::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2001, 12:09 AM   #1
DereknTX

Exclamation Bye Bye Rotary

Ok, I will be RX7less in the morning. I did come out a little less on the sale than planned so i am having to hold off on the supercharger for the civic. That said here is my plan: I want my lil civic(93 EX) to run in the upper 13s low 14s. I can add the following items this week Will it get me to my goal? Any other items you can think of?

Zex 50-75HP kit
Remove power steering
header
Remove Cat Converter
Exaust-custom made with either Apex or equivalent muffler
Upgrade ignition to Crane High Output
Competition Cams aggressive grind (optimum power will be from 2000rpm to redline)
Power pulleys
IceMan or equivalent exaust
Cam gear

in addition within 3 months I can have bigger throttle body,lightened flywheel , and port polish job on the head.
I made a decent profit on the 7 and payed of some bills. I have enough left over for the above mods. Will they get me where I want to be on the ole 1320? oh by the way, thanks for the warm welcome to the site...most of the rotary sites have freakin jerks on there...you guys seem cool.

-Derek-
Old 12-17-2001, 12:17 AM   #2
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Good to have ya. I don't know too much about how much all that will be for times and stuff. But yeah....most people are welcome here. Good to have ya.

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SUMMER!!!
KwikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2001, 12:19 AM   #3
DereknTX

Thanks for the welcome...and I say dang, that name is great...it reminds me of my name! LOL 2 dereks with civics. Small world eh?
Old 12-17-2001, 12:41 AM   #4
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Small but good world. What color is yours?
Ok everyone...lets give it up for.......US....BOTH DEREKS!!!

The epitome of stupidity is expressed so fluidly with the shity lyric theory you try to spit at me.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:45 AM   #5
DereknTX

I am picking up a mint condition 93 EX tomorrow. Red with charcoal interior...I sold cars for a long time and this is one of the cleanest used rides I have ever seen. I live about 10 minutes from JoTech performance here in Dallas, and I will be over there buying a freakin BOAT LOAD of stuff in the next week....luckily my girlfriend loves cars(Hondas, she has a 99 accord 2 door) and she loves going down to the new drag strip for the grudge matches so no gripes for spending the cash!!!tell me about your mods...and yeah...give it up for the 2 Dereks!
Old 12-17-2001, 09:10 AM   #6
KwikR6
Mind Blowing

Well I drive a pretty clean 1993 Civic CX (Shhh I know it's slow) Coupe. I just have intake on it, going to put headers, and exhaust on very soon. (Woulda already been on but I smashed my car now I have to pay for insurance.) I have Alteeza tail's, clear corners, indeglos, getting a tach mounted soon. Goign with all blue and white interior. and hopefully get my hands on a b18c5 or a b16b within the next year. Hey my gf drives an accord. Except it's an 89. hehe, and I live about 10 min away from Street Addictions (A local shop here.)

Old 12-17-2001, 10:56 AM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

How much money do you have.. Why dont you just go Greddy Turbo??? you can get the kit right now for less then $1500 from Groupbuycenter.com.
Old 12-17-2001, 11:27 AM   #8
DereknTX

I have right at $1900 available. My only hang up on the turbo is that then I need an intercooler...another $600-$700 bucks(now we are at $2100-$2200). I also do not like the idea of running a turbo on factory bottom end. I prefer forged pistons and rods on turbo or supercharger. I do not have the $1500(now we are at $3700) to rebuild the bottom end and add the turbo.
I also saw that the Greddy turbo, the one advertised on the vack of Import racer I believe, is good to 190 horse on a 92-95 civic. Well that is fine, but I want to be running about 175 all motor before I add the squeeze in the mix. That will put me at about 250-255 on the bottle. And that I would think would get me to the upper13s seek.
Do you know what people are running in the 1/4 with turbo and exaust set-up? I would be curious and interested if the times are right...but the expense is a deterrent at the moment. Please respond. I want to start adding my goodies this week but will wait if other options for speed are viable.

-Derek-
Old 12-18-2001, 09:00 AM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by DereknTX
Do you know what people are running in the 1/4 with turbo and exaust set-up? I would be curious and interested if the times are right...but the expense is a deterrent at the moment. Please respond. I want to start adding my goodies this week but will wait if other options for speed are viable.

-Derek-

Just with the greddy turbo kit w/o IC and exhaust you will probably be in the high 14's depending on the car and the driver. You can run 8-9 lbs of boost on stock internals and an intercooler as long as your properly tuned..

Dont forget you can pick up intercoolers at the junk or used on the internet for a couple hundred dollars, this will allow you to spend a little more money on a fuel and ignition stuff. Nitrous can be just as dangerous as a Turbo can if not used properly.

Heres some info from MatT3T4 about the setup:

MatT3T4 RECOMMENDED TURBO SETUPS

STAGE I: The Daily Driver
~Light buildup, daily driveability/reliability, inexpensive, occasional racer, mostly street legal.
--Civic SOHC; VTEC & non-VTEC

Turbocharger
>GReddy turbo kit
>GReddy intercooler kit: small one
>GReddy Type-S blow off valve

Ignition
>MSD 6A
>MSD Blaster 3 Coil
>MSD Pro Cap
>NGK Blue Wires

Fuel
>Holley 255LPH In Tank Fuel Pump
>B&M Command Flo
Exhaust
>GReddy EVO
>Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat

Bolt-Ons
>AEM cam gear

Tuning
>A'pex V-AFC: for VTEC
>A'pex S-AFC: for non-VTEC
>GReddy 2mm Metal Head Gasket
>Missing Link Check Valve

Gauges/Electronics
>GReddy boost gauge
>GReddy air:fuel meter
>GReddy oil pressure gauge
>GReddy turbo timer
>GReddy Profec A or B boost controller

---E.T.A.---
Quarter mile times can drop to as low as low 13's depending on your setup. Good tuning, ample fuel & spark, with race gas, and about 14psi will net you 13's. Safe street driving with this setup well tuned should be around 10psi.

MatT3T4's Webpage <- Go here for more info

Last edited by Racing Rice : 12-18-2001 at 09:03 AM.
Racing Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 03:56 PM   #10
DereknTX

Exclamation

Thanks!!!!! I have thought alot in the last couple days about how I want to approach this. My girlfriend says go turbo(Aren't I lucky to have a chick that loves tuning cars) And like you said, the NOS can eat a motor up as fast as a turbo, so may as well have the power all the time with turbo.

Now a question. How many people are required to be on the group buy to get the discount. I saw no one participating on the Greddy buy at the group site listed. More info please.

Oh yeah. My Grand dad runs a Buick grand national with freaky boost and he was telling me he has a used intercooler available to me, so there will be some custom piping done but it will work.(His GN with alot of mods...like $10,000 worth on the engine, rearend and tranny runs mid 10s in the 1/4...I am soooo jealous. can you say"Gramps, ya gonna will that car to me when you croak?"

-Derek-
Old 12-18-2001, 07:29 PM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by DereknTX
Thanks!!!!! I have thought alot in the last couple days about how I want to approach this. My girlfriend says go turbo(Aren't I lucky to have a chick that loves tuning cars) And like you said, the NOS can eat a motor up as fast as a turbo, so may as well have the power all the time with turbo.

Now a question. How many people are required to be on the group buy to get the discount. I saw no one participating on the Greddy buy at the group site listed. More info please.

Oh yeah. My Grand dad runs a Buick grand national with freaky boost and he was telling me he has a used intercooler available to me, so there will be some custom piping done but it will work.(His GN with alot of mods...like $10,000 worth on the engine, rearend and tranny runs mid 10s in the 1/4...I am soooo jealous. can you say"Gramps, ya gonna will that car to me when you croak?"

-Derek-

I think for that Groupbuy there isnt a set number to get the discount but you may want to check first..

Thats cool as hell about your Gramps.. I would mind having a GN myself just to play with, but you cant find one of them cheap anywhere. Sounds like he knows a thing or 2 about turbos.. Its always good to know someone that does.

And I know what you mean about the Girl thing.. Im supposed to be getting married next year, and I said I need to save some money for the Wedding and stuff, but she keeps telling me to get the turbo... I thinks shes planning to steal my Civ after I get it T'Charged, and give me her Civ.. She has another thought coming..
Old 12-19-2001, 09:57 AM   #12
derrick75225

Where are you guys finding girls like this!! LOL!! I don't get it! You better hang on to em, cause there aren't many out there! I had a girl that "said" she loved cars, but got pissed when i bought parts over an engagement ring. I just thought it was too soon. She thought I loved my car more....women!! :P

Anyhoo. I am brand new to the site. Just got rid of my rotary as well. Am trying to decide what to get.

Derrick with 2 r's
Old 12-19-2001, 10:16 AM   #13
DereknTX

Welcome Derrick with 2 rs! I am rather new to this forum as well, so far I have been made very welcome. As for what car to get...well what do you like? Or more importantly, how much are you willing to spend? Keep us posted on any decisions you make.
As for where did I meet my girl? Well I was actually introduced to her by her parents. I work out at the same gym as they do and they made the hookup.
Old 12-19-2001, 10:18 AM   #14
DereknTX

Oh yeah. derrick ...is that your zip code75225? If so I am in the dallas area as well, Mesquite actually, 75181.

-Derek-
Old 12-19-2001, 10:20 AM   #15
derrick75225

Yes I am in Dallas....Cool...you have instant messenger or anything?
Old 12-19-2001, 10:24 AM   #16
derrick75225

I use yahoo...derrick75225, if you want to talk sometime...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:45 AM   #17
derrick75225

I work in sales at Lute Riley Honda....So I am waiting for something good to come in. A lot of the trade ins lately have been sucky Fords!! lol!!

We'll see what happens. For now I have a jeep.
Old 12-19-2001, 11:05 AM   #18
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Welcome to HS derrick75225

Man, working at honda, youve got the best chance to find a decent one. Thats cool..
Old 12-19-2001, 11:08 AM   #19
derrick75225

Yeah I'm just waiting on a good deal. Since I have a car for now I want the best for my money.

Hey Derek, where did you find your Civic? Sounds like you got a good one....
Old 12-19-2001, 01:04 PM   #20
DereknTX

Yeah. I have yahoo messenger. my ID for that is

unbroken75149

Drop me a buzz. When I get my lil car runnin we can head out to the races. Check out this site

www.dallasracing.com

-Derek-