY other doctor aside from the court appointed one have clearly stated that she IS NOT in a vegitative state. Shes speaking, a machine is not running her body. I think that the husband has his money now, and should let her parents, the people who brought her into this world, choose her path. The whole husband situation sounds a bit slimy, not only does he have a new woman and kids already, but hes already made sure he owns all rights to any sort of book or movie which will be written based on this whole mess. He's been in it for the money from the start, and as soon as he got the malpractice money he told them to starve her. I think its ridiculous, they arrested a 12-year old boy for trying to give her an effin ice cube. Its sad that its come to something like this.

blah i need to cool down.. people.. lol
my .02
Old 03-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I'm sort of middle of the road on this one.. I personally wouldn't want to live like that, but there is a very slim chance that she could possibly recover. Like Derek said, if its meant to be, then anything could happen. However, I don't know if starvation would be my choice of being put down.

I've also heard of people that are in a veggie state with zero detectable brain activity, and later make a 100% recovery.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I'd be all for it if it was the parents making the call. Her husband has a clear conflict of interests. Like Nsaniti pointed out, he's with another woman with whom he has 2 fuck trophies. He's moved on and now the only thing standing in the way of his marriage to the new woman is the less-than-trivial matter of his current marriage to a woman who can't sign divorce papers. This guy is a piece of shit through and through. If he really wanted to do the right thing, he'd turn over legal guardianship to her parents, divorce her, and never look back. Hell...we all already know he's an asshole. What's one more log on that fire? Another woman he dated after his wife had her heart attack...wait...did I say dated? I meant stalked. Anyhow...this woman gave a court deposition to the effect that she asked him if what he was doing was really what Terri wanted. His response (to paraphrase) was "How should I know? We were 25. It never came up.". I can honestly say that if I were in her position I would probably want them to pull the plug. Problem is in her case there's no "plug" to pull. She's breathing on her own and not relying on anything except a little food and water via a tube. Killing someone via starvation has to be about the most unethical thing I can think of. I mean...if I locked a mentally retarded kid in my closet and starved him to death I'd go to jail. However, slapping "M.D." behind my name would give me carte blanche to "let someone die" (nice way to say "murder by indifference"). If it were me, I wouldn't want to be kept alive like that for 15 years or at least have my best interests looked out for by my family. But hey...it's not me so I don't have any say in the matter.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote