Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2003, 12:10 AM   #1
96civicex
1st Gear

Lowering my car

i am going to be getting some 17's soon and i am going to lower it at the same time. originally i wanted coilovers so i could get the exact height that i want, but i heard that they are kind of a ***** to adjust and they are also very stiff compared to springs. i don't want them too stiff because i won't be getting new struts any time soon. i have been thinking about eibach pro kit or sportline. if anyone has pics of a civic with 17's or close to it that has been lowered, i would appreciate it and please put exactly what kind of springs. i just want to know some that would put it at about the right height for me. thanks
96civicex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 07:33 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Coilovers are easy.. A lot of kits you dont even have to take the wheels off, just jack it up and twist. If your going to buy coilovers, I would save you money and get a good set. Not something like a coilover sleeve. Coilover sleeves can give you a crappy ride if your shocks dont work well with you springs. I would look at the Apex or Koni coilovers. They arent that much more then good springs and shocks.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
96coupe

if it were me, i'd just save up and get the struts and springs/coilovers at the same time. the eibach pro kit or neuspeed sports should be alright w/ stock struts for a little bit. if you want to get coilovers, go w/ ground controls and order the spring rates you want.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:41 AM   #4
HighLife

I have arospeed coilovers i bought down here in Miami. They are about 200$ and i bought directly from Arospeed Miami for 100$. Got em installed for 50$ from a friend. The ride is much stiffer then stock ride, but the car handles GREAT. Ive had em on about 9k miles right now and not 1 problem from them.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
96civicex
1st Gear

do you leave it at the same height most of the time and if so how much did you lower it. i just don't want to blow my struts and i'd like not to have to get a camber kit. if you've got any pics, i'd like to see them
Old 02-16-2003, 01:26 AM   #6
Senshi

i got OBXr and i've had them for about a year, and its much stiffer, but handles like a charm, never leans, and i've never had a problem, NEVER, but if you got a girl friend that is rather DEFINED (guys you know what i mean, got some big hootie hooos), then you might what to go spring, b/c i've had some girls complain about it, thats why i'm raising it up, that and, the treadwear, UGH i can't stand that
Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
96civicex
1st Gear

my girlfriend's got some 36 C's so that may be a problem
Old 02-16-2003, 04:16 PM   #8
96civicex
1st Gear

does anyone have pics or just know what a 96 civic looks like with 17's and an eibach pro kit. i would like it but i'm worried my car may still look jacked up.i don't want any "tuckin" whatsoever, but i would like to get rid of most of the wheel well gap
Old 02-16-2003, 04:18 PM   #9
TeriyakiBroccoli
5th Gear

I have a set of coilovers, really easy to adjust, they're on stock struts with almost a 2" drop (1.75 ish). When taking sharp turns, the stiffer springs definately help to keep the wheels to the ground.

everyone loves the turbizzim.
TeriyakiBroccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:30 PM   #10
96civicex
1st Gear

did you need a camber kit or anything additional
Old 02-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

i have the gc coilovers with konis. the car used to handle great until my frame made some poo. i'm gonna fix it soon.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

The camber kit just depends on how far you go down. If you go down really far, then you'll have a lot of negative camber, and you'll definitely need a camber kit. I'm in the same boat as you, as you can tell from my sig. picture. I want to get rid of some of the wheel well gap in the rear, and the the front even with that.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:16 AM   #13
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

jj what springs are you using? Eibach? Looks like your front is higher than your rear
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:38 AM   #14
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
jj what springs are you using? Eibach? Looks like your front is higher than your rear

looks to me like he doesn't have a drop at all and has something heavy in the back of his car
Old 03-18-2003, 09:44 AM   #15
FausteVonHonda

Ive had progress sports springs for over a year and a half and ive never had a problem, hell ive even been in a wreck with them, and never any problems, smooth ride
Old 03-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #16
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
looks to me like he doesn't have a drop at all and has something heavy in the back of his car

Yeah, I haven't gotten around to putting any springs on yet. I really really need too. You're exactly right though. I have a LOAD in the back, with the bandpass box, amp, speakers, etc. I actually found a coil over kit at nopionline.com. It looked pretty decent, but I don't know a whole lot about quality of springs and what kind of springs you should buy. If someone would, check them out for me here, and tell me what you think. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:57 AM   #17
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

link doesnt work...nopi's like that...shitty

I really suggest getting new shocks for the springs/coilovers 'cause your stocks are only gonna last a yr tops (and you on a dirt road probably less than that). Save up and get some Koni yellows or Tokico Illuminas and then some ground controls coilovers or eibach/progress springs (like I said the eibach have a history of uneven-ness for a while...but they do even out)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 10:34 PM   #18
JDMB16

Quote:
Originally posted by jjcivic92
Yeah, I haven't gotten around to putting any springs on yet. I really really need too. You're exactly right though. I have a LOAD in the back, with the bandpass box, amp, speakers, etc. I actually found a coil over kit at nopionline.com. It looked pretty decent, but I don't know a whole lot about quality of springs and what kind of springs you should buy. If someone would, check them out for me here, and tell me what you think. Thanks.

DAMN I'm good haha J/K

that's what it looked like to me, I was thinking you had a box back there But yeah, fix that link or whatever and I'll tell ya what I think. Also, I agree, I suggest getting new shocks, but you don't necessarily have to get Koni Yellows or Tokico Illuminas, they are really good, but you don't need them. I run Koni reds and they are REALLY good, runs smooth as hell and a lot of my friends use the Tokico blues with no complaints...the great think about the illuminas and yellows is the adjustability without having to remove them from the vehicle.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:49 PM   #19
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Adjustment without haveing to be off my car??! That would be pretty sweet. I bet they cost a lot. Here's another question, how would I go about figuring out how much of an increase my front end should have over the rear when lowering? How far should I go .. like an 1 1/2" in the front and even out the back? I also plan to get a Blitz front end (someday if ever). Then again, down these freakin' dirt roads, that's a lot of decisions to make. The shocks will only last another year?! Are you serious?! Why is that? (I don't know much about suspension, sorry.) What is a good website to look at the koni yellows? Reading pdiggitydogg's poll on the Tokico Illuminas, that's out of the picture! Let's see if this works any better:

http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...&vTitle =1992 HONDA Civic Suspension Suspension Kit&vaffid=0

Last edited by jjcivic92 : 03-18-2003 at 11:53 PM.
jjcivic92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:15 AM   #20
JDMB16

yes, they cost usually around $500. What do you mean how much of an increase?? Lower your car to the stance YOU want it at, it doesn't really matter. Yes, your stockies will last a year tops depending on how rough you are on your car ie hitting potholes and bumps and such. Reason being is that the stock shocks aren't made to handle all of that excessive pressure put on them and end up blowing out resulting in a really shitty ride. As for websites umm.... www.modacar.com www.lightningmotorsports.com these are the two I use most of the time.

Also, I believe in the saying "Do it once and do it right" I think you'll be very disappointed with those low quality springs....it's better to save up and do it right with good quality parts.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:54 AM   #21
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

don't go for aff the wall brands on springs. if u decide to go with coilovers i would sugest either ground control's or skunk2's, nothing else.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:17 AM   #22
JDMB16

hmmmm...how bout Tein, Tanabe, Apexi
Old 03-21-2003, 11:59 AM   #23
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMB16
hmmmm...how bout Tein, Tanabe, Apexi

out of his price range. the least expensive is the koni with 960 shipped
Old 03-21-2003, 02:12 PM   #24
JDMB16

heh, I was just giving you a hard time man
Old 03-21-2003, 05:14 PM   #25
jjcivic92
2nd Gear

Sorry, I haven't responded sooner - out of town. Anyway, I really appreciate all of your help. Check out the new HS Tuners logo, awesome (off the wall, but ohh well).
Old 03-22-2003, 01:10 PM   #26
akemi27

what's wrong w/ agx's & gc's? (i'd go w/ the koni's if had the money right now...BUT have yet to hear something really bad about agx's )
Old 03-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #27
hurikain

actually i have been recommended for that agx/gc setup, simply because the koni's and gc's are not a direct fit, i have heard you would need an adapter to fit them which is an extra 30-50 bucks, so i would rather go with something that is supposed to fit.i have heard no complaints about the agx's and they are a little cheaper than the koni's both 5 way adjustable if not mistaken.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #28
JDMB16

yes you need adapters, but Konis are worth the money bro. There isn't anything "wrong" with AGX's but they aren't as good as Konis.