::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Nitrous
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2001, 06:39 PM   #1
spankaveli

question about thread on braided lines

i got my zex kit installed yesterday and i can hear a leak somewhere near the nmu. anyone know the name of that stuff you put on the thread and connect the braided line to? its supposed to seal the connection to make sure you don't have any leaks

thanks guys
spank
Old 09-10-2001, 06:54 PM   #2
Big James

With an AN style line, you are not supposed to use any type thread tape or sealer. However, sometimes they do leak without it. Seeing as this is a nitrous line that goes into either your NMU or out to your nozzle, I would highly recommend NOT using any thread tape. Thread tape can come loos and tear and either clog a nozzle, or damage a solenoid. If youcan not get the leak to stop by simply tightening the fitting (do not overtighten an AN fitting) you can apply a liquid teflon thread sealer. this will be availabe at Home Depot, ACE, or any hardware store, and most automotive stores. Simply ask for a Liquid Teflon Thread Sealer. Make sure you read the directions, and let it dry for a while before you turn on the bottle.

Good Luck. Hope this helped.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:03 PM   #3
spankaveli

yeah i wasn't gonna use the tape, as i was aware of it coming off and clogging lines. thanks for the advice, im gonna go to autozone tomorrow to check for some sealant. thanks again.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:28 PM   #4
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Actually with the AN style fittings if you tighten them too much it will leak. Just the way they were designed(made for the armed forces actually). But like James said, the liquid teflon is the stuff to use.
Old 09-10-2001, 08:58 PM   #5
spankaveli

hey Civic_Addict ur only the 2nd person i know that has a zex purge kit welcome to the club.

btw, thanks for the info. ill see if they're too tight.
Old 09-10-2001, 09:21 PM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by spankaveli
hey Civic_Addict ur only the 2nd person i know that has a zex purge kit welcome to the club.

btw, thanks for the info. ill see if they're too tight.

Yeah the purge kit was hard to find...... Well worth the effort though in my opinion. Can't wait for the remote bottle opener
Old 09-11-2001, 01:56 PM   #7
spankaveli

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Yeah the purge kit was hard to find...... Well worth the effort though in my opinion. Can't wait for the remote bottle opener
i agree, the RBO is the next in my arsenal. my back seat is folded down now so when i leave my house i can just turn it on. id definitely prefer a switch to open & close the bottle.

btw, i got that leak fixed. i guess one of the an fittings wasn't tight enough. its all good now.
Old 09-16-2001, 01:46 PM   #8
VN-Tec

Teflon Tape.. U need lots.. I have a Used Nitrous kit for sale.. Has remote bottle opener (brand new) With the bottle.. Lines.. 65 Shot jetting.. Setup for wet system.. With New Purge kit also.. Price is 300 YOU Pay shipping..
Old 09-16-2001, 09:36 PM   #9
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by VN-Tec
Teflon Tape.. U need lots..

No. Not a good idea. The Teflon compund is what you want. The tape tends to leave fragments which can clog you nitrous lines.