User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2005, 09:06 PM   #1
nonovurbizniz

Turbo Project DEFINATELY going ahead.. advise needed

Alright...

I've been planning on turboing my car (93 civic ex coupe d16z6 with 207 THOUSAND miles) for about 3 years now however I haven't had the money to even think about it too seriously...

I never figured I'd have money enough to do it "right"... so I've been leaning towards the Junkyard setups. Having worked at a junkyard I actually aquired a couple of parts.

However, I started a new job last year and the xmas bonus was just plain unbelievable.

I techinically have the money to do almost ANYTHING I wanted to the car or even sell it and get something faster out of the box.

But I also have kids so... JY setup it is still.

Mainly I've got:

Porsche 944 all aluminum FMIC (BIG).
Aluminum intercooler piping from saabs (TONS of it).
ARP head studs
Cometic HG for boost
Zex/Comp Cam stage 2 with Valvesprings (going to buy the retainers now too)
Fidanza 7lb FW
MSD External coil mod

I MAY be able to go back to my old job and score a free turbo/dp but I don't know that might not pan out at this point. If so it would be a stocker off a saab or 944 prob no more than 7-10 psi MAX.

My plan thus far is to socket my ecu myself and spend the extra money so I can program on the fly. Which also means buying a used laptop to do the tuning.

I'll most likely go with free software. Crome or UBerdata or whatever (SUGGESTIONS PLEASE)

Some TSI/GSX 440cc injectors
Upgraded fuel pump

SO....

Here's what I'm asking.

A. What STOCK junkyard purchasable turbo's do you all suggest... I REALLY want water/oil cooled (Please comment if you think this is uneccisary (daily driver or not I want this set up to be reliable)

I was originally looking at used IHI turbo's but I don't know what kind of boost those produce.

I just don't think I have it in me to spend 1k on a turbo even though I technically could.

B. What manifold options do I have ... I know about the HF deal with adaptor plate and I'm leaning towards this... but I figure the flow going into the turbo can't be good at all with that setup..

But again just NOT willing to spend over 300 bucks on a manifold.

I'd like to spend a decent amount on the wastegate so I have good control over the boost levels.

A decent amount on the bov (Any info on ones that DO NOT make that F'ing hiss piss noise would be great... I just want to divert the blow off back to the intake side of the turbo)

Then a decent list of all the incidentals I'm leaving off would be good too...

IE. Oil/Coolant lines A/n fittings . Suggestions on getting oil/coolant supplied to the turbo.

As much info as possible would help..

I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 2k all tolled on this. (not including money already spent obviously).

Any/All input is GREATLY appreciatted... with this new job I have ZERO time to get anything else done.