.:HSTuners::

::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > My Car is Broken!
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2003, 11:17 PM   #1
General Chang

My check engine light is on...problem=TDC sensor!????

I'm reading through my haynes and it says the top dead center(TDC) sensor determines the ignition timing at startup when the engine is cranking. Now, I remember the check engine light came on while I was busy driving and not at startup. The ECM uses the TDC data and the CYL sensor data to determine the duration during which fuel is injected. Is this a major problem...is it easy to fix myself?? How much are they?? Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

did u pull the codes yourself ? i think the 96 accord is an obd2 and you need a special scanner to pull the codes out. i don't know how much the tdc sensor will run you

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:34 AM   #3
General Chang

I used a paper clip in the diagnostic terminal under the passenger side glovebox/dash area like the haynes manual told me so......when i set the ignition on, the check engine light blinked 8 times so thats what i used to look it up on the chart in the haynes. Can a TDC sensor malfunction or get messed up if I have a little too much oil in the car? I have done some further reading on replacing the TDC sensor if it is just bad and the work needed to replace it is crazy....5 times more complicated than changing a timing belt IMO. What if i just keep driving with it? what problems can I expect. Sorry for all the question but seems like something screws up on this car every month.
Old 01-21-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
tooslow91crx

what is your engine code? it's on the left side of the block, right under the radiator hose. go to autozone and have them do the free diagnostic scan on your car. that will tell you if the tdc sensor set the code. then get back on here, and let us know what you find out. i'm more familiar with civics than accords. running too much oil probably won't cause a sensor to fail, but it' not good for your engine. too much is worse than too little.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:01 AM   #5
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it should be a f22b1 for dx/lx or f22b2 for ex

Old 02-12-2003, 02:54 PM   #6
KTMboy

my Integra did that first the tach wouldn't work the check engine light on then the car wouldn't run right problem Distibutor ouch $187 everything works now tho
Old 02-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by General Chang
I used a paper clip in the diagnostic terminal under the passenger side glovebox/dash area like the haynes manual told me so......when i set the ignition on, the check engine light blinked 8 times so thats what i used to look it up on the chart in the haynes. Can a TDC sensor malfunction or get messed up if I have a little too much oil in the car? I have done some further reading on replacing the TDC sensor if it is just bad and the work needed to replace it is crazy....5 times more complicated than changing a timing belt IMO. What if i just keep driving with it? what problems can I expect. Sorry for all the question but seems like something screws up on this car every month.

doesn't the 96 and newer require a obd2 scan too to pull out the codes ? that was mandatory on all cars.

Old 02-12-2003, 03:11 PM   #8
General Chang

Well, autozone scanner told me that their was a vacuum leak. But the folks at skilllube scanned it and told me my injectors/fuel rail were clogged. So I bought 4 bottles of lucas injector cleaner, added it to the intake, smoked out the neighborhood, took the fuse out to reset the computer and for a day the light didn't come on but now its back. I guess i gotta manually clean it out. Has anybody ever inspected their injectors/fuel rail??? I got a pretty decent set of tools.....i think i can do it....just wondering if anybody could give me any helpful hints.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

just to tale the guess work out of it why don't you take it to honda ???? scan the codes and go form there

Old 02-12-2003, 03:19 PM   #10
General Chang

skilllube told me the scanner they use is just as good and i paid them 40 bones already so i guess i'll go by what they said....this happened to me before....about a year and half ago. they manually had to drill out the carbon. i guess liquid shit ain't going to flog it out. have to get dirty i guess....u know anybody who has done this?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
General Chang

awesome.....someone on hondasociety has just posted the whole procedure with pictures.......guess i'll do that this weekend