Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2001, 12:39 PM   #1
xbird

Which alarm do you recommend??

HELLO EVERYBODY !!
I am gettng all the greddy turbo parts in these 2 weeks, and I am going to install the turbo myself !!
Anyways, I want to get an alarm for my car!
My town isn't a big town.. but ppl just keep saying ppl likes to steal cars with good mods.. but i am afraid...
i don't want to spend too much money on the alarm..
Is there any good alarm that you guys recommend?? how much are they??
If I have a turbo in my car, is that ok to have a starter with my turboed car??

Thanks
Old 10-17-2001, 01:28 PM   #2
BrandonClaps

do you have a manual tranny? I doubt many people will install an alarm if you have a stick. I'd say for a good price and quality. DEI is pretty good. I like there viper line. If you wanna spend more clifford is good. It depends on the options. I myself have a compustar (www.compustar.org) because it has a paging remote. Depends on whatcha wanna do and who ever is gonna install it.

-Brandon
Old 10-17-2001, 01:36 PM   #3
xbird

Manual

my car is a manual... why don't ppl have an alarm with stick tranny??
Old 10-17-2001, 07:40 PM   #4
BrandonClaps

people don't have starters with manual trannys...
Old 10-17-2001, 07:48 PM   #5
xbird

I had two cars before that were manual tranny, but they both had starters..
Old 10-18-2001, 01:27 PM   #6
BrandonClaps

hmm, wow i'm suprised. usually they won't do it for liability issues. like if u leave it in gear and stuff. and even with these manual tranny safe starters, they still won't do it. cool that u had it done. whered u have it done?
-Brandon
Old 10-18-2001, 02:13 PM   #7
xbird

I got it done in some alarm stores. he said there is another kind of starter that is suitable for manual, he said if it's in a gear, it won't start..
but the one that i put on doesn't have that function, i like the look of the remote, but he said he wouldn't give me any receipts or anything to prove he put it on for me.. then i said ok.. who cares..
Old 10-18-2001, 04:43 PM   #8
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
hmm, wow i'm suprised. usually they won't do it for liability issues. like if u leave it in gear and stuff. and even with these manual tranny safe starters, they still won't do it. cool that u had it done. whered u have it done?
-Brandon

Are you serious??

Is your car manual?

Mine is, & I still got the works done to it!!
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:45 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Brandon : Actually its very safe..

When I have a few minutes I'll explain the whole thing, & you'll see.

Unless you already know how it works, but then you wouldnt be saying that its unsafe.

Old 10-19-2001, 02:16 AM   #10
BrandonClaps

yea i know how it works, i got it on mine ;x but usually people won't install em for liability concerns. i installed mine too. the starters don't know weather or not the car is in gear or not, yet it does know weather or not the ebrake is up. the car stays on when u exit the vehicle and as soon as u shut the door it arms ;D if the door is opened it won't work. i believe they all work like that.... i never said it was unsafe persay, just people like best buy won't do it cause of liability...
Old 10-19-2001, 11:31 AM   #11
xbird

hey, it is not the door... it depends where you put the safety button on.... my was on pressed by the hood, if the hood is open, it won't work...
as soon as you have ur car put in netual gear, nothing happens...
but be careful of ur friends or mechanic... i recommend u turn it off whenver you are not driving it..

my brother in Hong Kong just crashed his Civic
coz he didn't know my father drove in at night, and my dad left it in 1st gear, then my brother started it before he goes to his car, it hits the wall ... lol.... then it cost him around 1000 CAD to fix it
Old 10-19-2001, 01:45 PM   #12
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by BrandonClaps
yea i know how it works, i got it on mine ;x but usually people won't install em for liability concerns. i installed mine too. the starters don't know weather or not the car is in gear or not, yet it does know weather or not the ebrake is up. the car stays on when u exit the vehicle and as soon as u shut the door it arms ;D if the door is opened it won't work. i believe they all work like that.... i never said it was unsafe persay, just people like best buy won't do it cause of liability...

ok I understand what you were trying to say.

Ya I also believe that most of em work like that. The only slight variation, is that most peeps need to press on the *arm* button to stop the car, it doesnt arm and stop automatically like in your case. Its also possible to stop the car without arming the alarm, but again once the door(or hood or trunk) is opened the deal is off.

But if you think about it, the only way for the car to be put in gear, while its off and in starter ready-mode, is if you have left your windows down & somebody creeps into your car and puts it in gear.

Old 10-19-2001, 01:59 PM   #13
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by xbird
hey, it is not the door... it depends where you put the safety button on.... my was on pressed by the hood, if the hood is open, it won't work...
as soon as you have ur car put in netual gear, nothing happens...
but be careful of ur friends or mechanic... i recommend u turn it off whenver you are not driving it..

my brother in Hong Kong just crashed his Civic
coz he didn't know my father drove in at night, and my dad left it in 1st gear, then my brother started it before he goes to his car, it hits the wall ... lol.... then it cost him around 1000 CAD to fix it

umm, what safety button are you talking about?

The one that removes the starter ready-mode ??
If so, its not a safety button. Its with the pin that is pushed when the you close the door. and so on..

Your brother probably had a starter that wasnt designed for 5 speed cars.. Hope nobody was hurt??

Old 10-23-2001, 08:17 PM   #14
BiancaCivic21

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man

umm, what safety button are you talking about?

The one that removes the starter ready-mode ??
If so, its not a safety button. Its with the pin that is pushed when the you close the door. and so on..

yea youre right...what hes talkin about is the hood pin. supposed to be included when you get you remote start added to prevent accidents when people are working on the car etc.

but you CAN get a remote start installed on a stick as long as it is designed to work safely with one. All of clifford g4 remote starts and the compustart alarms will work. Chances are, youre not gonna find a shop that will install a regular remote start on your 5 speed. I have a remote start on my 5 speed...its nice to have, but kinda a hassle. You gotta push a certain button on the remote once you park, your cars in neutral, ya got your e brake up, then you can take you keys out ~engine stays running~ once you arm the car the engine shuts off. NOW once you arm the car, if you disarm it, if it goes off, if a door, hood anything gets opened, you will not be able to remote start it.

You said you wanted a relatively cheap alarm. I dont think you will find a 5 speed remote start under $300.
About how much do you wanna spend?
Old 11-01-2001, 08:50 PM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Ditto

It's very safe. I got one and theres no danger..

But like she said, finding a place to install it is gonna be a b!tch. Actually you need to make sure the place where you're having it installed know what they are doing. Cause if the install isnt properly done, it'll be a lot of shit for nothing.

Old 11-01-2001, 09:01 PM   #16
xbird

does anybody have any instructions teaching u how to install an alarm?? or a starter??
Old 11-01-2001, 11:54 PM   #17
BrandonClaps

xbird, InstallerInstitute.com

good school. daytona beach or CA i believe. I went to daytona beach. Best month of school and fun i ever had! My teacher Aaron something can't remember his last name, built the boston beetle, and a few other demo vehicles. he's pretty cool. i was there during bike week and spring break so i had ton of fun!
Old 11-02-2001, 12:10 AM   #18
xbird

i live in canada, and i wont have money for classes :(
any webites teaching u how to install alarm??
Old 11-02-2001, 11:39 AM   #19
BrandonClaps

it's not hard to install an alarm, the main thing u need is a digital multi meter, and the right tools. Use T-Taps and Male Insulated Quick Disconnects and butt connectors for the connections. Hard thing is is finding T-Taps. There is a school in canada too. Mobile Dynamics it's called. Not sure where in canada. If you look in this forum, i posted wire colors for civics. If you need another car wiring colors, email me.