Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2002, 06:05 PM   #1
insomniac_91

sugestions on a system

Hey guys

Just looking for some suggestions on pretty much everything. The does and the don'ts. I'm looking to get a system and don't know where to start. All I have is a Sony xplode head unit 52x4 watts flip down face. And looking to get some other upgrades. O.K. my rear deck is 6 1/2's and so are the ones on my front doors. Also would I need an amp to run those. I'm looking at these 6 1/2's Sony xplodes 200 watts, 3 ways 99 bucks a pair. And 1000 watt xplode amp that was I think about 300ish. And Xplode Subs. What kind would be a good size for my car and how much watts? And are those any good?. I'm really wanting to go xplodes all around what y'all think. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated HOLLA BACK
Old 04-01-2002, 01:43 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

you dont really need an amp to power your interior speakers, unless you listen at high volume..

To be honnest with you, XPLOD isnt really that great..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 08:18 PM   #3
insomniac_91

well any suggestions? ...... I aint tryna break no windows or shatter glass ya know. thanx for your positive insight.
Old 04-04-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
HondaTypeJ

Xplod rulez!

I love Xplod! I have it all in my ride. I have a 2 2-channel amps 1 o run the front and the other to run the rears, tweeters in the right and left Air vent, and 2 kickers in the trunk...All Xplod. I am satisfied with the sound and over all performance. ALTHOUGH, I have had to return to get my head unit twice because it kept eating my CD's. But so far I havent had the problem. Aparently, Best Buy got a batch of defective head units. Go Xplod!
Old 04-04-2002, 07:43 PM   #5
alpine3069

i had 3 jl 10w6's run by a rockford amp and i loved them i will only buy JL!!! they have a great sound to them and they are affordable!! for the inside i would buy Infinaty Kappa! i really like them! but this is just a subjestion! every has their own opinion!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Does the quality of reproduction matter to you?

Are you a sound quality fanatic?

Old 04-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alpine3069
i had 3 jl 10w6's run by a rockford amp and i loved them i will only buy JL!!! they have a great sound to them and they are affordable!! for the inside i would buy Infinaty Kappa! i really like them! but this is just a subjestion! every has their own opinion!

I agree about the JL's. Have have experimented with many different subs and the JL's have been the best, IMO. I prefer nice tight bass and the jl deliver. You don't have to have an amp to run the speakers but with high end audio you will get better sound. Its worth the money, IMO. Sounds like a decent setup. But sony doesn't make the best products. Just make sure you know what you want, example-sound quality or SPL. Big difference and you could end up spending lots of money changing things later.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 12:41 AM   #8
tooslow91crx

i woud trade my x-plod head unit and changer for a kenwood or pioneer head unit. x-plod cd players are crap, but the amps are awesome. i haven't heard too much about the speakers. the x-plod amps with the built in equalizers are great, available in 40x4 and 60x4 watts rms. i've spent hours and hours messing with my eq trying to get decent sound from my sony head unit when people with pioneer plug them in and right away sound as good as my sony. not to mention, if your cd's have the slightest scratch on them, x-plod will skip like a mofo.
Old 04-07-2002, 04:24 AM   #9
Maxvla

my xplod deck skips like a mutha. even on brand new cds... so im thinking about buying a pioneer deck off of 20Civic01.
it sounds very nice and its easy to use... just skips alot. dont understand it.
i have other xplod stuff its definately not top choice premium sound products but they work for me for now.
my subs are work horses but are underamped i think.

to the original question: if youve got a bit of money, i'd say take a look at the top polk line for interiors. and a decent 600-800W amp to power 2 subs 10's or 12's or 1 15". and everyone has their pick on subs so you'll just hafta decide what you want and what you want to spend. sony makes an amp thats right in the power range so take a look.

damn this is getting long. but anyhow, ps. kenwood cd decks are the absolute best about never skipping.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:00 PM   #10
insomniac_91

sound quality? YES

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
Does the quality of reproduction matter to you?

Are you a sound quality fanatic?

Yes I like for it to sound nice and clear and not distorted. I've been looking at these Infinity Kappa components they sound pretty clean they cost $200 at cirkut city. And I got a friend who is tryna sell some JL's W0's 3 10"s he is asking $325. I feel that is to steep for those. Because my brother has JL's 3 12" W6's and asking $300 for them. What do y'all think?

And I wanna thanx everyone for their positive feedback in my confusion and quest in finding a system..
Old 04-08-2002, 06:50 PM   #11
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Re: sound quality? YES

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac_91

Yes I like for it to sound nice and clear and not distorted. I've been looking at these Infinity Kappa components they sound pretty clean they cost $200 at cirkut city. And I got a friend who is tryna sell some JL's W0's 3 10"s he is asking $325. I feel that is to steep for those. Because my brother has JL's 3 12" W6's and asking $300 for them. What do y'all think?

And I wanna thak everyone for their positive feedback in my confusion and quest in finding a system..

Anything that is Kappa is very good SQ wise.. So just try and find the best possible price.. check out thezeb.com

you're brother is selling 3 12W6's fpr 300$ ??? If they are in good condition, you should take em.

Old 04-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #12
insomniac_91

Re: Re: sound quality? YES

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

Anything that is Kappa is very good SQ wise.. So just try and find the best possible price.. check out thezeb.com

you're brother is selling 3 12W6's fpr 300$ ??? If they are in good condition, you should take em.

Yes I would but he's back home in HI and I live in NC now. I'm thinking about that though I'm a go for a visit in May and hopefully he still got em cause he would give them to me if I asked. Thanx for the feedback I appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2002, 09:58 PM   #13
insomniac_91

2000 pimp what is SPL?
Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 AM   #14
Maxvla

spl = sound pressure level

the amount of sound a system is capable of producing.
the higher spl the louder the system.
its pressure cause sound is vibrations of air. so the higher the air pressure the more the sound as well... which is why spl peeps seal their cars and push on the doors to keep them as closed as possible.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:35 PM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Did you ever think of having them shipped to you??

Old 04-09-2002, 06:26 PM   #16
insomniac_91

lol of course. thanx max.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #17
black95gs-t

if best buy got a bad batch of sony head units, that says something about sony's quality screening process huh? and if they got a bad batch then everyone must have got a bad batch and i am wondering when the bad batch is going to stop?
j

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2002, 10:59 PM   #18
Maxvla

lmao... good point!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:29 PM   #19
black95gs-t

and FYI, Aiwa is owned by Sony. Betcha didn't know that.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-28-2002, 02:28 AM   #20
Maxvla

sure did. i knew that when i bought my aiwa shelf system like 9 years ago. its still working like a charm. cept the cd player its so freakin dirty... it'll work for a few weeks after i clean it but just a couple weeks is all.
it supposedly puts out 16Wx2 but its gotta put out more than that... cause i run two 12" woofers (not high power subs) 5" mids and two 1" tweets on it and it plays nice and clean alllll the way up (or down as you may see it) to room shaking.

i wouldnt touch the modern sony/aiwa stuff now. my aiwa stereo was built when sony's stuff was untouchable.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:49 AM   #21
black95gs-t

yeah thye used to be great. but my favorite quotes from several customers are, "i would buy Aiwa, but i hate sony!!!!!!", and "i would never touch Aiwa, i only want sony." DUMMYS!!!!!!!!!
J