::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2003, 09:55 PM   #1
trabadoor22

can an intake cause a loss in power?

i just installed an injen short ram intake in my '03 si and it seems it has lost a tiny bit of pep. i love the sound of it, but im just wondering what is going on here. do i need to reset my ecu or something? any info or help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:33 PM   #2
Mischief(LTS)

generally you need to get all the settings re calibrated after you add an intake to get the most out of it
Old 05-03-2003, 10:42 PM   #3
Wabster

Mischief, since we both have an 02 civic , i'm wondering what you've done to your car and if you like your mods.

I just installed an intake, how do you re-calibrate the ECU.. i thought it did it itself
Old 05-04-2003, 04:04 AM   #4
HndaTch627

yes it's possible, especially on a poorly designed intake with lots of bends and turbulence in the tract. the Si's biggest draw back is that PUNY exhaust they chose for it.

jeremy
Old 05-04-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

try resetting the ecu (unhook the battery for a minute)
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:22 PM   #6
Wasim521

I am stating this from my Maxima experience, but yeah, unhooking your battery would reset your ECU (and all the other stuff in the car ) but I think it takes more than a minute - try a few hours. It would then "learn" the way the new intake works and adjust itself accordingly.

Also, I had an Injen Cold air intake in my Maxima but I just took it out for pretty much the same reason. It wasn't a true CAI where I had to cut a hole in the fender or anything, but it was one with piping that made the filter sit right above the splash guard and below the radiator. It gave me a lot of low end power, but after about 3500 RPMs or so it was like sucking air through a bent straw and it just killed my higher end power. Guess you can't win them all.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:27 PM   #7
silver

you can lose power on an intake but the design has to suck, the injen design doesn't suck so that isn't a problem. you can lose power at some parts of the power band while gaining in other parts, you haven't lost any power if you installed it correctly. as for the ecu, you don't need to reset it, the ecu will make the adjustments itself, that if what all the airflow meters are for. don't worry about it.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:11 PM   #8
ShEaNy

u could lose power especially on a Short Ram....its basically sucking in hot engine bay air..and if the design sucks....the CAI (AEM)...u shouldnt lose to much...if any...the By pass valve will make u lose a few not much though...
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #9
trabadoor22

ok thanks. i guess ill just try to reset the ecu, it cant hurt to try. im not sure whats going on, i was reading in a magazine where they tested a bunch of intakes, injen being one of them on an acura rsx which i believe has pretty much the same engine as my car. out of all the short rams they tested the injen did the best with something like 9hp gain and around 5 foot pounds of torque. that seems on the high side, but i didnt think i would loose power. who know's maybe when i get an exhaust things will get straitened out.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:17 PM   #10
20civic01

with a cheapo air intake and 2.25" pipe and a wralock muffler, I only dynoed 113rwhp and 107ft/lbs of torque...in a 2001 civic ex. I'm assuming that's what you have, but anyway, that's not much over stock. you won't notice a ton of power gain.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #11
silver

Quote:
Originally posted by trabadoor22
ok thanks. i guess ill just try to reset the ecu, it cant hurt to try. im not sure whats going on, i was reading in a magazine where they tested a bunch of intakes, injen being one of them on an acura rsx which i believe has pretty much the same engine as my car. out of all the short rams they tested the injen did the best with something like 9hp gain and around 5 foot pounds of torque. that seems on the high side, but i didnt think i would loose power. who know's maybe when i get an exhaust things will get straitened out.

they dynoed the type-s, you have the normal rsx motor. a short ram will give more top end compared to a cai which will give more low end.
Top Secret, Ings+1, J's Racing, Varis, Amuse, ASM, GP Sports, Air Walker, Garage Defend, Kakimoto, BuddyClub, Feel's, Fujitsubo, Porterfield, KG/MM, ORC, Spoon, Mugen, and more than 200 others. If it's in a Hyper Rev, it's in our reach.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #12
trabadoor22

ya sorry about that, that was the article i was talking about. speaking of low end, is there anything i can do within a reasenable price range, say less than $500, that will give me some added torque?
Old 05-04-2003, 11:45 PM   #13
silver

pully kits, if you had a little more money maybe think about some new cams. take a look at the different header designs that are out as well, you could find a header that will deliver some nice low to mid power. cheapest mod for low end...take out the spare tire and anything else you don't need.

Old 05-05-2003, 12:08 AM   #14
trabadoor22

cool thanks. i was thinking about getting a pulley kit. i think im going to get dc sports headers and a high flow cat in a couple months, not sure if that would give me any added low end though.