.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
spoogenet

Which Viper? And where to get installation?

Post #1.

Picked up an '01 Accord LX recently, planning on getting an alarm for it. I've dropped by a few shops in town and have narrowed my choice down to 2 shops, one shop I believe to be a somewhat local chain, the other is Circuit City. Anybody got anything bad to say about Circuit City installations?

I'm planning on getting either a Viper 500ESP or 600ESP, CC carries 600, other shop carries 500. Anybody gots anything bad to say about either of these alarms?

I'm considering getting the following:
* alarm
* window module
* audio module
* backup battery
* hood and trunk mercury 'pins' (this is what CC recommends over hood/trunk pins)

CC wants $740 installed after tax, I didn't get a full price quote from the other shop for the 500, but I think it may be a little closer to $6-650, not sure if that included tax or all the options listed above.

Anybody know much about the Ghost Switch on Vipers? They're usually advertised as using an existing switch in the car, but the guy at CC swears that it has its own switch that is hidden somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Ghost Switch (or Valet Switch, whatever it is) just for setting it into valet mode? Can't I just do that with the remote? Is there any other reason to have such a switch, and does it in any way compromise the alarm if a theif were to find it???

Thanks a lot for any info.

b
Old 03-22-2002, 02:13 AM   #2
BrandonClaps

Re: Which Viper? And where to get installation?

you asked alot of questions ;[ now i gotta answer em ok here it goes

Picked up an '01 Accord LX recently, planning on getting an alarm for it. I've dropped by a few shops in town and have narrowed my choice down to 2 shops, one shop I believe to be a somewhat local chain, the other is Circuit City. Anybody got anything bad to say about Circuit City installations?

i don't got a CC around here, but everyone says they are better then best buy. Ask them how they connect there wires. Soldier is best, but i use t-taps and i'm sure they do to. If they just twist and tape **** them

I'm planning on getting either a Viper 500ESP or 600ESP, CC carries 600, other shop carries 500. Anybody gots anything bad to say about either of these alarms?

Any viper alarm is good, just depends on what accessories you want. I had a viper before i got my compustar

I'm considering getting the following:
* alarm
* window module
* audio module
* backup battery
* hood and trunk mercury 'pins' (this is what CC recommends over hood/trunk pins)

Mercury pins hmm those are usually used to set off the alarm if the car is towed. They are easier to install and it doesn't require a huge hole for the pin switch, but i'm sure it requires to small holes in your hood and trunk. Tell them NOT to use one on your trunk and only on your hood because you already have a trunk one (your trunk light) should go on as soon as the trunk is popped, i know on my civic all the latch has to do it unlock the trunk doesn't even have to open. Let them do the mercury switch on the hood and that can also act as a safety for towing.

CC wants $740 installed after tax, I didn't get a full price quote from the other shop for the 500, but I think it may be a little closer to $6-650, not sure if that included tax or all the options listed above.

Both prices are kinda high, but your vehicle has an imobolizer and i believe both those alarms have starters with them. So thats an addition module they need to bypass the factory impobilizer turing remote start.

Anybody know much about the Ghost Switch on Vipers? They're usually advertised as using an existing switch in the car, but the guy at CC swears that it has its own switch that is hidden somewhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Ghost Switch (or Valet Switch, whatever it is) just for setting it into valet mode? Can't I just do that with the remote? Is there any other reason to have such a switch, and does it in any way compromise the alarm if a theif were to find it???

I don't believe on the vipers you can go into valet by remote. The ghost switch is exactly as you described it utilizes a factory switch for the regular options. I thought only the cliffords had them, but i guess the viper has em now too.

few thats it, time for bed!
Old 03-22-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well in my arear a 550 ESP will be $388 installed with tax and the optional relay for the remote start @Circuit city. i don't know about the 600 but it is not too big of a difference from the 500 series. BTW 550 is the 500 with the remote starter on it.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 08:43 AM   #4
spoogenet

First off, thanks for the speedy replies!

CC wants $399 for the 550 installed, just for price comparisons. They also claim they solder connections, which is good to know. The main reason I'm considering CC is that they have offices all over the place, so if/when I move, I will probably have a store locally that I can get any warranty work done (let's just hope I never need it, though).

I have a manual, so there will be no remote start for me, thus the factory immobilizer will not be bypassed, it will be in addition to the starter kill. This is why I'm looking at the 500 and 600.

As for the ghost switch, I think I need to hassle the guy more to find out why he swears it's a separate switch rather than using an existing switch in the car.

I thought the alarm could use the trunk light, but they gave no indication that it would. I guess I need to hassle the guy about that, too. So what's the deal with the mercury switch? Is it based upon a physical or electrical contact, or is it based upon some other method?

DEI claims that the alarms have remote valet as a standard feature, press 1-2-1 on the remote with the door open and it should switch modes.....or so they claim.

b
Old 03-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #5
BrandonClaps

mercury switch is liquid i believe that sloshes to the other side or somethin like that, never toyed with one. If you don't want remote start don't get either of those alarms, get a 300 or something. The factory immobilizer is only bypassed during remote start and then is back to normal after the vehicle is started. They can hook everything up, and you can bypass the switch yourself, it's fairly simple. But if your just lookin for an alarm, 600 is way to much and your payin for the remote start on those. Get a different one, say the 300, or get a clifford.

-Brandon
Old 03-22-2002, 07:31 PM   #6
spoogenet

500 and 600 do NOT come with remote start, 550 does.

On the datasheet, do you know what the significance of (+/-) (dual polarity) versus built-in relay is? Some of them have dual polarity, some of them have built-in relays, some have both. These are usually for things such as power door locks.

I might look into the 300 anyways, though, it's got most of the same stuff as the 5/600, but doesn't have as many zones or built-in relays for things....

b
Old 03-22-2002, 10:37 PM   #7
BrandonClaps

oh i thought the 600 had the remote start.
dual polarity should off both triggers for door lucks and parking light output maybe trunk output. Built in relay, they usually have 1 wire that u connect to whatever the trigger is say u needed postive u connect the wire to 12v and the other wire to the lock or whatever u needed it for. Built in relays are just easier for the installer, anything can be done externally.
-Brandon