::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2002, 10:26 PM   #1
CyberCivic97

Condensation ! Yuck !

Well, just when I thought my stock headlight project was looking really cool... BOOM, two days later I have condensation inside one of the lenses! Basically what I wanted to do was take out the lame looking orange reflectors and paint the trim. Everything turned out great, I even sealed the lights back together with liquid nails sealer. Two days later... I have this nasty film on the inside of the lens! Yuck! What can I do to get rid of it and make sure it never comes back? I know it is supposed to be free of leaks but get this... there are two "L" shaped tubes that come out of the light (where the headlight bulbs go in). These were the stock Honda headlights so I know there is a purpose for them. I thought maybe it helped reduce condensation, but now I am not sure! Sheeeeeesh, this sucks! I was so happy when I got it all done and then things went downhill fast! Any help in this is greatly appreciated! I know some of you out there have probably had this problem or maybe not... I really am in a bind! Sadly, Cyber...
Old 02-08-2002, 07:32 AM   #2
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Is it actually condensation? What kind of paint did you use? It could be a chemical reaction of sorts. Do you have a pics? Normally you would use a silicone base sealant to seal the housings. It tends to be much more weather resistant.

If its condesation you can try using a hair dryer to evaporate it. Check your seal around the outer edge.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:39 AM   #3
CyberCivic97

Yes, I am positive that it is condensation because it goes away (a little) when I turn the lights on (the heat from the light evaporates it...) I don't think it would be the paint because the drivers side light is fine... no film.

The label for Liquid Nails said "great for sealing plastics and keeping water out" so I figured it would work...

Thanks for your help!

Cyber
Old 02-08-2002, 10:09 AM   #4
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberCivic97
Yes, I am positive that it is condensation because it goes away (a little) when I turn the lights on (the heat from the light evaporates it...) I don't think it would be the paint because the drivers side light is fine... no film.

The label for Liquid Nails said "great for sealing plastics and keeping water out" so I figured it would work...

its hard to reseal the headlight w/o getting condensation the first time. very hard. if i were you id just reseal it. the tubes on the headlight have nothing to do with your problem - they help the heat have somewhere to go....imagine if your headlights were on for hours at a time, and the heat had nowhere to go.....and those headlights get damn hot
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:03 AM   #5
CyberCivic97

Okay, here is one for ya... I just heard that if I drill two small holes in the back (where the bulb goes in) that it might prevent condensation from getting in... this sounds like complete bulljunk because moisture ALWAYS finds a way in... any thoughts? Cyber
Old 02-10-2002, 12:09 AM   #6
SlikVic

I agree just drill a couple of holes, it sounds like the globe may be letting of too much heat?
Old 02-10-2002, 12:42 AM   #7
CyberCivic97

I am surprised that there aren't more ideas floating around here... I know that a lot of you here have modified your lights somehow... maybe I should have left them alone ? LOL... oh well, too late now I suppose. Will just have to keep resealing until the moisture stops. Cyber
Old 02-10-2002, 08:34 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberCivic97
I am surprised that there aren't more ideas floating around here... I know that a lot of you here have modified your lights somehow... maybe I should have left them alone ? LOL... oh well, too late now I suppose. Will just have to keep resealing until the moisture stops. Cyber

I'd buy my lights that way. Saves the hassle. I've tried taking them apart before. Not a fun task.