Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Interior Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
ben_wynne

Removing factory steering wheels...

Hey guys,
I just bought a momo steering wheel for my 97 Accord. I read throught the steering wheel removal instructions but have a problem. My car comes equipped with cruise control and the switch is attached to the steering wheel. My question is, how do I remove the cruise control switch to get to the Torx screw underneath so I may remove the driver side airbag module?

-BenJamin
Old 12-08-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
blind34_1

umm..never done this before, but make sure you know what you are doing before messing with the airbag. If that explodes in your face while your messing with it, you'll have other things to worry about than putting some crazy steering wheel on.

id recomend letting a honda pro take the airbag stuff out.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:30 AM   #3
darkdaedra

Airbag can't blow if you disconnect the battery first. So take the wires off your battery, black then red. You'll be safe although you still may mess up your SRS system, not that you were planning on using it anyways from the sound of it...

BTW - Disconnecting the battery is a good idea before doing anything on a car, especially if it has an airbag. It's just safer...
Old 12-19-2002, 01:16 PM   #4
Sol's Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by blind34_1

id recomend letting a honda pro take the airbag stuff out.

Honda pros will NOT under any circumstances remove the airbag. Nor will any auto shop, for that matter. I bought my sol totaled, and the airbags were deployed. I tried to have it worked on, and no one would do it because the airbags were deployed. Removing the airbags is a big deal, and about the only way you can do it is to find someone to do it for you custom (i.e. not a body shop). I knew of a guy with a del sol who removed the steering wheel with the airbag in it and put on a Momo wheel. I will see if I can find pics. It shouldn't be that different from your Accord.
Old 01-15-2003, 12:04 PM   #5
iLovEmYDub

dont do it if you ever crash it your insurance will not cover you it wil be a big mess with them thats my .02 good luck