::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
insomniac

Make the D16Y7 More efficient?

Is there a way to make the intake manifold more efficient? Leading upto wanting to do a Zex kit whats a good step after I/H/E, I don't want to put the Zex on quite yet so I have a seperate account savin up what I need all the guages etc.. that comes with it. Are the AEM Cam gears good for the use in combo with NOS? What other things should be done, I don't want to do pulleys. The goal is high 14s to low 15s in an AUTOMATIC 4 DOOR civic. Its a 1999. Can it be done?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:21 PM   #2
insomniac

BTW for those who don't know it would be a DX motor thats in there. And yes swap is out of the question.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:25 PM   #3
Azkikr111

have you considered a new car?...jeez man, i got a d16y7 and i wouldnt even consider putting any performance on there, maybe an intake for the gas milage...

anyways, if your hellbent on getting quick times, especially in an auto, look into racing chips, i hear that Jet chips are really nice (though rather costly)
Old 03-11-2002, 07:29 PM   #4
insomniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Azkikr111
have you considered a new car?...jeez man, i got a d16y7 and i wouldnt even consider putting any performance on there, maybe an intake for the gas milage...

anyways, if your hellbent on getting quick times, especially in an auto, look into racing chips, i hear that Jet chips are really nice (though rather costly)

hhehehehe I hear ya but my realistic goals aren't that high as i'm not looking for any 13 second or faster timeslips or anything. I'm not giving up the car now cuz I'm pretty much done my show portion and want so go factor so its definetly staying hehehe.
Old 03-12-2002, 01:58 AM   #5
Mr Sleeper

Just go with a nitrous setup or go foced induction.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:43 AM   #6
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

AEM intake and N2O work fine together.. You are just going to run a dry kit right. Id make sure the engine is in good shape compression tests, etc..
Old 03-12-2002, 07:49 AM   #7
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Make the D16Y7 More efficient?

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
Is there a way to make the intake manifold more efficient? Leading upto wanting to do a Zex kit whats a good step after I/H/E, I don't want to put the Zex on quite yet so I have a seperate account savin up what I need all the guages etc.. that comes with it. Are the AEM Cam gears good for the use in combo with NOS? What other things should be done, I don't want to do pulleys. The goal is high 14s to low 15s in an AUTOMATIC 4 DOOR civic. Its a 1999. Can it be done?

High 14's, low 15's will be tough. The cam gears will help eventually but not right off the bat.
I believe I saw an article on putting an EX manifold on a DX engine. I might be wrong though. I'll look around for it again.

A good step after I/H/E is suspension if its not already done. Also look into weight reduction. For every 100lbs you can gut out, you will shave about .1 off your 1/4.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:23 PM   #8
insomniac

Re: Re: Make the D16Y7 More efficient?

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

High 14's, low 15's will be tough. The cam gears will help eventually but not right off the bat.
I believe I saw an article on putting an EX manifold on a DX engine. I might be wrong though. I'll look around for it again.

A good step after I/H/E is suspension if its not already done. Also look into weight reduction. For every 100lbs you can gut out, you will shave about .1 off your 1/4.

Yeah I keep getting mixed opinions of reaching my goal, some say it will be easy after I nitrous it others think it will never be acheavable hehehe. Suspension is already done btw and I don't really want to strip the interior of the car. I guess only time will tell if I hit this goal or not. I woulda it wouldn't have been too too hard but I guess i'm wrong hehehe. The Y8 head does bolt up yes but its hard to find around here or else its like 700$ or more.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:33 AM   #9
BrandonClaps

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Sleeper
Just go with a nitrous setup or go foced induction.

isn't nitrous FI?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:39 AM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

insomniac,
I was actually just talking about the intake manifold not the head. Those should only run about $70US at most. Try www.car-parts.com.

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps

isn't nitrous FI?

Nope. Nitrous doesn't create boost.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:37 PM   #11
insomniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
insomniac,
I was actually just talking about the intake manifold not the head. Those should only run about $70US at most. Try www.car-parts.com.

Nope. Nitrous doesn't create boost.

I just saw the link further down of the intake manifold swap. So i'm gonna loose my AEM CAI if I do this swap :(

Gonna call around and see if I can find one. Your 70$US isn't from the Dealer is it?
Old 03-13-2002, 04:45 PM   #12
insomniac

I just called the dealership and the intake manifold is 235$ CDN so about 140$ US, anyhow he said the part # is different for the automatic and the 5spd??? I thought they were all the same? Since I have an auto I would get the Auto one right? What would the differences between them be?
Old 03-13-2002, 09:07 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
I just called the dealership and the intake manifold is 235$ CDN so about 140$ US, anyhow he said the part # is different for the automatic and the 5spd??? I thought they were all the same? Since I have an auto I would get the Auto one right? What would the differences between them be?

Now that's a new one. I wasnt aware of that, but I gess your dealer should know. Yeah you would get the suto one in that case.