::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2001, 10:20 PM   #1
HondaBrain

Spark Plugs!

I am needing to replace my spark plugs and was wondering if anyone had any particular suggestions. My engine is completely stock with an AEM cold air intake. Engine model is B16 a2.
Old 08-29-2001, 02:28 PM   #2
GloblCtzn

Stay with the stock plugs, you can pick them up at the dealer, or most auto parts stores. There are alot of plugs that are more expensive than the stock NGKs, but trust me they will be no better.
Old 08-29-2001, 10:18 PM   #3
thermal
Banning Machine

stay with stock for now. u should have NGK's as stock anyway. it will not make a difference on performance until the WHOLE ignition system is actually upgraded.......even changing the spark plug wires will not give u any noticable difference. trust me, i changed my spark plug and cable (nology hotwires, freakin' $130) and did not feel any difference in performance....

Project Teg

Visit the Turbo Forum
thermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2001, 11:13 PM   #4
abswainer

ditto on the NGKs there the best
Old 08-30-2001, 06:52 PM   #5
sleeper4

i dunno about no benefits from the wires and stuff. when my ngk wires were stolen o switch to magnecor and the motor was running better and the car felt a lil more responsive. but thats maybe just me. peace
Old 09-03-2001, 11:04 AM   #6
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Yep. The stock plugs are the best. NGK V-Powers. Don't waste the money on the expensive "platinum" plugs.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:44 PM   #7
BiancaCivic21

youre not really gonna notice a difference with new spark plugs unless the ones you have now are all corroded. NGK makes some of the better spark plugs, but like I said, dont expect a world of change.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:09 PM   #8
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

Unless your going FI, I would just stick with the stock plugs. They are relatively cheap and work just as well on a stock engine.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 06:17 PM   #9
VN-Tec

Hey i switched to NGK 7's Back when i was all motor and i can honestly tell u that it gave me so much more noticeable Torque! No kidding.... They are cheap too..

Stock Plugs are NGK 6's I Believe
Old 09-09-2001, 09:04 PM   #10
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I agree, just keep the stock NGK plugs (or atleast mine were) Nopi has them or many other places for that matter..
Old 09-09-2001, 09:29 PM   #11
turbod97ex

Quote:
Originally posted by VN-Tec
Hey i switched to NGK 7's Back when i was all motor and i can honestly tell u that it gave me so much more noticeable Torque! No kidding.... They are cheap too..
Stock Plugs are NGK 6's I Believe
I went with the NGKZFR7F's too before I went turbo. These are colder than the stock NGKZFR5F and the plugs fouled in a couple of months. Unless you are squeezing nos or going turbo I would stick with the 5's. Now I run the 7's since I installed my turbo and they are great.
Old 09-12-2001, 12:58 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
Yep. The stock plugs are the best. NGK V-Powers. Don't waste the money on the expensive "platinum" plugs.

Well the platinums are only a couple of bucks more and they last longer.. so why not.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 04:20 PM   #13
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

So long as you don't use them with any forced induction or nitrous.

A couple bucks more.....You could buy your next set and in a sense have the same longetivity......
Old 09-13-2001, 03:25 AM   #14
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
Well the platinums are only a couple of bucks more and they last longer.. so why not.
Civic_Addict is right. Platinums suck! Suck power that is...

Gap erosion [and consequent performance degradation] is what kills spark plugs. Larger gaps and higher voltages accelerate this wear, hence the material evolution to platinum [and other precious metals] which are actually worse conductors, but more durable to slow this wear. The one exception to this is Iridium. Denso Iridium Power plugs are 16 bones each. NGK Iridium and Iridium IX plugs cost about the same.

If you're interested in buying the ultimate spark plugs for your sh!t box, visit these sites:Having said that, the best price/performance value in spark plugs are copper-core spark plugs, and NGK V-Power plugs are one of the best, if not the best.
That's what I use. Just be sure to change them about every 20K for best performance.
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise
in the second order coefficient.
BlackDeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 10:58 AM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe
Civic_Addict is right. Platinums suck! Suck power that is...

Gap erosion [and consequent performance degradation] is what kills spark plugs. Larger gaps and higher voltages accelerate this wear, hence the material evolution to platinum [and other precious metals] which are actually worse conductors, but more durable to slow this wear. The one exception to this is Iridium. Denso Iridium Power plugs are 16 bones each. NGK Iridium and Iridium IX plugs cost about the same.

If you're interested in buying the ultimate spark plugs for your sh!t box, visit these sites:Having said that, the best price/performance value in spark plugs are copper-core spark plugs, and NGK V-Power plugs are one of the best, if not the best.
That's what I use. Just be sure to change them about every 20K for best performance.

Are you sure about the conductivity of platinum? Obviously i couldnt test this on my own.. But sometime last fall, I'm pretty sure that I read in a magazine (Sport Compact i think??) that the plats were up there regarding conductivity/efficiency. The materials considered were all materials that could potentially suite the purpose.

But i maybe wrong..

As for Irridium, head of class, enough said!

Last edited by Accord Man : 09-13-2001 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:16 PM   #16
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

SORRY!!! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH...

Quote:
Are you sure about the conductivity of platinum? Obviously i couldnt test this on my own.. But sometime last fall, I'm pretty sure that I read in a magazine (Sport Compact i think??) that the plats were up there regarding conductivity/efficiency. The materials considered were all materials that could potentially suite the purpose.
Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one...

As you probably know, a number of conductive materials may be used in spark plugs. Silver is the best electrical conductor used in spark plugs, followed by Copper and Platinum [the jury is still out on Iridiums]. While this suggests that the durability and quality of the plugs follows in this order, the melting points of the metals are Platinum at 1773C/3223F, Copper at 1083C/1981F, and Silver at 960C/1760F.

The high melting point of Platinum electrodes allow them to be designed thinner, with a smaller surface area than that of the other materials. The electrical ineffiency of Platinum requires more arc-over voltage thereby increasinging the incidence of misfire. Furthermore, Platinum electrodes operate at a higher temperature. While this burns off carbon or hydrocarbon contamination common in carbureted vintage cars, it can cause detonation in newer lean-burning fuel-effecient cars.

The bottom line is: the good thing about Platinum plugs is they usually last much longer than its Copper or Silver counterparts. However, make no mistake about it --- copper is the best value in spark plugs. You just have to change them more often.

If you drive a rich-running, oil-burning sh!tbox, Platinum is the fix. If Granda wants to put plugs in his Buick that will last longer than he will, Platinum is the answer. For everyone else, go the Copper-core route...
DISCLAIMER The existence of BDC is disputable. The existence of views, in the absence
of anyone to hold them is problematic. The existence of the reader is left as an exercise

Last edited by BlackDeuceCoupe : 09-13-2001 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:43 PM   #17
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Re: SORRY!!! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH...

Quote:
Opinions are like A-holes, everyone has one...

As you probably know, a number of conductive materials may be used in spark plugs. Silver is the best electrical conductor used in spark plugs, followed by Copper and Platinum [the jury is still out on Iridiums]. While this suggests that the durability and quality of the plugs follows in this order, the melting points of the metals are Platinum at 1773C/3223F, Copper at 1083C/1981F, and Silver at 960C/1760F.

The high melting point of Platinum electrodes allow them to be designed thinner, with a smaller surface area than that of the other materials. The electrical ineffiency of Platinum requires more arc-over voltage thereby increasinging the incidence of misfire. Furthermore, Platinum electrodes operate at a higher temperature. While this burns off carbon or hydrocarbon contamination common in carbureted vintage cars, it can cause detonation in newer lean-burning fuel-effecient cars.

The bottom line is: the good thing about Platinum plugs is they usually last much longer than its Copper or Silver counterparts. However, make no mistake about it --- copper is the best value in spark plugs. You just have to change them more often.

If you drive a rich-running, oil-burning sh!tbox, Platinum is the fix. If Granda wants to put plugs in his Buick that will last longer than he will, Platinum is the answer. For everyone else, go the Copper-core route...

You seem to be well informed on the matter,

& that was very well explained!

Old 09-13-2001, 09:28 PM   #18
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Re: Re: SORRY!!! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH...

Quote:

You seem to be well informed on the matter,

& that was very well explained!

There's not a whole lot that he can't go on about. My mission is to find something that he can't answer...........

So I gues like I said, copper stock plugs....
Old 09-13-2001, 09:53 PM   #19
BlackDeuceCoupe
The Great Ape

I'm a garrulous fellow, aren't I???
Old 09-14-2001, 06:11 AM   #20
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
I'm a garrulous fellow, aren't I???

Yes in fact you are quite garrulous.....
Old 09-14-2001, 07:06 AM   #21
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Re: Re: Re: SORRY!!! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH...

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict

There's not a whole lot that he can't go on about. My mission is to find something that he can't answer...........

If you can do it youll be the man..

BDC: I'm a garrulous fellow, aren't I???

That was nice of you to leave a link.. *L*
Old 09-14-2001, 10:23 AM   #22
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Re: Re: Re: Re: SORRY!!! THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A FREE LUNCH...

Quote:
Originally posted by Racing Rice

If you can do it youll be the man..

BDC: I'm a garrulous fellow, aren't I???

That was nice of you to leave a link.. *L*

very helpful..

Old 11-24-2001, 03:29 AM   #23
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

NGK's are a great replacement for your plugs.

The denso Iridium plugs or iridium plugs at all for that matter or more if you would be running NOS,2 of the big bottles,LOL

unless you have a turbo r something of that nature you will be set w/ NGK Plugs...

Also put on a set of wires..Accel are good or Nology if you have the $...

hope this might assist a little..
Old 11-25-2001, 11:28 AM   #24
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by Whtehnda93DXSdn
NGK's are a great replacement for your plugs.

The denso Iridium plugs or iridium plugs at all for that matter or more if you would be running NOS,2 of the big bottles,LOL

unless you have a turbo r something of that nature you will be set w/ NGK Plugs...

Also put on a set of wires..Accel are good or Nology if you have the $...

hope this might assist a little..

Actually if you're running nitrous, just get the NGK plugs that are colder (1 or 2 steps depending on shot level). You don't want platinums and the iridiums will be a waste. I believe the same would hold true on turbo and SC apps.