::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #1
toddabod

1996 Honda Civic EX

I have a problem with my Civic EX. It doesn't idle very well. When I come to a stop sign, the RPM's drop and the engine shuts ff. It starts right back up again, but it is annoying. I am going to change the PCV valve tonight, hoping it will fix the idle problem. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 01:52 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

could be many things..

maybe a faulty plug, wire..

or the ECU is getting a bogus reading from one of the sensors.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:16 PM   #3
toddabod

The plug wires aren't that old, maybe 6 months and I am running Bosch 4 plugs that are the same age. I wanted to try the PCV valve before I took it into the dealership and have them stick it on the machine.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:23 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ok you may find this strange but its true.. I know at least a half dozen people who have had major issues with those damn plugs. They arent made for japanese cars, especially not Hondas.

the first thing you should do is put some NGK or Denso plugs in there.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:27 PM   #5
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

When I switched from Bosch to Densos, my idle did smooth out. I didn't like the Bosch plat +4 plugs in my Accord.

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:33 PM   #6
toddabod

it's not that it idles rough, it just doesn't idle. I need to buy another civic manual tonight. How hard is it to change out the sensors?
Old 08-22-2002, 02:38 PM   #7
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Quote:
Originally posted by toddabod
it's not that it idles rough, it just doesn't idle. I need to buy another civic manual tonight. How hard is it to change out the sensors?

Depends which sensor it is. Is your CEL on?
Old 08-22-2002, 02:45 PM   #8
toddabod

I have no clue what the CEL is. Sorry for being such a rookie.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:51 PM   #9
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

Thats ok.. Its the Check Engine Light.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
toddabod

no, usually that is an emissions problem, not? I wonder if the O2 sensor is bad. It also has been burning oil and i read an article that said something about changing the PCV valve to fix that as well. I just don't want to take it to a dealership and get ripped off. This car has 111k and still runs very well. It needs to last 3.5 more years, but I don't think it will be a problem.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:10 PM   #11
Racing Rice
Project Combat Honda

I guess Id change the PCV valve first and see what happens.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:54 PM   #12
slowEJ6

check the connections on the battery terminal....make sure they are on snug.
slowEJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 09:17 PM   #13
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord Man
ok you may find this strange but its true.. I know at least a half dozen people who have had major issues with those damn plugs. They arent made for japanese cars, especially not Hondas.

the first thing you should do is put some NGK or Denso plugs in there.

amen to that. i had those in my old subaru and the damn thing would hesiate on the whole rpm range. i never tried bosch on honda cause i know they suck. and for the engine dieing at idle it could be everything that was said before, or a stuck open EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:41 AM   #14
toddabod

Not to sound like a total idiot, but where in the hell is the PCV valve. I bought a book and they gave a crappy picture of several loations where it could be. I hate how they hide parts. In Ford's, it is easy to replace, but I can't find this one. If anyone can point me to the right location, I would appreciate it.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:53 AM   #15
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

there should be between the valve cover and the air intake. usually it comes out of the valve cover.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:33 PM   #16
Onyx
1st Gear

if you have replaced your intake you may not have a pcv. also I had the same problem. I toke it to the dealer and the adjusted the Ideal and the problem was fix. what a waste, of cash it was just a turn of a screw
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:02 AM   #17
SilVtec

Quote:
Originally posted by toddabod
The plug wires aren't that old, maybe 6 months and I am running Bosch 4 plugs that are the same age. I wanted to try the PCV valve before I took it into the dealership and have them stick it on the machine.
Bosch plugs aren't very good from what I've seen. They seem to burn out very easily from people's cars that I've seen that just put them in. I had a friend that experienced the same thing, and his fuel filter was just nasty, so check that out.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:15 PM   #18
toddabod

I have given up on trying to find the PCV valve. I have looked everywhere with no luck. Do you know where I can adjust the idle screw. If it was carburated, it would be no problem. I will look in the manual tonight. Whenever it is about to konk out, the battery light comes on, so I thought about replacing the positive terminal cable, but I don't know if that would accomplich anything. I replaced the original connector a while ago and just cleaned it the other night to make sure connectivity was good. I would love to just turn the idle screw up a bit to sustain RPM's. Thanks for all of your information.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #19
hooohaa2

I just have to resurrect this old thread, I am having the same problem, I can't find the pcv valve!! I just replaced the timing belt, accessory belts, etc., and the pcv valve was next on my list. I have a Chilton's manual, but my pcv valve is not where it says it should be. Where is the thing? I have been underneath the car looking for it, I have scoured the whole engine compartment, with no luck.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:50 AM   #20
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

its between the valve cover and the intake mani...im pretty sure its under the fuel rail...
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:26 PM   #21
alpine3069

mine does the same thing! it is always below 1000 rpm's , i have AEM pullies on it would this be why mine is doing it??
Old 04-29-2003, 02:32 PM   #22
pdiggitydogg

you want it to be below 1000 at idle
(the y8 is supposed to be @ 670 +/- 50 rpm)
With the car running and warmed up to normal temp (the fan will kick on) just turn the idle adjust screw to change the level...thats the easiest way. (located near the T/B) Turn it in little 1/4 turns and have someone sit in the driver seat and look at the tach while you do it (dont do it yourself because 1) it will take a long time that way 2) youre gonna be at a different level each time and you might not read the tach right.

I wish I had a pic to show you where its located...but I dont...maybe I'll take a pic for you later on...check back w/ me
Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 PM   #23
hooohaa2

a pic would be great, because I am still having trouble finding it. If it is under the fuel rail, then there must be some sort of plastic bracket that is concealing it, because I can't see it. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-29-2003, 02:44 PM   #24
DelSolStylin

This may be completely off but if your idle goes up and down rather than just stay in one place your filter may be really really dirty. Mine was nasty and I got a new K&N and now it idles like a rock. Though this probably isn't the problem, I would check the filter just to eliminate the obvious stuff.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:40 PM   #25
pdiggitydogg

ok...I was wrong...the actual pvc is under the intake mani, its the tube that runs between the rail on the y8. So I cant take a pic of it directly.

first here is the idle control screw that you turn for adjustment

and the url for those that cant see it

and the PVC tube (follow it for the actual valve that I cant get a pic of

and again the url

(Im pretty sure this is it, but I cant be 100% positve because I cant see under there...and Im not crawling under it any time soon)
Old 04-29-2003, 04:07 PM   #26
hooohaa2

I guessed thats where it was at first, so I got under the car, but the wiring harness was in the way.

The hose that you highlighted (the one that runs between the intake runners) is pinched shut on my car in two different places, I am going to replace it, but I want to know what caused it. Could an old pcv valve cause enough vacuum to suck the hose shut?
Thanks a lot for the pictures!
Old 04-29-2003, 04:15 PM   #27
pdiggitydogg

no the vacuum isnt that strong...thats a thick tube...but I suppose that it is possible. An old valve basically shuts itself so...maybe?

Replacing it could definately help...but change the valve and the tubing to eliminate either problem
Old 04-29-2003, 11:10 PM   #28
blind34_1

just go to an oil change place like a lubepro's and have them change your pcv valve. the part is like five bucks...whiel your there have them do other stuff too...I'm sure you need and oil change or a radiator flush, or a ps flush, or a fuel injector cleaner (thats really cool, I think everyone should have that done at least once!)
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:16 PM   #29
pdiggitydogg

ive always just used injector cleaner (stp)...what do they do to clean them??
Old 04-30-2003, 08:47 AM   #30
hooohaa2

lol, i just changed the timing belt, accessory belts, oil, spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and water pump, and I flushed the radiator. I don't want to take it to a shop, because I would feel like a moron after changing everything else out.
I am determined to replace the sucker today, if I fail then I might have to break down and take it to a shop, I might get the ps flushed, or have the brakes bled.

What type of injector cleaning is it that you are talking about? I just bought a bottle of injector cleaner.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:10 PM   #31
hooohaa2

YES!!!! I FOUND IT!!!

It is directly above the oil filter. The pcv plugs into a rubber grommet on the side of some sort of black box. The easiest way to get it off is to pull off the oil filter, which I did, which leaked new synthetic from last weekend all over the place... After the filter is gone, you can easily see the valve, it just pulls out of the rubber grommet.

you can get it off with the filter still on, just find the hose which is highlighted in pdiggity's pic, grab it from underneath of the car and pull toward the drivers side wheel. The pcv will pop out attached to the hose. put on the new valve, and you will have to feel around to find the rubber grommet to plug the new one into. I don't feel like such a moron now, could Honda have found a worse place to put the valve?
Old 04-30-2003, 03:18 PM   #32
pdiggitydogg

thumbs up dude