Excellent info. 0 0%
Good info. 0 0%
So full of **** 0 0%
#'s 1,2, but it is a shameless plug, 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2004, 06:13 AM   #1
AkimboStylee

Square, Triangle, or Round?

I've had people ask me why im such a diehard Kicker fan. The answer is that they are wrong, I'm a diehard Solo-Baric fan, the reason being that I live for bass.
__________________________________________________ __ People tell me that their pair of $700 subs are the best on the market, then they tell me that they dont know any specs about them except thier size and max power: HAH MY 2 12" (INSERT BRAND HERE) 1200 WATT SUBS ARE LOUD!! Then I ask them what size amp are they using they say 1200 watt amp for both, wtf. A week later after I don't hear any bass, they usually say that they blew them.
__________________________________________________ __ If you must know, the amount of power that you want to run sub(s) @ is thier rms power. so you find an amp that has that amount rated at the right amount of power but what is with ohms? well you want to find an amp to match ohms, power and what not.
__________________________________________________ __ Now for main question: Is there really a difference in the shape of a speaker, other than the triangle subs look preatty cool?
Sure if you want to go with a cool sub enclosure, you can go with cool looking subwoofers, but that is not the answer. But what is the answer?

Well the answer is geometry.

:circle:
area equals pi times the radius^2
a=3.14x6^2

:square:
area=side^2
a=12^2

:triangle:
area equals one-half of the base times the height
a=(1/2)12x(height, too tired to figure it out)

(based on a 12" subwoofer)

So what does the all have to do with speakers? Well an object with more suface area has more resistance, therefor triangle<circle<sqaure. ( those who are confused; a triangle has less suface are thatn a circle; circle has less than that of a square).
So over all, you may pay a little more for a StillWater Designs: Kicker Solo-baric, you will not regret the money spent because of the superb quality of clean sounding bass.