Go Back   HSTuners > The Lounge Area > Shifting Gears - Off Topic Discussions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2002, 01:51 AM   #41
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by VieT916
Do you even have the slightest ****ing clue what you're talking about? A turbo with a header and intake? Okay. . . . The intake part is semi-legit (although you probably don't know why), and all turbo guys know why the header part isn't.

And you consider tuning an intake, full exhaust, and other bolt-on parts? You need to do some research and get a clue.

i heard some people talking about turbo headers....how far off am i? Gawd, ya don't gotta be so mean about it...Way to win friends and influence people!!! *thumbs up*
Old 10-27-2002, 01:52 AM   #42
slowEJ6

Quote:
Originally posted by 4thGenlude
slowej6... 2jz-gte is a inline 6, and its a toss up between that and the rb26dett for the "god" of 6's

i know that, but i threw it up there as that for arguments sake.yes rb26dett is swell, but i dont see many skylines on the road - so i left it out of the equation.
the WRX...eh...wait till the STi model comes out, im not a fan of such weak transmissions.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:15 AM   #43
drdingo21

Quote:
Originally posted by OPAKRACING
i heard some people talking about turbo headers....how far off am i? Gawd, ya don't gotta be so mean about it...Way to win friends and influence people!!! *thumbs up*
you can't have them both because the turbo replaces the header. If i were you i would look into a supra (although the 93 with 100000 miles on it is still 30k) they are twin turbo stock and fast. but you not gonna live under your mommy and daddy for ever so you have to think about insurance...especially since yor not even 18 yet.
drdingo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 07:54 AM   #44
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

Not to mention my stock Si could take out 325's all day. Now if its bored to 3.0L, I'll probably have a bit of trouble keeping up.

why do you say that?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:09 AM   #45
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Get the 1.8T

They have just a little bit less power then a VR6 but they are a lot cheaper to make fast since they are already Turbocharged.

A stock 1.8T is good for 390hp on stock internals while your "Fast" VR6 isnt. Take my word for on this one. I have several friends that are into VWs and while the VR6 is a little faster stock with mods the 1.8T will kill one unless you spend a ton of money on the VR6.

I say it again..

Get the 1.8T

Old 10-27-2002, 11:43 AM   #46
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
why do you say that?

Because you mentioned the 325i in a previous post. They aren't that quick. Maybe your friends 3.0L version. Not to mention they are kinda heavy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Get the 1.8T
Get the 1.8T

Ditto!
Like I said in the first post. 1.8T!
Old 10-27-2002, 12:35 PM   #47
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

even the 3.0's arnt that fast. they are quick, but not something to brag about

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #48
slowEJ6

insurance on a turbocharged car for someone younger than 18 isnt cheap.....are your parents paying for that too?
Old 10-27-2002, 04:02 PM   #49
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by slow ej6
insurance on a turbocharged car for someone younger than 18 isnt cheap.....are your parents paying for that too?
The way it sounds, he won't pay for anything.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:21 PM   #50
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I havent read the entire thread.. But I'd go with a new 1.8t.

Dude, you sound new to VWs, before buying, you really should research the matter.. Even though you're not paying for it.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 04:22 PM   #51
VieT916

Quote:

Don't have to be mean? Have you even read any of my other posts? i'm far from mean. I just don't like kids spewing out a bunch of ish when they have no clue about what they talk about ... like you. and you think I'm trying to use an Internet message board to "win friends?" think again. And I do influence people. I'm on more boards than this one, guy. nice try, anyway. "*thubs up*" for your effort.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #52
OPAKRACING

Quote:
Originally posted by VieT916
Don't have to be mean? Have you even read any of my other posts? i'm far from mean. I just don't like kids spewing out a bunch of ish when they have no clue about what they talk about ... like you. and you think I'm trying to use an Internet message board to "win friends?" think again. And I do influence people. I'm on more boards than this one, guy. nice try, anyway. "*thubs up*" for your effort.

the way you worded your post was in an attacking manner....you coulda started off teaching me about turbos, and how they act as teh header...like drdingo21. instead you told me i knew Sh** about it.

I think i'm gunna go with the RSX type S....turboed, or even twined it sounds hella fast with some other mods on it.

to do a twin turbo on a car, does it require a special kit? or can i just go buy 2 turbos? and is it any different to take car of? and do i have to get two: turbo timers, and boost controllers, or can i hook both up to one...i have no idea, lol

thnx for the info guys.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #53
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
the way you worded your post was in an attacking manner....you coulda started off teaching me about turbos, and how they act as teh header...like drdingo21. instead you told me i knew Sh** about it.

I think i'm gunna go with the RSX type S....turboed, or even twined it sounds hella fast with some other mods on it.

to do a twin turbo on a car, does it require a special kit? or can i just go buy 2 turbos? and is it any different to take car of? and do i have to get two: turbo timers, and boost controllers, or can i hook both up to one...i have no idea, lol

thnx for the info guys.

twin isnt always better. i'd read on turbo eficenecy before this turns bad. you CAN twin a rsx if you had enough money, no one makes a kit, because it is a COMPLETE waste of money. you will get less power, more lag, more problems

Old 10-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #54
OPAKRACING

ok, so a single turbo is usually better? and the reason i'm saying kit, is because someone told me that if you put on together yourself, you can run into problems with legality, is this correct?
Old 10-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #55
slowEJ6

read....about....TURBOS. www.google.com
search, read, learn.
if you arent going to do that and just ask for opinions on this site, your RSX is going to see more garage time than street time.

twin turbo RSX
Old 10-27-2002, 04:40 PM   #56
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
ok, so a single turbo is usually better? and the reason i'm saying kit, is because someone told me that if you put on together yourself, you can run into problems with legality, is this correct?

well, i dont nkow of any carb legal kits, living in cali, i see a rsx turbo being a HUGE problem for on-road use. how long do you have before your 18? if its a while, learn ALOT beofre you make a decission. theres much you dont know. www.howstuffworks.com has ALOT of information on everything from turbo's to LSD's to rotory engines, and even how regular engines work. read eveything on that site... and you will learn alot

Old 10-27-2002, 07:28 PM   #57
VieT916

Quote:

thnx for the info guys.

That's true; I was attacking you. I'm glad you caught that.

But don't you already know everything about turbos? I mean, you saw a twin-turboed VR6 that was fast, and you said you would rather twin-turbo a VR6 than build up a 1.8T.

You want to know why it'd be impractical to twin turbo a RSX? read up on how turbos work, and this will make more sense. . . .

A turbo is based off the exhaust manifold. A twin-turbo setup generally used on V-banks has a turbo established for a certain number of banks. One for each 3 cylinders on V6s, etc. Twin turbo an I4, and you'll have two banks powering a turbo. Riiiiiight. I hope two cylinders can provide enough exhaust gas velocity to get the turbines spinning. Oh, but they can! Provided you run small enough turbos. And at this point, you'll be making as much power as one turbo could with less custom fabrication and cost.

but that passed over you, I'm sure.

I seriously suggest you stop asking about twin turboing this and that. At least go read up on this before plunging into it. I can see it now in a few months, "Hey, guys, I just got a twin turbo Prelude, but I blew the motor at 30 psi. what happened? what else can I twin turbo?"
Old 10-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #58
ShEaNy

hes right....i wouldnt jump right into turboing a car..y not get a nice car..integra or something anything the 1.8T!! and just go form there....not turbo the shit outa it right off the hop...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #59
toykilla

Quote:
Get the 1.8T

They have just a little bit less power then a VR6 but they are a lot cheaper to make fast since they are already Turbocharged.

A stock 1.8T is good for 390hp on stock internals while your "Fast" VR6 isnt. Take my word for on this one. I have several friends that are into VWs and while the VR6 is a little faster stock with mods the 1.8T will kill one unless you spend a ton of money on the VR6.

I say it again..

Get the 1.8T

Untrue...VR6 with a turbo kit could run less half the amount of boost and DESTROY a 1.8lt (even one running more boost than stock). I think a turbo'd VR6 would be kick ass. Twin turbo'd one is a bit over-doing it. Turbo a VR6 and kick ass man.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:59 PM   #60
OPAKRACING

yea i agree...but now i have a problem:

1. Get the VR6 and put a turbo on it, and tune it well, and be unique cause no one fixes up VW's, lol

2. get the RSX, turbo that, and tune that well...

which would u do? and why?

also, the reason i wanna get the rubo before i do anything else to the car, is because (i know some peeps are gunna get mad at me for this, but...) don'tcha have to buy a certain kind of intake or certain type of exhaust system if you have a turbo? (i'm going now to read up, lol)

or is it, as long as i don't but headers on it, i'm fine with the turbo?
Old 10-27-2002, 09:14 PM   #61
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:

1. Get the VR6 and put a turbo on it, and tune it well, and be unique cause no one fixes up VW's, lol

also, the reason i wanna get the rubo before i do anything else to the car, is because (i know some peeps are gunna get mad at me for this, but...) don'tcha have to buy a certain kind of intake or certain type of exhaust system if you have a turbo? (i'm going now to read up, lol)

dude there are probably more tuned VWs than Hondas..

Between your choices, I'd go for a vr6, seems kinda obvious to me. RSX really doesnt have much going for it.

VR6t, would be nice, but is a very expensive setup. One guy I know is @ 465hp at the wheels.
But he owns a shop, and did all the work himself.

But like I said before the tuned 1.8t, is a much more cost efficient choice.

My futur car options :
- Maxima 6 speed
- TL-S (soon with 6 speed)
- WRX

Old 10-27-2002, 09:16 PM   #62
OPAKRACING

sry, i mean RSX type s....does that change your answer?

and where i live, theres NO tuned VW's...AT ALL. lol

and i want a fast car...i'm not looking for instant gradification...i'm willing to wait to get it too, so i think the VR6 is a good choice for me.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:32 PM   #63
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
sry, i mean RSX type s....does that change your answer?

and where i live, theres NO tuned VW's...AT ALL. lol

and i want a fast car...i'm not looking for instant gradification...i'm willing to wait to get it too, so i think the VR6 is a good choice for me.

ya your area is heavy on Mistu and Honda.. Every Christmas, I come to SF.. Actually Santa Rosa / Napa area..

I figured you meant the Type S. Same answer.

Again, the VR6 is a much better choice, but dont forget the 1.8t
they run pretty much identical 1/4s.
and the 1.8t could be boosted for less.

oh and you proabably havent heard about the 337. check it out.

Old 10-27-2002, 09:57 PM   #64
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

OPAK

Here's the deal.

1. Figure out what car you want
2. Figure out what options/parts that car has available
3. Determine your budget
4. Lay out the plans in detail (and stick to them!)

If you aren't paying for the mods, then get whatever you want and forward the bills to the parents. Otherwise, make sure you get something you can afford to mod. An example... If you are paying for mods, DO NOT get a Supra. Heh.

Anyhow, good luck with your car.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:23 AM   #65
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by toykilla
Untrue...VR6 with a turbo kit could run less half the amount of boost and DESTROY a 1.8lt (even one running more boost than stock). I think a turbo'd VR6 would be kick ass. Twin turbo'd one is a bit over-doing it. Turbo a VR6 and kick ass man.

How much money would it cost to upgrade a 1.8T compared to putting a turbo on a VR6. The turbo kits for a VR6 arent cheap!

Im not saying that you cant make a VR6 faster then a 1.8T because I know better then that. Im saying its cheaper to make more power.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:48 AM   #66
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
How much money would it cost to upgrade a 1.8T compared to putting a turbo on a VR6. The turbo kits for a VR6 arent cheap!

Im not saying that you cant make a VR6 faster then a 1.8T because I know better then that. Im saying its cheaper to make more power.

I agree. The APR chip for a 1.8T is $400. You could chip the 1.8T get a better exhaust for way less than the VR6 turbo. With te extra money you could get better suspension components, traction control, etc.

http://www.matrixengineering.cc/prod...6turbokits.php $3500 isn't real cheap. Heh
Old 10-28-2002, 09:30 AM   #67
mt.biker

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
I agree. The APR chip for a 1.8T is $400. You could chip the 1.8T get a better exhaust for way less than the VR6 turbo. With te extra money you could get better suspension components, traction control, etc.

http://www.matrixengineering.cc/prod...6turbokits.php $3500 isn't real cheap. Heh

simply stated though the vr6 has more potenial out of the box
Old 10-28-2002, 10:35 AM   #68
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

Quote:
Originally posted by mt.biker
simply stated though the vr6 has more potenial out of the box

actualy, i'd say the 1.8t has more potential out of the box, and in the long run(read: lots of money) the vr6 would be a better choice.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:24 PM   #69
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

2003 Jetta GLS 1.8T
Horsepower: 180 hp
Max Horsepower: 5500 rpm
Torque: 173 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 1950 rpm
Weight: 3037 lbs.
MSRP: $21,015

2003 Jetta GLI VR6
Horsepower: 200 hp
Max Horsepower: 6200 rpm
Torque: 195 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3200 rpm
Weight: 3179 lbs.
MSRP: $23,525

You could spend $2000 on the 1.8T and still be under the stock VR6 price. $2000 on a 1.8T will go a long way.

It all depends on your budget. If you (or your parents) have a bottomless wallet, then the VR6 isn't a bad choice.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:10 PM   #70
toykilla

Quote:

Umm, I think the RSX (any type) sucks ass. I hate the fact that Honda took away the Type-R (my favorite Honda). The intake system will come in the kit you buy, you can put any exhaust on the car you want. Headers are replaced with turbo manifold.

I know what these guys are talking about with the 1.8T crap, I went through the same thing wanting a non turbo eclipse over a turbo'd one. My friend has put the same amount of money into his GST as I have in my GS. He runs 18psi and I run 10psi (for now). I BEAT him every time, so in my case it hasnt actually been cheaper to get an already turbo'd vechile. Just would have been a bit easier. TURBO THE VR6 AND **** IT UP!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2002, 07:46 PM   #71
OPAKRACING

No, my parents aren't paying for the mods.

and i'm kinda in it to wait, ya know, i'd rather have a fast car, that would take some more time to fix up(VR6), than a car that wouldn't (1.8t). I have my whole life, lol. so, i think i'm going with the VR6.

I'm gunna turbo it first (that includes turbo timer, boost controler, and better intercooler), then i'm doing suspension and intake, then stablizers, sways, then exhaust, then pullys, furl regulator, and some other small things.

THNX for thge help guys, i couldn't have done it without ya :P

(I am gunna sell my car, so i'll have money to buy the turbo kit and stuff.)
Old 10-28-2002, 08:45 PM   #72
OPAKRACING

for all those peeps who thought it couldn't be dun...

http://www.dub-nation.com/show/hpamotorsports/
Old 10-28-2002, 09:01 PM   #73
slowEJ6

Quote:
I'm gunna turbo it first (that includes turbo timer, boost controler, and better intercooler), then i'm doing suspension and intake, then stablizers, sways, then exhaust, then pullys, furl regulator, and some other small things.

so youre going to put a turbo on it and run with no filter because you have to wait?
you are going to run a restrictive stock exhaust with a turbo?
you are going to add the turbo and not do any fuel mods?

i see....
Old 10-28-2002, 09:53 PM   #74
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
No, my parents aren't paying for the mods.

and i'm kinda in it to wait, ya know, i'd rather have a fast car, that would take some more time to fix up(VR6), than a car that wouldn't (1.8t). I have my whole life, lol. so, i think i'm going with the VR6.

THNX for thge help guys, i couldn't have done it without ya :P

(I am gunna sell my car, so i'll have money to buy the turbo kit and stuff.)

Well good luck in whatever you choose. And its not that the twin turbo couldn't be done.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:02 PM   #75
slowEJ6

yeah good luck man....i want pics of the brok....i mean, modded VR6
Old 10-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #76
OPAKRACING

slow ej6, why don't you post a link to the site, where you get all this fricken info about what you have to do, when you put a turbo on your car? i mean, i went to google, and i didn't find a site that talks about the OTHER things you needa do to your car when you put a turbo on it.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:21 PM   #77
slowEJ6

research my friend, you dont get everything you need from one single site. different cars need different mods, not to mention tuning.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:46 PM   #78
OPAKRACING

what kind of exhaust and fuel mods would you recommend?
Old 10-28-2002, 11:48 PM   #79
ShEaNy

look into the turbo section to read about this...im sure they can help u there better...also read old posts....
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote