::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2002, 01:18 AM   #1
richmclaren

Who makes good brake pads?

I have my factory pads on right now, but they spit out so much black dust that I have to wash my wheels every few days. I was wondering if anyone here knew of a good brand (or brands) for "dustless" pads. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:00 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

EBC or Hawk HP + brake pads. they are about 4-5 times more expensive than the regular pads but they will incerase the braking performance too. if u get a lot of dust on your wheels it's not only because of the pads, but because of the rear wheels which are not effective and let the fron brakes do more braking than they should.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 05:26 PM   #3
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
EBC or Hawk HP + brake pads. they are about 4-5 times more expensive than the regular pads but they will incerase the braking performance too. if u get a lot of dust on your wheels it's not only because of the pads, but because of the rear wheels which are not effective and let the fron brakes do more braking than they should.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I had my brakes checked not too long ago by two different mechanics (one at the dealership) and they both said they were fine. However, I get a decent amount of dust on the rear wheels too. I'll be changing out my rotors and pads within the next few weeks anyway, so maybe that will help.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:11 AM   #4
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Dont get AEM pads. Im not all that happy with them.
Old 09-06-2002, 02:37 PM   #5
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Dont get AEM pads. Im not all that happy with them.

The only Honda that AEM does not make pads for is the 94-97 Integra RS model: and that's what I have. I wouldn't get them anyway, though.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:11 AM   #6
93geesrrr

factory pads are the way to go, at least stay away from metallic compound pads(not good for rotors)
Old 09-10-2002, 05:02 AM   #7
fadednite

whats wrong with AEM brake bads?
Old 09-10-2002, 12:37 PM   #8
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by fadednite
whats wrong with AEM brake bads?

Well, mine arent that old and they have a little bit of a squeel to them. Other then that they are ok I guess..

Now that I think about it.. I havent washed my car for a while.. I wonder if its just brake dust.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:59 PM   #9
richmclaren

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

Well, mine arent that old and they have a little bit of a squeel to them. Other then that they are ok I guess..

Now that I think about it.. I havent washed my car for a while.. I wonder if its just brake dust.

Brake pads that squeal aren't necessarily bad, especially when they're not even that old. The main reason why they squeal is probably because they're soft and softer pads are better than hard ones.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:28 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

nah, the main reason a pad squeals is theta because it's getting even unworn. sometimes the metal linings on the back of the pad jumps out of place making it step uneven on the rotor, and causes your car to sound like a damn bus when braking

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 08:41 AM   #11
Lncl23

i've got AEM pads and powerstop cross drilled rotors and i've never heard a sound. knock on wood.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:38 PM   #12
Violent Apathy

yeah don't ger metallic compund pads no matter what the salespeople tell you, they will **** up your rotors

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Violent Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote