.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > New Kid on the Block
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2002, 11:16 PM   #1
bootstrap

I don't know anything about cars, does that make me a bad person??

I don't know much, and the little i DO know is from my friends talking about their cars and shit. I dont' know how to install anything, shit i don't even know how to put in oil or washer fluid.. so when i order and intake or exhaust for my car, does that make me some sort of "fake" car person, b/c i can't install it myself or something? PLEASE, I NEED TO FEEL ACCEPTED!
Old 04-21-2002, 02:16 AM   #2
Lovebuzz13

Why don't you learn how to do it yourself? Intake and exhaust are nothing- they're the easiest thing to install
Old 04-21-2002, 03:56 AM   #3
bootstrap

why was my post edited???
Old 04-21-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
4jacks

Read the Owners manual... that will tell you where all the fluids go ... as for learning how to insall stuff, just be thier when your freinds are installing thiers... or ask one of them to help you install yours ..

Happy Honda'ing
4jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 02:05 PM   #5
Lovebuzz13

Quote:
Originally posted by bootstrap
why was my post edited???

Check your PMs.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:11 PM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

you man you are gonna be accepted here as long as you are keeping it clean. It doesn't matter how big of cats we are we all started from 0 when we came here or any other forum.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:10 PM   #7
bootstrap

i was just playing about the accepted thing, although i'm new to the whole idea of modding cars, so i'm wondering if wanting to mod your car even tho u dont' know the half about it is like white kids liking rap who only listen to nelly and jay-z, know what i'm sayin?
Old 04-21-2002, 11:17 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

yeah i know

Old 04-22-2002, 09:49 AM   #9
Honda_Gurl

i think we all started knowing nothing. i mean, when i started i was like "what's an intake?" seriously...but there are always people willing to teach you if you're willing to learn. i don't think it's fake of you to take it somewhere to get your intake/exhaust put on because it's better than breaking something if you really don't know what you're doing. but if u do take it somewhere, watch, and learn so that next time you can do it yourself. the more you learn about stuff, the less dependent you'll have to be on other people to do your stuff for you. and if you got questions, people here are always willing to help.

and and by the way...welcome
Old 04-22-2002, 12:35 PM   #10
Mushroom

Quote:
: i'm wondering if wanting to mod your car even tho u dont' know the half about it is like white kids liking rap who only listen to nelly and jay-z, know what i'm sayin?

Isn't that the whole point of the weekend enthusiast? Anyway, just lurking for a month or two on the forums taught me a lot (enough to get up the guts to do IHE+susp, at least). If you have the cash, the buy the service manual for your car - understanding how everything fits together seems like a good place to start...
Old 04-22-2002, 12:56 PM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom

Isn't that the whole point of the weekend enthusiast? Anyway, just lurking for a month or two on the forums taught me a lot (enough to get up the guts to do IHE+susp, at least). If you have the cash, the buy the service manual for your car - understanding how everything fits together seems like a good place to start...

when are u gonna do the suspension ? let me know and i might give you a hand

Old 04-22-2002, 06:17 PM   #12
toykilla

Re: I don't know anything about cars, does that make me a bad person??

Quote:
I don't know much, and the little i DO know is from my friends talking about their cars and shit. I dont' know how to install anything, shit i don't even know how to put in oil or washer fluid.. so when i order and intake or exhaust for my car, does that make me some sort of "fake" car person, b/c i can't install it myself or something? PLEASE, I NEED TO FEEL ACCEPTED!

Honestly, if you cant install an intake system. You shouldnt buy it.
Old 04-22-2002, 08:11 PM   #13
4jacks

Re: Re: I don't know anything about cars, does that make me a bad person??

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla

Honestly, if you cant install an intake system. You shouldnt buy it.

So?! if u can't change your oil.... don't change it ???

Happy Honda'ing
Old 04-22-2002, 09:12 PM   #14
toykilla

Re: Re: Re: I don't know anything about cars, does that make me a bad person??

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks

So?! if u can't change your oil.... don't change it ???

NO, if you cant change your oil your an idiot. NOT KNOWING HOW is completely different than NOT WANTING TO. If you dont know how to change your own oil, you shouldnt own a car. Bottom LINE!!!!! When I got my DL I had to do all this shit (change a tire, change oil) this that and the other.
Old 04-22-2002, 10:38 PM   #15
bootstrap

"toykilla" seems to be the answer to my question

i guess tommorow i'll go and trade my car in for a pack of condoms and some stale pretzels
Old 04-23-2002, 12:20 AM   #16
Lovebuzz13

Keep it calm.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:14 AM   #17
toykilla

Im not getting upset in anyway but listen. I asked this guy about a month ago all about his civic. He looked like me like, "am I suppose to know what the mechanic does". It mad me sick to my stomach. I had to tell him how much boost he was getting out of the greddy turbo kit because he didnt know.

Im not flaming for you not knowing about cars but whats the point in moding your ride if you know nothing about it? I think installing my CAI on my first eclipse took me about 5 minutes. Unscrew this, take it off, new one one, screw it in. Im sorry but someone is going to have a hard time convincing me why someone should hook up a car if they cant change the oil.

Look at it this way. Do you wanna pay 100$ go get your ride towed to the mechanic everytime something breaks? If your gonna mod, atleast want to learn. There's nothing more pathetic than talking to someone that has a modded car, that doesnt know a damn thing about cars.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:21 AM   #18
toykilla

Quote:
"toykilla" seems to be the answer to my question

i guess tommorow i'll go and trade my car in for a pack of condoms and some stale pretzels

d00d, dont let me stop you from doing what you want to do. Im pretty sure when I say, "modding cars is more than hobby to me, its a lifestyle" that someone will agree. Why do you want to build something up, that you know nothing about? Would you collect football or baseball cards if you didnt like the game? Would you go hunting if you didnt like guns? Everyone here was at the point your at right now but 99% of the people in this forum want to be apart of their cars creation. Why create something you know nothing about? It just doesnt make sense to me. If your gonna mod, try to learn because I guarantee someone will make you look like the biggest idiot on earth if you have a phat ride but couldnt tell the difference between the brake and clutch pedals.
Old 04-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #19
Honda_Gurl

while i do agree with u, i also think maybe it's a little harsh. i don't believe he ever said that he didn't want to learn. he just said he didn't know anything. are u telling me u always knew how to change your oil? u had to learn it from somewhere, whether it's just by observing someone or reading it or whatever, but u didn't just know how to do it at birth. so i say give this guy a break, and let him learn how to do stuff. i didn't know how to put my intake in when i had my civic, but i bought it anyways. i had to learn one way or another right? well i bought it, and my bf helped me to install it. and i don't think that's weak of me, cause now when i get my intake for my prelude, i'll know how to do it myself. i learned how to do stuff, so can he.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:43 AM   #20
4jacks

Toykilla......

You underrating the hole thing...
Their are a few people who by a car... get it all modded out by professional .. have a really phat and fast ride... but they can only list what they spent money.. and probably can't even tell you what they run a 1/4 mile on....
Ok... so that not the COOLEST thing

but thier are HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS of damn rich snobby people who go out their and buy Benz SLK Kommpressor's and Beems M-roadsters... and Vipers and the list goes on and on and on .... And they drive them under the speed limit to the Grocery Store.. or Soccer Practice, Wash them 2 a year... and have NO CLUE what they are driving ! that ticks me off ...

And I've never changed my Oil..... Jiffy Lube Baby...

Happy Honda'ing
Old 04-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #21
Lovebuzz13

I don't want all of this to turn into a flame war, but I do agree, that if you're going to mod your car, you should know what you're doing.

I know how to change my own oil, I also installed my intake and my exhaust. They are easy bolt ons and something that you should learn how to do if you're modding a car.
Old 04-23-2002, 01:46 PM   #22
ShEaNy

ok i agree with all of u..but what if people if people like bootstrap just doesn't have the time to do it, or honestly just doesn't want to get dirty (lol). Hey i don't like getting oil all over me. If u do go ahead don't shit on the guy cause he takes it to the pros someones gota get the economy started let the pros do it. that way u know its done right (90% of the time). Like for me i accidently found out some things as i went, i didn't try to learn about it. and i didn't do my exhaust. Well mine was more then a few screws!! i don't feel like paying hundreds of dollars for the equipment to do most of the mods(eg-mig welder) . And like i said time is a factor. i say don't worry about it Bootstrap take it to the pros let them do it thats y they have a business... Me personally i know how to change my oil put my intake in...but big deal..i COULD screw up... let the guy do whatever he wants.. wow i sure got lost in this speech....lol
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 01:24 AM   #23
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by 4jacks
Toykilla......

You underrating the hole thing...
Their are a few people who by a car... get it all modded out by professional .. have a really phat and fast ride... but they can only list what they spent money..

A few?? Try going to Fairfax sometime...the people there will make you sick with how little they know about anything.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:30 AM   #24
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Gurl
while i do agree with u, i also think maybe it's a little harsh. i don't believe he ever said that he didn't want to learn. he just said he didn't know anything. are u telling me u always knew how to change your oil? u had to learn it from somewhere, whether it's just by observing someone or reading it or whatever.

Your right, when I was about 8 years old my dad had me out working on cars. I knew how to change oil by 8 years old. "Knew how, you were still a little weak to do it". <-quote from my father. Everything I have bought for any of my cars, I knew how to install it before I ordered it.
Old 04-24-2002, 01:36 AM   #25
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
let the pros do it. that way u know its done right (90% of the time).

Ever heard the saying, "If you want something done right, do it yourself". If your modding and installing stuff on your car, your gonna car more than some random guy in a shop.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:38 AM   #26
Maxvla

even the pro's cut corners. best if you do it yourself. but toykilla... ease up on the caffine. we're not disagreeing with you.

im with 4jacks. jiffy lube.

oh and btw. your Q about why would you mod a car if you know nothing about it? some people just want a fast car... they don't care how it works or what the parts are... as long as its fast it doesn't matter. im not like that but i know people who are.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:04 AM   #27
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Maxvla
even the pro's cut corners. best if you do it yourself. but toykilla... ease up on the caffine. we're not disagreeing with you.

I know, I was just answering specific questions.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:55 PM   #28
ShEaNy

ever heard of the saying " OOOPS I SCREWED UP" ? lol (i just made that up) GO MR LUBE and it looks like no one got raised up like u Toykill! when i was 8 i was out riding my bike or something fun ... not changing the damn oil to our car....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 02:17 PM   #29
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by sheany_91accord
ever heard of the saying " OOOPS I SCREWED UP" ? lol (i just made that up) GO MR LUBE and it looks like no one got raised up like u Toykill! when i was 8 i was out riding my bike or something fun ... not changing the damn oil to our car....

ive never owned a bicycle. when i was 9 I was riding dirt bikes, does that count? and the lessons everyone taught me as a child made me a smarter person that can save money when i get older. hence, i dont have to pay $50 to get an intake installed or $20 for an oil change. or $1000 to have a turbo installed and im not paying a damn cent to rebuild my engine. lets put it this way, ive saved more money on knowing how to do stuff and doing it myself than most people on here have payed just for their aftermarket parts.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:39 PM   #30
Honda_Gurl

just because we all didn't learn everything as early as you did, doesn't mean that we can't learn things now. we're not all saying that we're gonna take our cars to be worked on by someone else, but we all gotta start learning somewhere. i got my oil changed by someone else, big whoop, now i know how to do it for myself. sure, i'm 22 and not 9 like u...but does it really matter when we start learning?? cause u're making us seem like we're bad people because we haven't been all knowing since the age of 9. some of us were busy being kids at that age.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #31
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda_Gurl
just because we all didn't learn everything as early as you did, doesn't mean that we can't learn things now. we're not all saying that we're gonna take our cars to be worked on by someone else, but we all gotta start learning somewhere. i got my oil changed by someone else, big whoop, now i know how to do it for myself. sure, i'm 22 and not 9 like u...but does it really matter when we start learning?? cause u're making us seem like we're bad people because we haven't been all knowing since the age of 9. some of us were busy being kids at that age.

never said anything of the sort....your reading inbetween the lines and you shouldnt be. what I said is what i meant, no hidden meanings...
Old 04-25-2002, 11:57 PM   #32
FeelMyRide

Toykilla..
Can I get some private tutoring?
Old 04-26-2002, 10:18 PM   #33
black95gs-t

dang. y'all are viscious. remind me not to come back to come back to this forum. geeeeez. y'all all need to, "ECHEM. Y'ALL NEED TO TAKE SOME CHILL PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!" j/p but i agree. if you are gonna drive a fast car, learn about it. i go throught the same thing with stereo systems. i can't stand it when people say, "uh it hits man. its loud. can't ya hear it?" and i'm like, " what you got in there?" they are like, "uh i dunno. SUBWOFFERS! thats what i got in there. yeah." if you put something in your car, put it in ther cuz YOU want it in there. not cuz someone else has it and told you you need it too. reaserch it and learn about it and do it yourself.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 12:19 AM   #34
bootstrap

manne, i never said i DIDN'T want to learn...

but i don't see whats wrong with asking somebody what sounds good if you want a system in your car
Old 04-27-2002, 10:07 PM   #35
black95gs-t

i don't have a problem with asking advice. i have a problem if you can't list what is in or on your car. i mean yeah there are exceptions, like if you have so many that you can't remember all of em. but generally everyone knows what they have unless they just give it to a shop and say here is $4000. make it sound good. i don't care what you do. that makes me mad.

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 04-30-2002, 01:36 AM   #36
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by FeelMyRide
Toykilla..
Can I get some private tutoring?

Sure, im pulling my engine in a month so we can learn how to do it together. I have the general idea but havent done it yet.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:39 AM   #37
black95gs-t

hey toykilla, just outta curiosity, how did it happen?
J

Old 05-06-2002, 12:32 AM   #38
toykilla

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
hey toykilla, just outta curiosity, how did it happen?
J

very quickly...