Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2003, 03:25 PM   #1
seanjuan

stock muffler from a different car?

Here is what I'm thinking....
I have a B16a2 swap on the way and need to get a new exhaust system because my current one has rusted in half. My thought was to have a custom center pipe made at an exhaust shop and buy a stock muffler that would go on some other type of car and have it hooked up to the custom center pipe.

I want a deeper sound than a stock civic exhaust but I have yet to hear an aftermarket exhaust that suits me. I used to have the Thermal stealth exhaust and it was too loud for my tastes plus I want a completely stock tailpipe apearance not some 6" can hanging off the back... just personal preference.

What if I got a muffler off of like an Audi TT (the 180 hp version) or a VW VR6. I love the sound of both of those cars. I know that one is a turbo and that one is a 6cyl but that would also mean that they have better flow than a civic exhaust as well.

has anyone ever heard of this being done? what are your thoughts on it? Where would be a good place to have the cutom work done, other than Midas, Meinike, etc.?

thanks
Sean
Old 06-19-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Whtehnda93DXSdn
It has 4 Doors...

well if you are having someone custom do the exhaust work from the mid section on back to teh muffler you very well could use and have then weld in place whatever muffler that you choose...but keep in mind that just cause you get a muffler that's on an Audi etc doesn't mean it will sound the same.

Engines and how there set up intakes and headers can factor in to how that will sound as well..

Hope this might help...
Old 06-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #3
seanjuan

yeah, I know I won't get the same sound. But I'm guessing it will still have a deeper sound than a stock civic muffler without being as lound as an aftermarket exhaust.
that is what I'm going for, not trying to copy the sound of any certain car just trying to lean toward it.

thanks
Old 06-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #4
nonovurbizniz

get a flowmaster... they're DIRT cheap and most custom exhaust shops can get them even cheaper....

they are known for a low tone and if it's too loud you can just have them through on a resonator.

*edit* also they come w/o a tip so you can either weld on something simple or leave it as a straight piece of 2.5" piping.*/edit*
Old 06-19-2003, 09:53 PM   #5
seanjuan

I might end up going that route, but i'm still entertaining the thought of getting a stock exhaust from a higher powered car. What about a prelude or an integra muffler at least those were designed for non turbo 4cyl's.
anyway, I guess I'll see when I get to a muffler shop and get some prices.
anybody know of a good non-chain store to get the exhaust work done?

thanks
Sean
Old 06-20-2003, 09:41 AM   #6
Mushroom

Stock exhausts, expecially for high-end cars, tend to be really expensive.

A flowmaster will be pretty loud, and a resonator will do more to change the note than actually make it softer (observed by trying different mufflers and resonators at the shop).

Ask around locally for good shops; they're all over the place, but unlikely that I know any in Minneapolis. Any good place will do a lot of custom jobs and should be able to pick a non-stock muffler that'll fit and give you flow more like a higher-performance car.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #7
seanjuan

yeah, you are probably right on that one. I guess right now I'm just entertaining different ideas as far as exhaust goes. This isn't one of those threads where I have allready made up my mind and i'm just looking for the approval of others. I just want input and opinions on what people think of this idea.

thanks
Sean