Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Political ads

How many people think these ads effect anyone? I mean honestly...if you are so easily swayed that a TV ad convinces you to vote for one person or another, just don't vote. You are obviously too easily influenced by rhetoric and should therefore effectively silence yourself...preferably by eating a bullet. Most of the ads I've seen have focused on the "war on terrorism" and who's winning and who's doing what wrong and other bullshit. Let me tell you folks something...by our own definition of terrorism, war is in fact the ultimate form of terrorism. Such a statement proves antithetical to any campaign. Economic statements are also useless because, while you may reach one section of the populous, you risk alienating two others. This is NOT a statement of what I think should be done on November 2nd. This is a pure and simple "fuck you" to all of the political ads running right now that I'm sick of and whose very existense degrades us all. If you didn't know who you liked more before watching a political ad, just don't vote. You'll be doing the rest of us a favor by removing your own dipshittery from the voting pool. Everyone has a voice...but many of those voices are apparently moronic.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #2
IALuder

i mute my tv or change the channel.

the only thing that matters is the debates. even tho, 85% of the time they are lying about what they are going to do. thats were you should make up your mind.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:29 AM   #3
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

i cant wait till nov 3rd. and this whole mess of shit "should" be over.. pending recount

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCantSkate
i cant wait till nov 3rd. and this whole mess of shit "should" be over.. pending recount

Should!!! but......?

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ok, so i am not the only one that thinks those ads should be banned from tv

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Kyle
elyK

I don't think i've seen 1 political ad on tv(for the presidential race anyway)
What do these commercials say?

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

bush did that, kerry voted agains that

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #8
CD5Passion

Quote:
Originally posted by hondaman-iac
bush did that, kerry voted agains that

and that's all they ever say it really just needs to get over and done with
Old 11-01-2004, 06:22 PM   #9
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle
I don't think i've seen 1 political ad on tv(for the presidential race anyway)
What do these commercials say?

They really run heavy in and around "swing" states. Missouri is one of them, so I've seen quite a few seeing as how I'm about 20 miles or so from the KS/MO state line. Apparently Pennsylvania is absolutely bombarded with them.

And Darin...if you want them to stop...get off your ass tomorrow and go vote.

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Old 11-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #10
Kyle
elyK

Yeah man...vote or die!

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 11-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #11
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
Yeah man...vote or die!

LMAO...what the hell is that even supposed to mean? Is it like on South Park where Puff Diddy hunts you down and kills you if you don't vote? I'm all for getting people out and voting...but that's just retarded.

Old 11-01-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

^that south park episode is funny,vote for turd sandwich or a douche.thats all bush and kerry are.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #13
CD5Passion

^basically
oh and Steve, dont you worry I will be voting tomorow
Old 11-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #14
Kyle
elyK

I put my vote in last friday...i'd say may the best man win...but neither of these guys can be the best at anything...so...yeah

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 11-01-2004, 11:27 PM   #15
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
i'd say may the best man win...but neither of these guys can be the best at anything...so...yeah

Hell...even mediocrity is a stretch for those douches.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:49 PM   #16
Kyle
elyK

YOu should turn on MTV right now...it's basicly a huge attack on Bush...
I think even you will find it rediculous...

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 11-02-2004, 12:02 AM   #17
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Quote:
MTV...rediculous

You should have just joined those two words. Everything on MTV is ridiculous.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:19 AM   #18
blind34_1

Quote:
I put my vote in last friday...i'd say may the best man win...but neither of these guys can be the best at anything...so...yeah

now heres something i dont understand. you hate them both, and yet ill venture to guess you voted for one of them. I'm not ripping on you at all, but this is a VERY common theme I'm seeing.

Now I'm all for voting, but why vote according to popular opinion? What I mean is, there are MANY other choices besides bush or kerry. I don't understand why people think they HAVE to vote democratic or republican.

The opposing argument is any other party will probably never get in office in our lifetime. But does that really matter? Shouldn't one always vote for the candidate whose values are more inline with your own, regardless of if they even have a chance of winning?

...I guess I don't understand the american public.

BTW: I'm voting libertarian. fuck bush and kerry, and the rest of the popular vote.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:26 PM   #19
Kyle
elyK

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1

Shouldn't one always vote for the candidate whose values are more inline with your own, regardless of if they even have a chance of winning?
Yes, I personally hate kerry...but, I actually like bush and have a lot of the same views of the republican party(although some i disagree with totally) and that's who i voted for. I just feel there could've been a better man for the job. I don't hate both of them.

EXPLORE THE TRUTH
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 PM   #20
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

Aaron...it's really quite easy. People here are indoctrinated to think there's only two parties and a third nutjob running for any office. They mistakenly think that you HAVE to belong to a certain party. They also play heavily on what they THINK each party stands for. For instance, many minorities and people leading alternative lifestyles ( and I'm not talking solely about gays people) will tend to vote democrat since they usually feel disinfranchised by the big business corporate Amerika side of republicans. By contrast, people who are more religious or those in the military will usually vote more republican since they usually have more of a "praise the lord and pass the ammunition" feel to them. Myself...I'll vote on how I feel the country is doing. Right now I look at the country a lot like my old house. I moved out of it a few years ago and I loved that house...it was a nice house. Now when I drive by it I drop my head because it's gone to hell. That's how I feel about the country...so I want a change. As for voting for Nader...aside from having no chance of winning, even if he did win he wouldn't get anything passed. it's bad enough when it's a democratic president with a republican senate or vice versa...they're all fighting each other on everything. Imagine a libertarian president vs. a democratic AND republican senate.

And Kyle...there will always be a better man for the job. The people who would make the best politicians are the ones who know better than to get involved in politics in the first place.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:16 AM   #21
blind34_1

good description. I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this.

praise the lord and pass the ammunition...I fell out of my chair laughing.

and yeah, a libertarian prez with anything but a libertarian senate would never get anything done, there would be conflict on every issue. But I do think that when the day comes when a libertarian or anyone else does make it into office (not in our lifetime), it will be likely that public knowlege has swung from the indoctrination you described. Likely other libertarians would be voted into senate and other positions before a lib president would be elected. Unless of course by some mass coincidence nobody votes democratic or republican, and that puts a president into office with no friends in the senate or house, etc. All improbable...anyway.

very good points, man, as always.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote