::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #1
CRAZYCIVICKID

turbo or supercharge???

Ok everyone, thanks for all the input that you guys have given me. I have decided but I am still undecided I want to add a turbo or a supercharger, not quite sure which I want to do. I have had turbo in the past, and have driven a supercharged car, help me decide on which one to put in, Well thats if its even possible to put in....I own a 96 honda civic lx but I haven't seen one for the engine that I have which is a D-16.... is this not a good engine to have in my civic????

Thanks, Crazy
Old 06-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
ShEaNy

I'd swap ur engine first.....B16B maybe? then i'd go JRSC....
if it will fit....and if u can afford it..
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 09:52 PM   #3
juvenile

SuperTurboed B18C! ummmmm (dunno if this is possible, I'm just fawkin around hehe)

sorry, I know I'm not much help
Old 06-15-2002, 11:21 PM   #4
sparklingxtasy

uh... i think supercharged is better... yeah.... i think...
Old 06-16-2002, 02:26 AM   #5
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by sparklingxtasy
uh... i think supercharged is better... yeah.... i think...

*BUZZ* Wrong answer. Turbochargers own superchargers.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
midjjj

Well this whole answer depends on a few factors. I have seen both supercharged and Turbocharged. The D16 isnt a bad block, IE the 96 EX has a VTEC D16Y7. You should ask this ? in the turbo forum, but in deciding, think about turbo lag and what both do to your powerband. If you don't know about this stuff, def read up before you get either. Let me know if I can help more.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:56 PM   #7
Lovebuzz13

Turbo
Old 07-04-2002, 08:52 AM   #8
toykilla

The only single downfall to turbocharging over supercharging is turbo lag but how much does the lag hurt? I hit full boost in my car at 3500rpm's. 3500rpm comes fast as hell in 1st gear anyway. I dont even think its noticable if your starting from a stop.
Old 07-04-2002, 03:18 PM   #9
ShEaNy

Torbo is the best 1psi = 10hp
Old 07-08-2002, 10:31 AM   #10
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
Torbo is the best 1psi = 10hp ]

huh?
1) i'm not sure that your equation is exactly true and, more importantly,
2) what's the difference between 1psi of boost from a turbo as opposed to a supercharger? i don't think the motor cares too much where the boost comes from...

supercharger-> no lag, plus install is easier. a supercharger generally doesn't beat up an engine as quickly as a turbo either: no oil circulation through that big hair-dryer to gunk things up.

turbo->bigger "range" of boost available, that is, one can usually acheive more power with a turbo, but it's at a cost...
Old 07-08-2002, 10:30 PM   #11
ShEaNy

someone told me every 1 psi of boost....ok... Rougly....equals 10hp....give or take.....:o i have no idea anyway...im not an forced induction man...
Old 07-10-2002, 07:38 PM   #12
FasterThanLight

hey it's coo man. 1psi boost(compressed air) will give you a ~7.1% increase in power theoretically, everything else being equal.

once you start boosting, things change within the motor. most notably, temperatures rise, and for every 10 degree increase in intake temp, power drops off... 10 or 11 percent... depending on what day of the week it is. not coincidentally, that's what intercoolers are for- the act of compressing the intake air heats it up(2nd(?) law of thermodynamics) some, or a lot, depending on the efficiency of the turbo/supercharger. the i/c cools it back down.

so- 7psi boost(.5bar) gives a theoretical increase of 50%... which means jack, except for hang on and enjoy the ride!
Old 07-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #13
ShEaNy

ahhhh ok thanks! now i know! lol
Old 07-10-2002, 07:56 PM   #14
ShEaNy

lol i just tried this out ... if one psi of boost = around 7.1% increase then for my car roughly 145hp * 0.071 = 10.2 hp LOL pretty close.... if thats right....:o
Old 07-10-2002, 08:01 PM   #15
FasterThanLight

yep, that's a pretty good estimate. i was just thinking about a friends 5 liter saleen mustang that had a vortech. he eventually ran 14psi boost- but for him every 1psi was worth 21hp- 600hp at the crank. that was a fun car to ride in. anyway, i wasn't trying to be all smarty-pants, but if you know the math behind things, then you can figure stuff out and not just have to guess... uh yeah. that's it. have fun!
Old 07-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #16
ShEaNy

LOL damn i need more basic engine horse THEN a turbo......ill be moving after that!! hehe *(looks for an h22)*
Old 07-10-2002, 08:16 PM   #17
FasterThanLight

yeah, that's kind of a problem... and money just doesn't grow on trees, or i'd have my jrsc, 18s, and lowering all done already.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:18 PM   #18
ShEaNy

Ya got that right!!! *(still looking)* lol
Old 07-11-2002, 02:00 AM   #19
toykilla

superchargers are also belt driven which means that your actually making the engine do 1 extra thing to push the extra power. Turbochargers use WASTED, yes wasted exhaust gas to power the turbine. what more can you ask for?? something that uses wasted gas and puts it to work in a positive way. **** a supercharger. i dont think i saw any 6 second supercharged mustangs at fun ford weekend. they were turbocharged.
Old 07-11-2002, 07:16 AM   #20
onlyNls

Turbos rule, nuff said.
Old 07-16-2002, 02:20 PM   #21
FasterThanLight

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla
superchargers are also belt driven which means that your actually making the engine do 1 extra thing to push the extra power. Turbochargers use WASTED, yes wasted exhaust gas to power the turbine. what more can you ask for?? something that uses wasted gas and puts it to work in a positive way. **** a supercharger. i dont think i saw any 6 second supercharged mustangs at fun ford weekend. they were turbocharged.

hey buddy, hold your horses... both superchargers and turbos add parasitic drive losses to an engine they are added to. the thing is that they make way more power than they take away. superchargers add drag by way of belt, turbos create backpressure on the exhaust.

did you happen to see any top fuel/nitro dragsters? i don't think i saw any turbo car run a sub-5 second et... but seriously. you say **** a supercharger, i say weigh your options.
Old 07-16-2002, 03:52 PM   #22
blownteggy

what up faster..gotta represent for the JRSC!!!! oh yeah one more thing. this whole super vs turbo thing so old. it's useless to compare them. it's like apples and oranges!!!
Old 07-16-2002, 04:15 PM   #23
FasterThanLight

fo sheezy... JRSC is off tha heezy. haha! props to snoop for the gansta slang.

hey teggy... does the jrsc make any gear whine? can you even hear it over the motor?
Old 07-16-2002, 04:27 PM   #24
blownteggy

DUDE....you will hear that sucker!! trust me. ever watched the indy 500? just listen to the cars. it sounds like that. nice smooth whine...when i used to streetrace my teg, everyone could hear it when i ran someone. i let my cousin race my car so i could hear it. 3rd gear is the best to hear the sc...
Old 07-17-2002, 09:37 AM   #25
FasterThanLight

that is awesome... i looove the sound of blowers. i don't actually know anyone(in person) that has one on an import, so i can imagine that will turn some heads. like, "what the f*ck?!?!?!" haha...

do the turbos that go on import sized motors make an audible "whistle"? the sound of metal through air at 100,000 rpm... wheee

here's what sucks: i bought my car to be a commuter, but now i like it too much to run it into the ground like that. i think i'm going to have to refresh the motor in my ghetto style 86 accord(not actually that ghetto, but it is a little rough around the edges). i don't know what motor it has other than a ... uhh... either 1.6 or 1.8 L. i think it's 1.8. my bro has been using it since i bought the teg, so i haven't seen it for awhile. anyway, i think that's where my money is going before i get the charger. i've had the teg for 3 months and have already put 14000 miles on it... sheesh.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:15 AM   #26
blownteggy

the whistle for a honda is not that notiveable. what wiill get you noticed is the BOV goin off. when i fisrt got my teg in 99, it had 24,678 miles. the lady who sold i to the dealership was from conneticut(sp). in 6 months i had 42,000 miles.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:36 AM   #27
toykilla

nothing is better than giving a blow off valve salute. =D pisssssss
Old 08-10-2002, 09:57 AM   #28
dj_tessai

Quote:

I was waiting for sum1 to say this, if not then we would have broken out the books and skooled ya son?! Also sumthing to think about is your suspension and Clutch, once you have taken care of these two areas you car will support more of a launch.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:12 AM   #29
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
nothing is better than giving a blow off valve salute. =D pisssssss

Exactly

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote