::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2001, 03:31 PM   #1
LogicGazer

'01 Civic Speaker Replacement

I know this subject has probably been beating to death, but I must ask you guys this. Okay, I followed this step-by-step process (http://madstatic.com/2k1civic/diy/rdeck/) to remove the rear deck, had no problem doing so. Now, the aftermarket speakers I got are JL Audio TR-690TXs, 6"x9"s of course, and guess what--The speaker magnets are too big. They run into the rods that have to do with the operation of the trunk (sorry I don't know what they are really called). My friend and I tried several different things, using the plates that came with the speakers, and even using rubber spacers underneath the screws and such, but no go. We would have enough space undearneath in the trunk, but then we wouldn't be able to fit the deck completely over the speakers. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem. I called a local sound shop that deals with JL and even he said after market speakers installation w/ 2001 Civics are a pain. And even they aren't completely sure they could build a custom plate for the speakers, I won't know until I take it in later this week to them. Also another question, Honda has got to know that people are going to replace those stock speakers, so why would the clearance room be so small? I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks, let me know if any of you know anything.

--¢hristôpher.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:50 PM   #2
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

hi! Welcome to HS.

I havent worked much on any 2k1 civic, but here'S what I think I'd do.

Depending on how much clearance you need. I'd probably use custom/spacer setup under the speaker to give you just the amount of clearance you need (but keeping everything tight fitting). And a spacer under the deck. Whichever it may be, you dont have to use the clips, just fabricate something so that it holds securely.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 01:46 AM   #3
LogicGazer

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure we did that, or something just like it. The rear deck just wouldn't fit over them. I recall now that another little problem was that there is a strip of foam around the bottom of the space where the speakers go. That's part of the reason it was stopping from going all the way to the back of the window. Hm. Well, on Monday afternoon I'll be able to go to my local authorized JL dealer and have them take a look at it. He said "no guarantees" though. Yet, a friend who has Alpines told me that he had to order 'slim speakers.' I'm not sure if JL even manufactures slim ones, but I emailed them anyway. If the JL are just too much of a hassel, or the cost would be too much at the sound shop for them to figure something out, I'll just send these JLs right back and get some slim fitting Alpines. Although, does anyone know of anyone else who makes slim speakers? So far I only know of Sony and Alpine. But what about Cerwin Vega, Kenwood or MB Quart? I just can't wait until I replace the door speakers and the problem I'll have with that mounting depth.. Heh.

--¢hristôpher.
Old 12-09-2001, 01:27 PM   #4
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

ok I see.

Regarding slim speakers.. You just need to look at the depth of the speaker. It's usually given in the specs. Also dont forget top mount/bottom mount options.. Specs wont be the same for both.

If I'm not mistake you (2k1 Civic) can go up to 3 7/8 inches for a bottom-mount.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote