::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Step By Step
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2002, 08:50 PM   #1
blind34_1

1990CivicSi - nice place for 6x9's

Me and my friend had a great idea one day for rear audio in my 1990 Honda Civic Si Hatch. The little plastic indentations that come stock on the car are not big enough for anything. So that poses a problem for 6x9's. Here is the answer:

The back rack/shelf thingy (i dont know what it is called) is made of cuttable material. I would suggest using a jigsaw to cut into it, but any method works. Just make sure that you don't cut a hole too large or you are SCREWED.

What you'll be doing is making a clearance hole for the magnet of your speaker. You'll just set the speaker down in there, secure it with a few wood screws or whatever (you'll need a drill).

If you want to be real fancy you can cover the sides from view using wood blocks or plastic. We got good results with painted wood. Then just make a trip to Radio Snack and pick up some cheap 6x9 covers. We also invested in a pair of panyhose to cover the 6x9 with to protect it from any debri that may get in there.

Make sure you cut just enough clearance out of the shelf so that your wires to your speakers still fit. Also, postion the speakers as far to the sides as possible, because if they are in the middle it will bow the shelf. As it is, you may need additional support if a squaking starts happening.

Last edited by blind34_1 : 06-28-2006 at 08:41 PM.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
AkimboStylee

i did the same thing in my civic, look at the pics taht i just posted, and you will see!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:28 AM   #3
blind34_1

holy crap, this post is super old!

yeah, there really isn't any better options for a fourth gen. I actually ended up buying a couple of those $13 boxes at walmart and screwing them down onto the rear deck. Unfortunatly this also made them convenient to carry, because they had handles. Off those went after yet another broken window.

..sigh... I've given up on audio, too easy to steal.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
AkimboStylee

just make it look stock. i also attached the cargo cover to the car and put a lock on it, and bolted it to the bck seats, so the only to get in thier is with a key or a cutting torch!