::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2002, 01:09 AM   #1
HoOn

High Flow Catalytic

Hello! I was wondering what a High Flow Catalytic will do in a I/H/E setup?

The Catalytic is the only thing thats stock and I was wondering if I got a high flow Cat what would basically happen in terms of performance and possibly sound??

Thanks in advance =)
Old 02-09-2002, 01:11 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Just like doing your exhaust, it lets the system flow more air. You will see some minor gains, and an I/H/E setup isn't complete without it. I thought about getting one, but I couldn't find one for less that $175... do you know where to get a cheap one?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 01:58 AM   #3
azn_nite_ryder

honestly the change is so minute that it isnt worth it... its normally done when you get the whole setup done so its way cheaper for labour but even then the part itself is way over priced for what it is.....
if you want the same thing esp depending on where you about emmission laws so the cops dont bust you, is that you take the existing cat on the car and bang out the cement thingy inside.... poof instant hi flow cat that looks stock!!!

BUT heres the whole problem.... 95% of the time you take off your cat you will fail emmissions testing for sure... and the fines are not pretty.... but just so you know...

funny thing is tho... im taking my chances cuz i banged all mine out.. so when cops harrass me im like but look its stock!!! ahahah even tho its not really there.....
Old 02-09-2002, 02:14 AM   #4
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

What kind of sound change was there when you gutted the stock cat? Did it make the sound raspy at all?

Old 02-09-2002, 03:18 AM   #5
azn_nite_ryder

no it doesnt... not a noticeable sound at all.... maybe kinda sounding more free flowin?!?! i dunno but that might just be in my head.. hahaha.. oh well... it'll only start sounding raspy or kindy poppy if you completely remove the cat and put a straight pipe thru as well as getting rid of the flex pipe... it really sounds bad when those 2 are removed....
Old 02-09-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Cool, thanks for the reply.

Old 02-09-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

do you know where to get a cheap one?

http://www.carparts.com/parts/newsea...rtnum=NONE&dc=

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 04:16 PM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Performance wise, your aftermarket exhaust is useless without a high flow cat.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 06:51 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Do you think anyone would ever know if I gutted my stock cat? There is no emissions testing here, and I don't think anyone else would find it, right?

Maybe I'll just say it was like that when I bought it I'm seriously thinking about doing this now.

Old 02-10-2002, 02:16 AM   #10
BrandonClaps

u should be OK if u gut it or drill a hole through it, over on clubsi.com in the sale forum someoe is selling a high flow cat for $50
Old 02-10-2002, 03:28 AM   #11
azn_nite_ryder

Quote:
Do you think anyone would ever know if I gutted my stock cat? There is no emissions testing here, and I don't think anyone else would find it, right?

Maybe I'll just say it was like that when I bought it I'm seriously thinking about doing this now.

unless there is emmision testing... theres no way of authorities ever finding out that its "not there".... its only a lil secret that you can keep.....
you dont have to find anyone to do it... you can do it yourself... besides you get the exact same result as tho you bought a high flow cat.... and it looks stock so cops cant bust you.... i think you should do it... i did to mine... hehehe
Old 02-10-2002, 05:20 AM   #12
accordboy00

Do all GReddy exhausts come with complete cat-back systems that are street legal?
Old 02-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #13
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by accordboy00
Do all GReddy exhausts come with complete cat-back systems that are street legal?

I believe Greddy's exhausts are all street legal. They come with "cat-back" systems, meaning that they replace everything from the cat--->back, and leave the stock cat alone. If you want a high-flow cat, you'll still have to buy one.

Old 02-10-2002, 03:50 PM   #14
BrandonClaps

Quote:
Originally posted by azn_nite_ryder

unless there is emmision testing... theres no way of authorities ever finding out that its "not there".... its only a lil secret that you can keep.....
you dont have to find anyone to do it... you can do it yourself... besides you get the exact same result as tho you bought a high flow cat.... and it looks stock so cops cant bust you.... i think you should do it... i did to mine... hehehe

how did you do it?
Old 02-10-2002, 08:31 PM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:

here in oh nobody asks you to see the cat. if u ask the muffler shop to remove it you get a 2500 fine. if u go for the emissions check and they see that you do not have a cat they will refuse to do the testing. no police dood will want to see the cat.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #16
azn_nite_ryder

i asked the shop to bang it out for me..... they used one of those rubber malots to bang it out.... but i believe they also put something in it to help it break apart..... i'll find out how it was done.. then i'll repost again how to do it....
i was almost busted in the summer cuz the cop did this retarded inspection of my car. made me pop the hood and everything.... and asked me about my exhaust... blah blah blah.... but to make a long story short.. he did ask me if i still had my cat on.... and i said yes.. you can see for yourself.... so i showed him... and he did let me go....
Old 02-10-2002, 09:17 PM   #17
JudoAnt
1st Gear

I wish I read this yesterday!!!

MAN!,, I replaced the cat-back on my accord yesterday (2-9-02), and I debated weither or not to gut the cat. I had such a hard time getting the back three bolts off. That when the front two did'nt come off I said the heck w/ it. I was curious though about the architecture of the inside of the cat. Is there any metal inside, or is it just that honey-comb stuff inside? Could you take a broom handle and knock it out? Could it be done,, in theory??

Also, for anyone that cares, I put an APEX WS cat-back on, and it sound very stock. Really quite, but noticible gain in power.
JudoAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:19 PM   #18
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Yeah, he couldn't tell w/o you removing and showing him the cat, right? That would have sucked to get a huge fine for a couple hp gain

Old 02-11-2002, 12:08 PM   #19
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I wouldnt make any holes in it..

Not for any performance or legal issues, but simply for environmental reasons.

Oh and without the catalyser, the exhaust smel is very different.. bad... A slightly informed cop, mya be able to smell it..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote