::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Body Modifications
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2003, 07:01 AM   #1
02CiviC

advice on 2 two body kits

i was reading alot of the stuff in here, cuz im saving up for a body kit and wanted to find out as much as possible. ive learned quality is important and you get what you pay for. Ive shopped around and iv only seen a couple body kits that i might decide 2 get. one is the ninja and the other is the bomex. Seeing as the bomex is a little eh... pricy
i was leaning towards the ninja, i believe its made of urethane. my question was if anybody had any experience with the ninja body kit? cuz it would be a pain if it didnt fit right. OR should i just wait a lil longer and use my tax return and just get the bomex?
Old 01-14-2003, 09:07 AM   #2
Sol's Eye

Two things to remember when buying a body kit:

1. You get what you pay for. The kits that fit better and are higher quality are going to be more expensive. If you go out and buy a cheap kit, odds are it will take a lot of work to make it fit right, and will probably not hold up long.

2. Urethane is the shit. Urethane is a lot more flexible than fiberglass, so it won't crack or break. Or at least it is much harder to make it crack or break. If you nail a curb at 70, you will still probably break your bumper.

If the Ninja is urethane, that is a plus in that direction. But you may want to find out how well both kits fit. Find some people who have those kits, and see how well they fit. Also, you may want to find out what the Bomex kit is made of. If it is also urethane, it may be pricier because it fits better. I dished out the extra money for my Wings West kit because it was urethane and had one of the best fits for my car. I would advise finding a happy medium between the two, if you can.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

Bomex fits perfect every time, therefore your labor will be cheaper, they also come prepped... they are made of hand laid fiberglass, not spray on, so its pretty much as strong as urethane, but weighs less..

ninja... wtf is that? :P

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:
Anonymous: Yea but a car has 4 heads, so it's headers!

Me: Or.. you could say that a car has one head...
TonitrusEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 12:56 PM   #4
02CiviC

lol...heres a link where the ninja kit is
http://thecivicstore.com/Merchant2/m...ory_Code=NINJA

the bomex

http://www.bomexaero.com/images1/civ01/civ01frt2.jpg

by the way thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
ChrisCantSkate
Thought Police

the ninja is almost deffinitalt fiber glass. you cant really mold urathane like that

Many dreams come true, and some have silver linings.
I live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold.
ChrisCantSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
02CiviC

hmm...starting to lean towards the bomex. guess ill just have to save up some more. the more i look at the bomex the more i like it over the ninja anyways
thanks for the help guys
Old 01-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #7
Sol's Eye

Quote:
Originally posted by 02CiviC
hmm...starting to lean towards the bomex. guess ill just have to save up some more. the more i look at the bomex the more i like it over the ninja anyways
thanks for the help guys

That's just what I was going to suggest. I think the Bomex looks a lot better. And it will probably fit better, too.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:45 PM   #8
slowEJ6

cant go wrong with a bomex kit. fit and quality are exquisite - as long as its the real thing.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
foreverzz

Quote:
Originally posted by TonitrusEN
Bomex fits perfect every time, therefore your labor will be cheaper, they also come prepped... they are made of hand laid fiberglass, not spray on, so its pretty much as strong as urethane, but weighs less..

ninja... wtf is that? :P

there's no way that hand laid fiberglass is pretty much as strong as urethane.
you need to get your facts right.

but i would suggest the bomex too
Old 01-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

urethane isnt all that great, ive been told that bomex is just as strong as any urethane kit from the largest racing shop in washington, he told me that itll last longer, and be stronger than more expensive kits...urethane is over rated

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:

Old 01-15-2003, 02:18 PM   #11
foreverzz

Quote:
Originally posted by TonitrusEN
urethane isnt all that great, ive been told that bomex is just as strong as any urethane kit from the largest racing shop in washington, he told me that itll last longer, and be stronger than more expensive kits...urethane is over rated

fiberglass will not flex like urethane will. there's a reason most car companies use urethane for their stock bumpers.
fiberglass isn't bad, just as long as you take care of it and are careful with it.

if you hit a curb in a parking lot with a fiberglass front bumper, chances are it will crack...but hit it with a urethane bumper and itll probably just scratch some paint.

however, fiberglass is cheap to repair and the initial cost of it is cheaper as well.
but urethane is definetly not over rated and there is no way a fiberglass kit will be stronger than a urethane kit.
its the nature and the properties of the materials used.

i don't know who you spoke too...but just because they are largest doesnt mean the are the most knowledgeable obviously.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:23 PM   #12
SofaKingSmooth

just remember that fiberglass does not take a beating very well
Old 01-15-2003, 02:26 PM   #13
TonitrusEN
4th Gear

you shouldnt be hitting curbs with your car anyway :P

My Baby

Unbelievable...

Quote:

Old 01-15-2003, 02:40 PM   #14
2000Pimpinex
Super Moderator

If you go with a high quality kit, you'll be fine. The whole "you get what you pay for" is usually true. Good luck!
1985 Ford Bronco XLT 5.8 351W
w/ 33X12.5X15
2000Pimpinex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:13 PM   #15
JamieS697

how much is the bomex?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:52 PM   #16
02CiviC

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieS697
how much is the bomex?

ive only found one place so far, but i havent really looked. actually 2 be honest i havent looked at all 4 a better price.
but the place i originally saw the picture has the bomex front end for $450 and the side skirts for $410.
supposedly it will be made available
march '03.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:26 PM   #17
JamieS697

too much plus i was looking at the avenger kit which looks almost the same still trying to find a good price for that
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #18
foreverzz

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieS697
too much plus i was looking at the avenger kit which looks almost the same still trying to find a good price for that

the avenger kit does look pretty good on the new gen. civics.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:06 PM   #19
armyguy5
3rd Gear

not to be a dick or anything but do u have rims and tires? if not why not save up for those first before buying the body kit....i just bought mine but it wont go on until i get my rims and tires (stock firestones suck ass in rain). so theres an idea for you Rota slipstreams or battles look great

chris
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #20
JamieS697

Idk if ur talking to me or 02 civic but i agree it looks cruddy without rims but one thing at a time. Im probably gettin the kit b4 rims just for the fact i can put the kit on without worry about winter damage. or as much shall i say. Im planning on chrome rims so salt will eat them!!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:26 PM   #21
armyguy5
3rd Gear

heehe i was talkin to o2 civic... gunmetal battles for me
  • Cold Air Intake, Front Strut Bar, MTX Thunder 6000 10", Gunmetal Altezza Tail Lights, Short Throw Shifter, Factory Side Skirts and Rear lip, JDM front Lip, Thermal R&D stealth exhaust, 16" Rota Slipstreams in Bronze, Alpine CD/MP3/WMA/XM RADIO, Legacy L7M in car video
armyguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 10:30 AM   #22
JamieS697

he also lives in fla which means no snow so i would go rims first jmo....
Old 01-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #23
02CiviC

i have 17" gun metal wheels, there on the car
Old 01-23-2003, 06:57 PM   #24
ifeldwn02
3rd Gear

i'd have to say go with bomex just because of quality and the fact it will bolt up alot better compared to others
ifeldwn02 is offline   Reply With Quote