Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Electronics/Sound/Security Systems
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 AM   #1
jeq214

2,4-channel amp?

hey guys,
i've got a couple questions about my system. First of all, i've got an aiwa reciever, a pair of 300 w 6-1/2" on my front doors, and a pair of legacy 600 w each 6x9s in my back. I really love thumping sounds of the bass and it gives me chills when i can hear someones bass 4 cars next to me, but I don't have that. I was wondering if an amp will do the trick? Whats the difference between the 2 and 4 channel amps? How many Watts should i get on the amp? Will I need a Subwoofer to get that kind of bass? If I do get an amp, will crossovers make it sound better?Sorry for so many questions. Oh yeah one more thing. How can I get my front doors to stop rattling? I would love any input. You guys are great. I love this site. Peace Jon
Old 04-28-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

stop the rattling with dynamat and try tightenning the stuuf inside your door, like the window crane, the door panel, and try tightening the speaker housing. If u do not want it to unscrew again get the screw out and put some string on the tread, and wet it, then put the screw back in. it should take care of the vibrations.

well the amp is a different story. if it is a four channel amp it means that it has 4 smaller amps in it, one for each signal comming from your head unit. usually the 2 channel amp is used just for the rear and can work only on 2 signals comming from your head unit. I know my explanation is a bit ambigous, but i did my best. blackgst-1 can provide you with a better answer than most of the people on the board.

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

To have pounding bass, yes you will need sub(s)..

A crossover is meant to block certain frequencies, example: you dont want woo much low bass going to your 6.5s, so you'ld use a highpass crossover to let only the frequencies above a certain range to be played byt those 6.5s. The opposite is also true (lowpass). You dont want high frequencies going to your subs, cause that'll cause unwanted distorsion, thus decreasing the maximum potential output of your subs. There's also such a thing as a passthru, which lets the frequency between an A freq and B freq to be played.

A 4ch amp is commonly used to power 4 cabin speakers (front L R and back L R). A 2ch amp is commonly used to power 2 cabin speakers (priority for the fronts) OR to power 2 subwoofers (less common) OR both channels are bridged (if possible) and it powers the subs(s).

Are you satisfied with your cabin speakers? I dont know what you have in the front, but the Legacy's that you have in the rear are sorta crappy.. But again, if your happy with the sound, then great..

If your only worry is bass, then you dont need to worry about the cabin speakers.. You just need to figure out what type of subwoofer setup you want (you'll obviously need a suitable amp as well), and you'll be pounding.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 11:10 AM   #4
jeq214

Thanks guys, i'll definitely try that dynamat with my doors. I'll just have to wait and save money for an amp and some subs later. Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:20 PM   #5
black95gs-t

"To have pounding bass, yes you will need sub(s).."
not entirely true. i have seen setups with like 60 6.5 drivers and 70 5 1/4 drivers and no subs that totally slammed. of course this is a very rare setup and is rather costly. but they were hitting in excess of 158. crazy for no subs huh? but yeah what is in your head unit is a 4 channel amplifier. basically a 4 channel amp can take 4 different signals and power 4 different outputs at the same time. it can also be bridged to power 3 outputs, or 2. what do i mean by out puts? an output is where the power from the amplifier goes. on some 4 channel amps you can actually power 8 speakers. don't bridge it and put 2, 4 ohm speakers per output. with the three outputs two channels would be running by themselves and the other 2 would be bridged. this setup would most likely be used as such... the 2 unbridged channels would most likely be used for mid/high speakers, and the 2 bridged channels for subs. a 2 channel amp can take 2 different signals and power 2 different outputs at the same time. the same can be said for the 2 channel amp. i know i have a hard time explaining things, but if you don't understand just tell me and i will try to reexplain better.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

"Life sucks.....so drop your pants and let the good times roll!" Mycivicjust8u
black95gs-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:50 PM   #6
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

Quote:
Originally posted by black95gs-t
"To have pounding bass, yes you will need sub(s).."
not entirely true. i have seen setups with like 60 6.5 drivers and 70 5 1/4 drivers and no subs that totally slammed.

HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 04:53 PM   #7
black95gs-t

very interesting i know, but a totally shocking setup.
J

"Hearts and minds gents.... And if that doesn't work, two in the heart and one in the mind."

Old 05-01-2002, 02:18 AM   #8
Junersun

what's goin on guys... actually shocking but I've actually done it for someone as well.. not so much as what you said but I do al ot of product line up and sometimes installs for buddies and stuff... this guy has an navigator but didn't have a sub at all... so I ended up filling both his door panels (four total) with MB Quart component, kick panel as well as speakers under his seat... total of over 5000 watts were used to power everythingb to the max potential. It was slamming with BASS and the treble was just too much that we actually took itu all apart and brought down the db to the lowest on the cross over.. pretty funny because we could hear the treble at least a block away...
Old 05-01-2002, 02:29 AM   #9
black95gs-t

yeah the only problem with the MB Quart Q series is the crossover has a tendency to melt. i don't know what component series you were using, but i have noticed this problem. i'm really startin to like Focal myself. especially considering Fosbreak bought MB Quart and plans to redesign their stuff. they couldn't be smart about it and learn from MB Quart. dumb jackcrackers.
J