pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

yeah...I should probably close it
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #42
nonovurbizniz

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMFantasy2k
wow i must say pdiggitydogg, you are right on.
For all of you other mechanical boneheads out there, vtec is when a hydraulic actuator switches to a different cam lobe on a camshaft, hence vtec ( i think its variable timing and electronic lift control0 or something like that. That is why if you look at a regular camshaft, and a regular camshaft, you will see extra lobes on the vtec camshaft. I have a 2000 ex with a vtec, and it doesn't have the stickers on the outside or on the valve cover although it is a vtec. My only question is where is the vtec actuator? i'm curious to know where and how this stuff works.

As to v-tec being overrated, i think not, it is a wonderful techonlogy, but it is not outstanding since many manufacturers have replicated it. It is however noticible because my buddy has a non vtec civic with a d15 and when he drove mine he said it was amazing compared to his. However i don't think it provided a substantial power gain when it comes on as some people were saying.

Vtec is not an actuator...

At a preset RPM a selonoid (electric motor that pushes an arm out or in a certain distance) allows oil pressure to pass it... this oil pressure then presses against a pin in your normal lift rocker arms (two of them (one per valve)) which connects them to a secondary higher lift rocker arm (the lift is from the higher "extra" lobes on the vtec cam) there by making the primary and secondary rocker arms lift to the higher vtec lobe height (the two rockers that actually ride on the normal lobes are not being physically contacted by the cam beyond the normal lift... they are pinned to the secondary rocker that is riding on the higher lift vtec lobes) essentially being lifted up by the middle rocker arm (there are 3 per cylinder per side (intake/exhaust)).

My car makes VERY dissappointing power below vtec... and at the end of vtec... but at a certain point (4k-6k) the car has very good power for an all but stock car.

Also... at this point vtec is about the worst variable valve control sytem out there... I don't know too much about the new vtec systems in the k series engines... but for the power it gains it sure does add a LOT more mass and contact areas. It's certainly not the best design in the world... but it works pretty damn well imo.