::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2003, 02:09 AM   #1
Duckydos

Oil changes suck!

Damn, I don't know about previous generation's, but changing the oil on my '98 Accord sucks so much. See, I feel kinda dumb paying someone else to change my oil, it's such a simple thing to do. So, I go home and try to get underneath the car... no can do, too low. So, I get out the ramps and start to drive up on them, and my brother stops me. Apparently, my bumper hits if I try to drive up. So, we take off the bumper and get it up there.

So, I get under it and try to take off the oil-pan nut thing. It's torque way the fvck on there. So, finally with a breaker bar I am able to get it off, but not without a bunch of hot oil spilling on my hand. I drain the oil, it was pitch black and less then 4 qts. Not good :\ Maybe I shouldn't have gone 8000 miles and 4 months w/o an oil change. Anyway, the bolt thing didn't have any metal shavings on it, so that's good.

So, I go to take off the filter, and that isn't working either. Not only is the filter in the dumbest place ever (in the rear of the engine above a bunch of stuff that makes it impossible to get to) but it's also over-torqued on there. I finally manage to get it off. I go to put the new filter back on, but I got oil all over the place and now I can't tighten it. I use the filter-wrench as best I can to get it back on there.

Anyway, while also down there, I notice that my undercarriage is really torn up. The tow-hooks are bent, crossmembers are scratched up, the header-pipe is flattened from wear, and there are small holes in my cat. Really sucks, maybe I should stop ramping my car.

Anyway, for now I am just going to pay someone to do my oil. Not worth the hassel and aggrevation.

(Really bad picture of the scratches on the undrecarriage)

-Ducky

Sorry, just had to vent, what a stupid car.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:29 AM   #2
pbateson

You never to get a oil change? What a hole?

Well, you need go to Walt's Auto Care Centre for the lifetime oil change for 10k miles!

I did change the oil for lifetime for $189 also they have a sale at Walt's. Walt's Auto Care Centre is very good service for the oil change also exhuast pro.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:37 AM   #3
spoogenet

Seriously, the impact wrenches they use at the Honda dealership apply way too much torque to these things. They are way beyond spec.

I couldn't get my filter off (don't have the filter wrench....yet) and the drain plug was a pain to loosen as well.

b
Old 06-17-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh i hear you. i usually use my jack to raise the car so i can change the oil. and yeah the oil filter is in the dumbest possible place.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 02:26 PM   #5
vtracer20

you gotta be kidding me....you own your own car and dont even change ur own oil.....come on......i dont trust anyone else under my car, plus to get synthetic into my car it cost over 50bucks....and with me doing it, it only costs 30 for oil and filter.......arrrrrrrrrrr had to vent
Old 06-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh, lowered cars are a ***** to change the oil. trust me cause i know.

Old 06-17-2003, 03:16 PM   #7
Duckydos

Yea dude, when you can't even stick your head under the car, much less your whole body (and trust me, you really have to get under there to do an oil change on an Accord) it makes doing the oil a *****.

Plus, there area always these flyers and mailers for local businesses and they have deals like $15 (which is only like $5 more then doing it yourself) for an oil change, not bad. Actually for a while, I was getting free oil changes from Honda. The dealership fvcked with my car and that was Honda's way of saying sorry.

-Ducky
Old 06-17-2003, 03:53 PM   #8
Mushroom

I have to drive my fronts onto homemade 2x6 ramps (normal ones to steep) just to get the jack under the jack points to lift for an oil change.

Gets easier once you do it a few times. It took forever my first time (complete with hot oil, breaker bars, etc) but gets better. Spend $2 and get a filter wrench, but hand-tighten when you put it on - much easier. Also, start the drain bolt with a wrench but finish taking it out by hand; you can reach up above it so you don't get oil on you (or, in my case the first time, in my eyes).
Old 06-17-2003, 09:23 PM   #9
Duckydos

Yea, my jack won't fit under the jack-points either. I have to jack from *cough*other*cough places. In other news, since there is no other place to really put this, I was messing around on photoshop today. I always thought that a 4-door convertible would be cool, but it looks kinda dumb. I still need to add seats, new rims, and maybe some spoilers... Anyway...
Old 06-17-2003, 09:55 PM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

did someone start biting on those tires ?

Old 06-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #11
vtracer20

lol...those are the new breed in performance tires
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM   #12
Grip72

haha...tread baby..tread
Grip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #13
pimpinprelude

humm maby a popo spike strip??? anyways yea i STILL cant get my filter off. now its all crushed and stuff. uhhh its soo hard to get too.. its like under the intanke manifold and up aginst the fire wall.... uhh jeez its like the thing was made so scrony japs could get to it or something...... well thay forgot about us big fat lazy americans.... no offence to japanese peoplez.. but its a fact of life that tay are small in size.. just like americans are usaly overwieght...black ppl... well are black... and east german girls have hary backs....:o

Last edited by pimpinprelude : 06-22-2003 at 11:09 PM.
pimpinprelude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #14
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by pimpinprelude
anyways yea i STILL cant get my filter off.

Did you use an oil filter wrench? Mine always comes off just fine when I use one.

Yeah Ducky, its a major PITA to change the oil on my car too.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #15
pimpinprelude

yea i used one.. but the last time the oil was changed in it, it was done at K-mart noo i dident take it there!!! it was beore i bought it.. but yea thay arnt know for good work...but i am afrade to start it because it is soo deformed..... i KNOW it not getting enuf oil....
Old 06-23-2003, 10:58 PM   #16
vtracer20

yeah i hate the positioning of the oil filter....you can only get it from the bottom and u really gotta get under the car....keep at it dude...make sure your on ramps or something that wont fall while under there....if worst comes to it then just puncture it with a screwdriver......i always get fram filter becuase of their grip thing on the end.....good luck
Old 06-23-2003, 11:52 PM   #17
accordracer84

I would just puncture it with a screwdriver tht is long enough and turn that B***h. I had to do the same thing for my car when i first bought it, but i had a full lift. by the way vtracer20 fram oil filters are some of the worst on the market, i was in autozone and tha manager said that the generic oil filters that are cheaper are better. Go with a WIX.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:45 PM   #18
pimpinprelude

haha yea but with my luck id just put a huge hole in it and still not be able to get it off hahaha.. but yea i am going out side to try it... thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 05:36 PM   #19
pimpinprelude

uhh i finaly got it off.. haah there are like 20 holes in it...
Old 06-30-2003, 08:02 PM   #20
vtracer20

lol...good work....use a Fram filter they got the tecture stuff on the end to make it easier to get off next time
Old 06-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #21
pimpinprelude

oo yea thats what i put on there this time.. hahaa