::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
SilverCoupe2K1

Resonator on the 6th Gen

Currently, I have a free flowing exhaust. It was a custom job that took two days and has the dual exhaust set up...not just a "fake exhaust" on the end. It's great cuz I love the way it looks, on the downside, it's extremely loud. I recently added a CAI, and can't even hear it cuz the exhaust is so loud. The car has been soundproofed and it's still so loud that you can't carry a conversation. On top of that, a friend of mine recently got ticketed for "Illegal Modifications" because his exhaust was too loud. My exhaust is much louder than his, so it's likely just a matter of time before I have similar problems. I'm now thinking about putting in a resonator and wanted some input. Are there various ones available? Different sizes? Can I choose to put in a smaller one, and keep some of the power/noise? Is there a make I should be looking for?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
1SweetV6

You said you had "the dual exhaust set up". So I take it you have a V6 ? If it is a "true" duel exhaust it comes from the cat with 2 pipes all the way back. It's not just a Y split like a normal duel exhaust is. Is this correct ???
No about the resonator. I the problem with adding one is the fact that now if you add one to make it quieter you loose HP. The resonator is added to a stock exhaust to make it quieter, it also restricts the exhaust flow. That's why it's so loud now. So you going to waste your $$$ on that nice exhaust system if you add a resonator. One thing you can try is putting a "silencer" in the tip of the muffler. It will make it quieter, you will loses a bit of HP, not as much as adding a resonator, but it will be much cheaper to do. It is basically a piece that go's into the tip of the muffler that let's less exhaust out. That's the only thing I can recommend you doing.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
SilverCoupe2K1

I guess, to be honest, it's not possible to put a true dual exhaust on the 4 Cylinder. I wanted the manual, so i got the 4, but I love the dual exhaust look. What I meant was, some ppl just put on a fake exhaust, that's there for show, where as my exhaust was made custom from the cat-back. At some point, it's still being split in a Y though. The reason I was thinking resonator is cuz it's really TOO loud. With the CAI now, I'm starting to get headaches! I can't even hear my radio sometimes!
Old 06-18-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverCoupe2K1
I guess, to be honest, it's not possible to put a true dual exhaust on the 4 Cylinder. I wanted the manual, so i got the 4, but I love the dual exhaust look. What I meant was, some ppl just put on a fake exhaust, that's there for show, where as my exhaust was made custom from the cat-back. At some point, it's still being split in a Y though. The reason I was thinking resonator is cuz it's really TOO loud. With the CAI now, I'm starting to get headaches! I can't even hear my radio sometimes!

what brand mufflers did you put on?

cause it really shouldnt be loud.. If the mufflers are the soft sounding type, then you'Re install might not have properly been done.. I'm thinking a leak somwhere along the ling.. at a soldering point..
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 04:35 PM   #5
SilverCoupe2K1

they're nakayama mufflers...i got it done at Federal Mufflers...as far as I know, they're the only ones that have the machinery to bend the pipes to do that...
Old 06-18-2002, 05:00 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

umm, the Nakayamas I've heard are pretty loud.. But with so little pressure.. I dunno, this seems a little strange..

Old 06-19-2002, 10:21 PM   #7
SilverCoupe2K1

I dunno...all I kno is it's loud...I'll have the piping checked for any holes next week...

If I did get a resonator, would it eliminate all the added power, or would it depend on the size of the resonator?
Old 06-19-2002, 11:28 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

it will depend on the size of the resonator

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 05:28 PM   #9
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

you have added power?!

Old 06-20-2002, 09:23 PM   #10
SilverCoupe2K1

Yah Santa...high rpm oomph. What size resonator should I put in to mute some sound, but still keep a lil power?
Old 06-20-2002, 11:29 PM   #11
Wren57

I wouldnt wanna run duals on an I4 just due to the added rear-end weight and the loss of backpressure... you are losing torque, and your NA engine isnt producing enough gains to make up for this lost torque at high end... I would just put a single 3" Greddy or HKS system to the back... and since it is a "Y" Pipe and not true dual, it adds little to no performance gains and lots more weight... just my thoughts...
Old 06-21-2002, 06:16 AM   #12
1SweetV6

There's not really to much added weight with duel's. Maybe 50LBS something like that. But you could always "Dyno Matt" the inside of the car. The place that I go to they sell it 50 buck's a roll. You will need 3 roll's to do both door, and 4 to do the floor. They usually charge about 50 a roll to put in. So it's up to you what you wont to do, maybe a different muffler might help.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:42 PM   #13
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

I think you meant dynamat??

Anyways, I really dont think its a resonator prob..

Just for fun, can you describe the sound that its producing?

Old 06-21-2002, 10:45 PM   #14
SilverCoupe2K1

Well, it's basically just loud. It's a low sound though, much deeper than an intake...like a grumble. and...it seems like it's gotten worse since I dropped it...any ideas?
Old 06-22-2002, 11:47 AM   #15
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ok here's the thing. If its low pitched, then a resonator might not muffle the sound as much as you think..

A resonator basically reduces the *noise*.. By noise, I mean the sound your car would make without the rear and mid sections of your exhaust. You know like what some old ugly cars with Maxwell coffee cans for mufflers and holes all trhoughout the exhaust line.

-still thinking about this one-

Old 06-23-2002, 11:27 AM   #16
johnriley
2nd Gear

Get a louder stereo that is what I did and now I can't even hear my exhaust!
johnriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 05:14 PM   #17
SilverCoupe2K1

Actually...I thought about that!

I don't really wanna be competing with my exhaust though...
Basically, I'd just wanna add a sub for a little bass, nuthin major cuz I like the head unit that comes stock.