::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Accord
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2003, 12:03 AM   #1
accord98lx

maintanence required

You guys kno when you start your car up..the stuff in your gauge panel lights up like the check engine, maintence, oil and all that stuff? its suppose to go away for like 3 seconds after u start the car but my maintenance require light stays on and starts blinking but disappears after 10 second.

does that mean something is wrong is does that mean it just goes on every certain miles on the odometer? do I need to take it in or something?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:13 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

that will stay on after a while, because the car has to have certain stuff done to it. and yeah it's linked to the odometer. look into your user's manual to see what kind of maintenance is needed for your car. also that light can be turned off by someswitch in your glove box.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
spoogenet

Once it starts flashing that means you're either at or near the service interval (7500 miles for the '01), it flashes for 10 seconds for a fixed number of miles then stays on solid after that. The older Hondas had the little green/yellow/red light, this is just a different version of the same thing.

I haven't heard of the switch in the glovebox. However there is a simple method to reset it. I don't remember all the details, but it's something like hold down the trip reset button and put the key in the ignition and set it to run, keep holding for 2 seconds then release. If you want to reset it I can get you the specific instructions out of the Helm's manual.

The Owner's Manual of your car will explain the different mileage limits for the blinking vs. solid.

b
Old 05-27-2003, 02:19 PM   #4
pbateson

I had a check engine light on my car???
Old 05-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
DumbMoFo

Quote:
Originally posted by pbateson

Completely different situation.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:36 AM   #6
spoogenet

Quote:
Originally posted by pbateson

We're talking about the "Maintenance Required" light, which on your car would be a little square that goes from green to yellow to red (At least I think yellow is in there....), I believe it's on the Tach.

b
Old 05-28-2003, 10:05 AM   #7
HndaTch627

hold the trip/reset button down, turn the key on, wait for the light to go off, count to 5, let go of the trip/reset button and shut the car off. it's it's a 98 it may take a couple tries otherwise the light should then be off.

jeremy
Old 05-28-2003, 01:54 PM   #8
accord98lx

so the maintenance required light isnt anything serious except to tell me to change the oil, and other maintenance stuff at the certain mileage point......not like theres something wrong with the engine and sensor and stuff like that right?? thanks for the help..i cant seem to find my owners manual yet...still gotta look for it.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:49 AM   #9
spoogenet

Yeah, it's purely a mileage-based system. Your engine could blow up and the light would only come on if you had the right number of miles since the last time it was reset.

You can download a PDF file of the owner's manual from Owner's Link on Honda's web page.

b