Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2003, 09:00 PM   #1
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

Timing Belt and Water Pump

? has anyone ever done timing belt and water pump themselves if so..how difficult or easy is it....and is it labor intesive....just curious ????
chefmaster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:08 AM   #2
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i haven't done it on my accord yet, but i read about it and it is a *****. i have to loosen 2 motor mounts and lower the engine from the engine bay to be able to do something about it. other than that it's pretty straight forward

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
Accord Man
THE GENERAL

In an Accord, accessing the belt is very hard.. But on Civics it isnt as bad (especially on the earlier gens..)

If you dont know how its done, I dont suggest playing with it.
HondaStyle.com Babysitter's Club Member #0

Soon to be >Dr Max Immuh<
Accord Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

i have a civic guys i'm sure their is a difference
Old 08-31-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
AzCivic

First get a helms manual. Look through the section that covers changing the timing belt/water pump then decide whether or not its too much for you.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:52 PM   #6
Dime5150

I had my timing belt go bad and the water pump was bad as well. I took it in. looking in the manual it would have taken me a long time to get it on and probably not as good as someone certified could.

I'd take it in for this.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:47 PM   #7
hooohaa2

I did it myself and it wasn't bad. The only problem I ran into was removing the main crank pulley bolt. The thing would not budge with a breaker bar, so I tried a 1/2" impact wrench, that didn't work either. Well, I decided to break out the sickness, and hit it with my 3/4" impact. I was worried about ripping the head off of the bolt, which, had it happened, would have ruined my day: thank the Lord it didn't. The 3/4" did the trick.

So, if you don't have air tools, I would think twice about doing it (call me lazy).

Another problem I ran into is the size of my hands. I had big problems getting the bolts off of the timing belt lower cover, simply because I could hardly fit my hands in there.

If you have big hands, have a kid around to help you out; it will be good experience for them.

other than that, it was fairly straightforward. How much experience do you have with projects like this? If you run into any problems, just come back to the forums and you will get help. also, follow your manual.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:22 AM   #8
blind34_1

^^ what he said. I have a 90 civic, and changing the timing belt wouldn't have caused a problem if it weren't for that damn crank pulley. plus I lost a tensioner in that weird housing thingy, i dont what happened. I ended up taking it to my mechanic, who found the cause of the problem wasnt the timing anyway.

but yeah, unless you have 1) a lot of tools(including air tools) 2) a couple days available for car downtime 3) a knowledgable friend to help, I'd suggest letting a pro do it. If you can, ask to watch so you can learn the process. just stay out of the way and dont bother them.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 07:46 PM   #9
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

hey everyone thanks for the info. It looks like i found someone to do it on the side. he's gonna do it for a hundred bucks and put in my cam gear. So im not gonna pass that up and also i dont have any air tools so i'm not going to or i prob would
Old 09-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #10
ripthesystem

if your timing belt goes in a Civic (92-95) will you ruin your engine?
I know some cars get rods bent when this happens...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM   #11
hooohaa2

yup
Old 09-04-2003, 02:09 PM   #12
chefmaster21
2nd Gear

it dosn't matter what kinda car you have. If your timing belt goes. It can do some serious expensive damage. it can crack your head
Old 09-04-2003, 06:40 PM   #13
AzCivic

it does matter what car it happens too. alot of cars don't have engines where the valves/pistons occupy the same space(at different times obviously). so when their belt/chain goes its a pain in the ass but shouldnt be detrimental to the engine.
AzCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #14
ripthesystem

Quote:
Originally posted by AzCivic
it does matter what car it happens too. alot of cars don't have engines where the valves/pistons occupy the same space(at different times obviously). so when their belt/chain goes its a pain in the ass but shouldnt be detrimental to the engine.

ok .let me be more specific then...
how about with MY car---?
Old 09-04-2003, 11:06 PM   #15
hooohaa2

yes, you will seriously damage your engine if your timing belt goes, most of the time. (I have a friend who broke a timing belt in a 95 Civic, and the engine survived)

When in doubt, replace it.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:05 AM   #16
blind34_1

should always replace the belt every 60k if not sooner. check for cracks and general wear on the belt.

also, correct if I'm wrong but I have never seen a bent rod. you meant a bent valve, and yes when your belt goes your piston smacks into the valves and usually f*cks all of them.
blind34_1 is offline   Reply With Quote