::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2003, 07:18 AM   #1
93Honda

First thing to put in

I'm now just getting enough hours and pay to be able to modify my car, and so i was wondering what do you guys and gals think i should do to my car first. Oh, this is for racing and high top speed (i have nothing but open roads near my house and i hit 115 almost everyday)
Old 06-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Well, are you willing to save up for big stuff, or do you want to spend the cash now?

Big stuff: swap, turbo = big speed
Little stuff: Sounds like you should do your suspension first since you drive really fast. First engine mod - intake is good.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 08:04 AM   #3
93Honda

i was thinking suspension and intake too lol. about how much will each cost me. I know intakes are like 100 but how much for the suspension.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

suspension should coust around $1k (give or take a few hundred)

get
koni yellows
good springs

dont chince out...its suspension

PM Hondaman-iac for good prices and good stuff
of
www.styledright.com
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
oc civic

i think you should buy a roll cage and harness since you insist on driving your economy fwd car like its a race car.. its only a matter of time till you hit that little spot of water or ice, a deer runs out in front of you, or your tire explodes, and you are sent sideways into a tree....

what kind of tires you got on that thing...
Old 06-05-2003, 01:10 PM   #6
93Honda

all weather, high traction, road hazard tires, they're like 200 dollars a pop. I don't drive on flimsy tires, i'm crazy, but not suicidal. Oh, and to me there's nothing wrong with driving my "economy" car like a race car. I enjoy the thrill of driving. Hell my grandfather drove freaking formula 1 cars over in europe. It's in the blood.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #7
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

What brand/model tires are you running? Are you on the stock 14s still?

Anyway, let us know how much you want to spend on this so we can actually help you out. BTW, and AEM CAI is around 185, not 100, and it one of the best, if not the best.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:33 PM   #8
93Honda

i want prices that are in the middle of the range of prices. I've seen intakes from 70 up to 230 so i'd want to spend around 150-160 or a little bit more for a high quality product. Same with pretty much everything else. My totaly plans include, new suspension, new exhaust, intake, turbo, new wheels, and to redo my gauges and interior.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:35 PM   #9
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

so....if you want to boost why get an intake then? Just send me the $150 that you'll waste on it when you boost.

and lets keep it under 85 on public streets alright
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #10
Mischief(LTS)

i agree with oc. and another thing, if you want a fast car. you could 1. try and make a slow car faster by dumping countless hours and money into it. OR

2. buy a car that is already fast (dodge stealth RT TT, 3000gt TT, *basically the same car* or something to that extent that wont cost an arm and a leg. ebay motors has some outstanding deals on some 3000gt's for about 10,000 and under. and by the way, the 3000gt twin turbos have about 310 horsepower stock. any other add-on you put in the car will actually ADD a noticeable amount of horsepower. not that you need it in that car...
Old 06-05-2003, 03:55 PM   #11
93Honda

i think i've conveyed the wrong message to all of you. I don't go flying 100 down urban streets, when i say open roads i mean, OPEN FREAKING ROADS, i live out in the country and it's a 45 minute drive to get into town. I do realize the risk i'm taking when doing those speeds, but i'm not reckless about it. If there are other vehicles, pedestrians on those roads I don't floor it. But your right i'll slow down and stop the high speed casket runs.

On another note, can someone exactly explain to me what turbo charging a car does. I know it increases performance a lot but beyond that i have no idea how it works or what it does. I'm asking this because pdiggity said send him the money i waste on the intake when i boost. Does turbo charging invalidate my intake.

I am a total newbie at this, you guys know this, just looking for some answers.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:09 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

This is a good site to learn about fundamentals, and here is a turbo topic:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

You won't need the intake when you go turbo. I think you'll understand better after reading this.

Old 06-05-2003, 04:50 PM   #13
Mischief(LTS)

simplified: the more oxygen that gets into the engine, the more efficient and powerful the *explosions* in the pistons are, thus increasing horsepower. a turbo charger/super charger is what is called Forced Induction (PUSHING air into the engine). the same principle follows with Nitrous Oxide, it is an oxidizer which when mixed with the fuel, creates more efficient, more powerful controlled explosions within the pistons. a super charger is a beefier, more powerful way of forcing air into the engine. it can increase your torque/horsepower upwards of 100+ horses. a turbo charger, given done right, can increase your horsepower upwards of 50-70. it is for this reason that turbo/super chargers are one of the more costly methods of increasing your maximum power. on a side note about super chargers: i don't reccomend this unless you have a higher performance engine to get the most benefit out of it. Super charging also introduces the problem of pistons over heating. this is caused when the.. (yep you guessed it) pistons over heat due to excessive pressure and use. and eventually give way and can cause a rather nasty and perhaps fatal engine explosion<--worstcase :P
Old 06-05-2003, 06:29 PM   #14
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX
Well, are you willing to save up for big stuff, or do you want to spend the cash now?

Little stuff: Sounds like you should do your suspension first since you drive really fast. First engine mod - intake is good.

I disagree, if you're going ot be going fast, then i think you should do suspension...you obviousely don't have a problem getting to 115, but when ya get there, its nice to feel stable, and on the road....but an intake wouild be nice ALONG WITH some coilovers, if oyu have enough money.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:39 PM   #15
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING
I disagree, if you're going ot be going fast, then i think you should do suspension...you obviousely don't have a problem getting to 115, but when ya get there, its nice to feel stable, and on the road....but an intake wouild be nice ALONG WITH some coilovers, if oyu have enough money.

Yeah, I worded that wrong. Probably because I never got to go to sleep last night

Suspension is very important no matter which route you take.

Old 06-05-2003, 11:27 PM   #16
93Honda

alright air intake and suspension it is, i don't have the money for turbo/super charging my car.
Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 AM   #17
sohc_vtec 2NR

everybody is right about tuning the suspension first since you do go 115...but don't forget about upgrading your brakes also! its also very important if not a neccesity...its great to have a stable feel at high speeds with an upgraded suspension but your gonna have to stop sooner or later....
Old 06-06-2003, 06:16 PM   #18
nonovurbizniz

mischief...

not trying to tear you apart. but....

A. dogdge stealth and 3000gt's look good on paper that's about it... they're CRAPPY CRAPPY cars... it all sounds good till you work on one. they blow. they're worse money pits then a civic could ever be.
B. Turbo is not inferior to super... superchargers generally produce lower boost AND drain power off the crank where the turbo gets its power from the exhaust so it's FREE power.. also most HIGH boost (with the exception of top fuel) apps run turbos not superchargers.

My suggestion to the original poster is to save your money and read A LOT more about this stuff before you go making I'm gunna do this to this engine decisions... decisions like this should be WELL INFORMED.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #19
venom122
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 94_AcCoRd_EX

I agree with with AcCoRd on this one. Since i'm still paying for my car I just installed an intake and now I'm working on suspension. Can't afford a major mod yet.
venom122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 12:28 AM   #20
JZ Performance

haha

Quote:
Originally posted by nonovurbizniz

A. dogdge stealth and 3000gt's look good on paper that's about it... they're CRAPPY CRAPPY cars... it all sounds good till you work on one. they blow. they're worse money pits then a civic could ever be.

I AGREE
Old 06-16-2003, 02:15 PM   #21
DJWURM

Stickers! tons of them... they add at least 15 horses each!

hehe j/k