::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
maxpsi

8 psi SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY?????

I am about to get a Greddy turbo w/ intercooler, BOV type s, turbo timer, boost controller (to bring it up to 8 psi after i get the intercooler cause i heard u lost some after that), boost gauge, a/f or egt gauge. It is going on my stock 2000 civic ex 5 spd. Is there anything else i need to Safely and Effectively run my car at 8 psi? ( 8psi is what i was told was the max psi to run safely on a stock civic like mine)
Old 01-08-2002, 09:47 AM   #2
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: 8 psi SAFELY and EFFECTIVELY?????

Quote:
Originally posted by maxpsi
I am about to get a Greddy turbo w/ intercooler, BOV type s, turbo timer, boost controller (to bring it up to 8 psi after i get the intercooler cause i heard u lost some after that), boost gauge, a/f or egt gauge. It is going on my stock 2000 civic ex 5 spd. Is there anything else i need to Safely and Effectively run my car at 8 psi? ( 8psi is what i was told was the max psi to run safely on a stock civic like mine)

Have you gotten fuel and ignition stuff yet to help against detenation... Example.. Fuel Pump, Pressure Regulator, maybe even Injectors,and some MSD Ignition stuff??
Old 01-08-2002, 09:51 AM   #3
maxpsi

If u get on aol soon we can talk in person. my s/n is llamahunter2001
Old 01-08-2002, 11:26 PM   #4
turbod97ex

You can boost reliably and safely on 8 psi. I have for a month. Now, I am boosting between 7 and 8 because I don't completely trust running my car at that boost without dyno tuning it. I need to get my butt into the shop and on a dyno. You can boost at 8 psi using the Greddy FCU (blue box) but dyno tune it when you crank it up to see where you are at.
If you have the cash to get engine management, $700 to $2000 for Hondata, then you can boost much more reliably at higher levels.
The Greddy FCU is "adequate" for boosting up to 8 psi and is even safer when you have 93 octane or above fuel, an intercooler, and if the weather is cool outside. That would benefit all FI'd cars too though.
The reason I like my Greddy FCU is because I want to go to Hondata soon and did not want to waste money on several other devices that Hondata would replace - VAFC, rising rate fuel regulator, etc. Anyway, hope this helps.
Steve
Old 01-09-2002, 02:57 PM   #5
thermal
Banning Machine

MAX at 8 psi is safe. just keep an eye on that a/f gauge.....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 03:06 PM   #6
maxpsi

a.f gauge? what am i watching out for lean and rich? if u want to talk online at AOL instant messenger my s/n is llamahunter2001
Old 01-09-2002, 04:52 PM   #7
thermal
Banning Machine

air fuel ratio gauge.....it reads if you're lean or rich.....the PC i'm on right now is not capable of chat or AIM......sorry man...

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 06:19 PM   #8
turbod97ex

One more thing, the octane of the gas where you are at, is it 93 or higher? When you start boosting at 8 psi you will need 93 octane.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:01 PM   #9
maxpsi

I use 93 octane gas from Shell 4ever and always.