::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Tech Talk > Wheels, Tires, Suspension, and Brakes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2001, 01:38 AM   #1
Dezoris

Tire Review post with Videos

Check out the article it has been updated.
http://www.hondastyle.com/articles/l...enza/index.php
If that link does not work check it here

http://www.dezoris.com/tiremenu.htm

Since this is the tire forum I forgot to add this
Old 11-30-2001, 02:09 AM   #2
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Looks great

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 12:40 PM   #3
eXNBP

Wow read your article i might now want to stay away from Toyo Proxys BTW why 195/55R15 ? Isn't the ideal size 205/55/R15 Sorry im a tire n00b
Old 02-21-2002, 06:44 AM   #4
urbanlegend21

sorry man that is not a fair test

first of all that is way to low of a pressure to push a high performance tire to the limit
i suggest putting the pressure closer to 36 to 38 lbs cold

did you check the pressure after running it on this track?
did you check sidewall rollover?

speaking of the track is it concrete or pavement?
what speeds were you hitting

no high performance tire is going to perform well cold, so unless properly warmed up don't expect them to perform up to par

the slide from the braking is not because of the tires per say
what is your rear toe? if that is off the car will want to rotate around in straight braking

remember you are also running 195 size tireson a 6.5" wide rim, wider is better
Old 04-19-2003, 01:45 AM   #5
HndaTch627

first i'd like to point out that you did not give outside air temps, asphalt surface temps or tire temps before and after tests which in itself are 3 very harsh determining factors.

Example: 205/55/ZR16 Yokohama A520 in 40 degree rain=usless for traction or stopping, in 80 degree Rain, stops like on dry land.

secondly your suspension is set up very funky. I would rec reversing your camber settings -1.8 front, -.8 rear....that or i have just been auto crossing for too long. You have your suspension set up to give you are VERY heavy understeer which will send the car into a slide as the front end tries to sink under braking.

Third-32 Psi in a High performance tire is WAY too low, i run 38/38 all day cold in my A520's, on my Auto-X tires i am running 46 front 44 rear.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
Dezoris

Well these tests are almost two years old now.
However, to give more detail, yes the Fz4 and S03 are not a fair test, however at the time and the price for both and the way Toyo had been marketing them made it a fair way to show how bad they really were.

Now on to tire pressures.

At the time of the tests, I did not have a consistant bed of tests.
However, I did heat up both sets of tires on asphalt to a street compounds optimal heat range 120 degrees F, in slaloms.

And proceeded to do real world tests on a closed asphalt course which included braking, etc.

The mention about tire pressure is interesting.
If this was an autocross test I would take data from a test and tune, with more detail analysis. And this will be coming in the next year with multiple tires.

But to go back to this test, I decided on 32 PSI because,
of the max pressure of the Toyo, when I autox the S03s I run them at 38F 24-36 rear depending.

But I had to keep the tires at a like pressure, so that is what I chose.

Notto say I never had the toyos at higher pressures. I did, I messed around with them a lot, and nothing helped.
Old 04-20-2003, 03:18 AM   #7
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
Well these tests are almost two years old now.
However, to give more detail, yes the Fz4 and S03 are not a fair test, however at the time and the price for both and the way Toyo had been marketing them made it a fair way to show how bad they really were.

Now on to tire pressures.

At the time of the tests, I did not have a consistant bed of tests.
However, I did heat up both sets of tires on asphalt to a street compounds optimal heat range 120 degrees F, in slaloms.

And proceeded to do real world tests on a closed asphalt course which included braking, etc.

The mention about tire pressure is interesting.
If this was an autocross test I would take data from a test and tune, with more detail analysis. And this will be coming in the next year with multiple tires.

But to go back to this test, I decided on 32 PSI because,
of the max pressure of the Toyo, when I autox the S03s I run them at 38F 24-36 rear depending.

But I had to keep the tires at a like pressure, so that is what I chose.

Notto say I never had the toyos at higher pressures. I did, I messed around with them a lot, and nothing helped.
questions answered, and i have seen tires that i would never put on a car, like the FR690 which is on my brothers civic, i never realized how crappy those were...that or i am spoiled by good tires

oh yeah i didn;'t realize that test was 2 years old
Old 04-20-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Dezoris

Rolling meadows cool.
I was in schaumburg last year when they has a subaru meet up, with like 40 imprezas. There was one guy with a Celica GT and a laptime tuning his cams to show off.

Where you around then?
Old 04-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #9
HndaTch627

Quote:
Originally posted by Dezoris
Rolling meadows cool.
I was in schaumburg last year when they has a subaru meet up, with like 40 imprezas. There was one guy with a Celica GT and a laptime tuning his cams to show off.

Where you around then?
that would have been mike with the Blue Celica and the CF hood...i was at that meet as i was most of the others, i have kind of dropped from the community a little bit since then(some of the new members drive me nuts) but i still try to help out when i can. was that the meet at hooters or the one at Subaru of Schaumburg??

our weekly thursday night borders meets are up to about 50 cars.

Jeremy
Old 04-20-2003, 08:40 PM   #10
Dezoris

It was in the lot across from the cheesecake factory.
I don't really get in with the scene to much either, most of the honda tuners now are kinda posers.

Which borders do you guys meet at?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:44 PM   #11
HndaTch627

the one off of Golf @ woodfield village green(right across from the place that meet was at)

i tend to stay away from most of the honda forums but i got tired of getting e-mailed so i just joined
Old 04-20-2003, 08:47 PM   #12
Dezoris

Yeah I know what you are saying.

I run my own forums that are gonna be getting a makeover in the next week to include more models, mainly because many of the Honda folk tired of the scene have been going to Subaru and Nissan.

It is a lot to keep up with, thats for sure.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:53 PM   #13
HndaTch627

tell me about it, i guess i would be considered one of the older or original members in the Subaru world even though i didn't join the club till later but its gotten to the point i just don't care to post or even talk to a lot of the new people, and it's not that i am better it's just that they have that "imma street racer and my car is mAd TYtE!"

that is exactly what the subaru world was not prior
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM   #14
Dezoris

Well you have a disadvantage now because you have people sick of the car scene which was lets face it Honda/Acura/Toyota/Mitsu for a long time, and now that you have turbo imprezas for 22k lets face it why go with a 22k RSX-S that is a total letdown or the new breed of Civics.

I know at least 15 people that have sold their Honda and Acuras for WRXs, and when the sedans seem to be played out the wagon is a substitute.

I love the car. But now they have the new "perception" just like the hondas did,"the fastest car on the road"
And people rice them out and drive like assholes.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:03 PM   #15
HndaTch627

100% agreed, i knew it would happen, just never imagined it would have been so bad or so fast...ah well, what can ya do
Old 04-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #16
Dezoris

Get an STI and put all the ricer WRX owners to shame.

Jk
Old 04-20-2003, 09:06 PM   #17
HndaTch627

i'll just do it with my RS, i beat 90% of them at the auto-x last weekend

i would love an STi but i don't have $35k
Old 04-20-2003, 09:08 PM   #18
Dezoris

Thats why I like my civic, slow as dirt, but a great handler, and I don't owe anything.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #19
Craig Robin

Interesting, you can get additional information about the tire that you are planning to purchase by reading reviews online. I usually buy my tires from 4wheelonline, most of the time I use their customer support page to find out which set is suitable for my car.
Craig Robin is offline   Reply With Quote