::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #1
Sol's Eye

I really need some turbo help.

Okay guys, admission time. When it comes to turbos, I am flat-out retarded. I have been to Howstuffworks and read about them, but I still need a lot of help in determining what I need for my car. I read the sticky and the other threads on people asking what they needed to get ready for a turbo, but I still have a few questions, and most of them are engine specific, so I thought I would just post a new thread.

I want to get either a b18b1 (ls engine, not sure if the code is right) or the b18c5 (ITR engine). It all depends on whether or not my sponsorship goes through and what it covers. So basically, I want to be ready for either engine.

Anyway, most people have said do fuel/ignition first. If I upgrade the injectors and the pump without FI will I still be spraying more fuel? Or will the fuel control system still read that it is getting regular amounts of air and not add extra fuel? Basically, will it change the air/fuel ratio? I don't want to be running rich, if I can avoid it.

A few more n00b questions: What is a blockguard? Is this necessary for B series motors? I want to boost about 12-15 psi or so, if possible. But I was thinking about getting a boost controller and just adjusting it periodically. For example, keeping it at 5-7 psi just for driving around and then turning it up on weekends or something when I really wanted to drive it. Would adjusting the boost that often cause any problems? What about boosting on an automatic tranny? Will it fry the transmission?

Sorry for all the blatant n00b questions, but I figured I may as well just admit my ignorance and beg for help from the turbo gurus. Please help!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
I want to get either a b18b1 (ls engine, not sure if the code is right) or the b18c5 (ITR engine)
A B18B (LS) is a great platform to start off with especially with your first turbo fed Honda. The compression ratio will help you a lot. A B18C5 (ITR) will work but you have to deal with a really reliable tuner due to its high compression. Do not be scared to use the ITR engine tho. I'm all about tuning High compression engines to turbo. And like you said, depending on your sponsorship status, you should be able to afford a decent turbo tuner.
Quote:
If I upgrade the injectors and the pump without FI will I still be spraying more fuel? Or will the fuel control system still read that it is getting regular amounts of air and not add extra fuel? Basically, will it change the air/fuel ratio?
Yes and No. If you use the stock ECU without and type of electronic modifier like AFC, AEM EMS, or GReddy e-manage, the injectors will still get the stock injector duty cycle BUT since the injector nozzle is bigger, it will send more fuel......
Quote:
What is a blockguard?
It is a component that slides in between the cyclinder wall to strengthen the block itself. It is great to have it for safety purposes....

Boosting 5-7 and higher on some days is not bad as long as you have the tuning to suffice it. In other words, make sure that you're fuel and spark can support either set-points. My advice is a stand alone unit that will compensate to both needs. Check out the AEM EMS or Hondata systems.......

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Sol's Eye

Thanks a ton, man. That was really helpful. I have just a few more questions for you, though, as measure of my stupidity.

Are a blockguard and cylinder two names for the same thing, or are they different? Like a sleeve goes on the inside and a blockguard on the outside of the cylinder?

By "turbo tuner" do you mean a person to tune it or a programmable system to adjust the subleties of the turbo system?

As far as the fuel system, can one set of injectors and spark plugs handle both boost settings, and the management system be adjusted to match the setting, or will the injectors and plugs have to be changed to adjust the boost?

Also, if I were to get a management system like Hondata or AEM EMS would I get the one for the Integra that matches the engine, or the del Sol it would be installed in?

Thanks a lot for the help. I am such a n00b, but I really want to get this stuff down before I decide on an engine and turbo.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:31 PM   #4
thermal
Banning Machine

Quote:
Are a blockguard and cylinder two names for the same thing, or are they different? Like a sleeve goes on the inside and a blockguard on the outside of the cylinder?
it's almost similar, except the blockguard is just a component vice a "whole" sleeve.
Quote:
By "turbo tuner" do you mean a person to tune it or a programmable system to adjust the subleties of the turbo system?
I meant a person tuning an electronic device and the whole turbo set-up......
Quote:
As far as the fuel system, can one set of injectors and spark plugs handle both boost settings, and the management system be adjusted to match the setting, or will the injectors and plugs have to be changed to adjust the boost?
The plugs and spark can be the same at both settings. Just the fuel that maybe in jeopardy. It not that big of a deal. All the tuner has to do is make sure that ample fuel will be delivered at higher boost condition for that "weekend warrior" mode.
Quote:
Also, if I were to get a management system like Hondata or AEM EMS would I get the one for the Integra that matches the engine, or the del Sol it would be installed in?
Hondatas are all (i think) OBD1 systems. So it doesnt matter what engine as long as the ECU is OBD1. AEM EMS is the same way. Just tell the manufacturer or retailer which ECU you have.........Peace!

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 08:46 AM   #5
Sol's Eye

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it. Now all I have to do is make sure my JDM engine comes with an OBD1-OBD2 conversion (I am pretty sure it does). Thanks again!