::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
seanjuan

Suspension rattles.... bushings?

I'm planning on upgrading the suspension on my car within the next few months and want to know what I can do to stop the annoying rattles that are coming from the suspension. I'm going to throw in a set of eibach pro-kit springs and some brand of adjustable shocks as soon as I decide what I want.

I was thinking that maybe the rattling is because the stock suspension bushings are getting worn out and was wondering if a set of bushings would take car of my problem?

If so I was thinking that I'd get some urethane bushings. Is this going to make my ride alot more "bumpy" or should I just get some OEM replacements rubber bushings? or am I completely wrong in my guess as to the origin of this rattling noise.

thanks
Sean
Old 06-23-2003, 12:27 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

heh i'd just jack the car up and see if you have any play at the wheels. my guess is that the rattling noises are coming from worn out balljoints, not from the bushings. even if your bushings are fine i'd higly reccomend the poly bushings. i have them and i love them to death. the ride was bumpy with the kyb agx shocks and prokits but now i have konis and ground controls. i just love the way it rides and handles.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 01:11 PM   #3
seanjuan

so if it is the ball joint, what is the damage going to be to replace/fix it?

are there any DIY's that you know of on replacing a ball joint?
I'd really like to get the damn rattles out of my car, it's quite annoying.

BTW my car has 160k on it.

thanks
Sean

-Hondaman... you used to roll with the AGX pro-kit setup and thought that it was too bumpy? what settings did you have on the AGX's? How does the adjustability of the Koni's differ from the AGX's?

thanks
Old 06-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

replacing the balljoinjts is pretty easy. you could get a chilton's or haynes manual for that. it will give you a better how to than i can.

and the kyb's were set at 2(out of 4) for front and 4(out 8) for the rear. konis on the other hand don't have any preset settings, they will turn 720 degrees continously but they are so easy to adjust. i higly reccomend them.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:23 PM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

replacing the balljoinjts is pretty easy. you could get a chilton's or haynes manual for that. it will give you a better how to than i can.

and the kyb's were set at 2(out of 4) for front and 4(out 8) for the rear. konis on the other hand don't have any preset settings, they will turn 720 degrees continously but they are so easy to adjust. i higly reccomend them.

Old 06-23-2003, 03:24 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

now why in hell did it post 2 times ?

Old 06-23-2003, 04:02 PM   #7
seanjuan

Do the Koni's have knob's on them for adjusting. I was looking at their website and it looked like you had to take them off the car to adjust them... that would suck!

The settings that you were using for the AGX's? Were those the best settings you could find after trying out all of them? How long did you have them on your car?

thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate it as I want to make a very informed purchase when I finaly drop the cash for my new suspension.

thanks

PS Do you think that the Koni's would be the best shocks to go with a set of Eibach's? I'm pretty set on those as the springs that I'll get. I don't ever plan on lowering my car anymore than an inch so it doesn't seem like it would make sense to go with GC's.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:25 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah i think the konis are the best shocks out there period. and the kyb agx's are know to be a very stiff shock.

Old 06-24-2003, 08:00 AM   #9
seanjuan

What about the Tokicos?
I have heard alot of good things about them, and a few bad things but that is usually the case with anything

I'm refering to the Illumina adjustables.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:00 AM   #10
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

hmm i don't know about those illuminas. i heard they were the only shock with adjustable rebound and damping where koni's and kyb have only adjustable rebound.

Old 06-25-2003, 08:08 AM   #11
seanjuan

Yeah, that seems to be one of their big claims. They have a lifetime replacement waranty as well which is nice.
I guess I'll have to read a big more on suspension to better understand the whole rebound/damping issue. I do enjoy learning all of this, and hopefully it will keep me from buying something that I won't be happy with

later
Old 06-27-2003, 08:10 PM   #12
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I have the Koni and eibach combo as well.. I wouldnt buy any other shock!