::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > High Performance > Turbo
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
IALuder

boost controller

ok i was wondering if i should use a manual boost controller like the TurboXS or a electronic like Greddy PRofec Type S?

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
thermal
Banning Machine

It doesnt matter bro. Function wise is the same. It's just whatever else you want to come with its ability to control to boost. I have both the GReddy Profec-B spec1 and spec2. Spec1 ownz spec2 by far. The spec2 has some pretty display but it really sux trying to get it to adjust right. So I sold that shit and kept my spec1.

I also had the TurboXS manual boost controller. It worked great but it only has one setting.

There are benefits to EBC's, just depends on what brand. I prefer GReddy Profec-B spec1 (1st gen):

1) Depending on what kind, you can have a minimum of 2 setting- Hi or Lo. You can have the low setting for street and daily driving and Hi setting for track/race use.

2) Gain adjustment is another great thing. You'll be able to adjust boost "on the go".

3) Balance adjustment is another feature which pretty much allows the user to adjust the sensitivity of boost reaction. You can make boost either slowly build up or slam on certain RPM range.

4) Others can display boost reading digitally like the GReddy Spec2 and AVC-R.

I've seen a lot of people use the TurboXS dual solenoid system. This is a manual boost controller with remote switch that allows the user to select whether to be in LO or HI setting. Simple to use and very effective.

Just remember that either type of boost controller will only raise boost from its original spring tension. If the spring tension (on external WG) or diaphragm actuator (on internal wastegate) is set at 8 psi, any type of boost controller will only raise that up. It will never control or lower boost below the spring or diaphragm set point.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #3
GT40FIED
Best...mod...ever

I've never owned a boost controller, but I've seen them and played with them on other cars. My friend had an electronic one on his SVO, but I can't remember what brand. I like the idea of in-car real time control (this is why my DFI system doesn't need a laptop for programming), so I'd go with an electronic one if I ever did get one.
1984 1/2 Mustang GT350 #842, Faster than you...nuff said

Anna Fan Club President/Dictator

Someday, in the event that mankind actually figures out what it is that this world actually revoles around, thousands of people are going to be shocked and perplexed that it was not them. Sometimes this includes me.

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

Welcome to the new Amerika
GT40FIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:23 AM   #4
Sivik

i vote EBC all the way, and yea the Spec 2 does suck ass... mine will randomly reset on its own, a friend of mine had the same problem. i'd go with the new Type S one thats basically the Spec 1 updated.

My Car

My Car is for sale
Sivik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #5
sohc_vtec 2NR

i personally am happy with my b spec II! yea i agree that getting use to it will require some time and patience, but done right... its very effective and its got nice features. but greddy's new profec type S looks very promising...

ease of a MBC but with the reliability and response of an EBC..

so how deep does your wallet go in terms of controlling your boost?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
thermal
Banning Machine

The original (1st gen Profec-B) look about the same as the Profec-S except shinier knobs on the S. I think the S also uses an updated and smaller solenoid. I like APEXi AVC-R also.

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote