::Hondas Wanted::

Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #1
heartbreakkid

MSD Ignition

i have a 95 civic lx w/ the 1.5L engine and i've done some minor mods for my car, i was thinking of getting MSD ignition next. It costs about $300 and I was wondering if it really worth my money or should I save it for sumthin else. How many HP would I gain from this if any? Oh, and which MSD ignition should I get, I heard there was many type (i.e. 6a, digital, etc) Thank for any comment
Old 07-24-2002, 11:03 PM   #2
NCSTYLE

No real hp gain pal just a beter idle and spark sorry
Old 07-25-2002, 08:23 AM   #3
ripthesystem

not to mention a noticeable improvement in gas mileage..

I've been told that the 6AL is the one to get and it's on my list of upcoming mods (along with the external Blaster 3 coil)..

www.summitracing.com has the MSD 6AL for $195.. eBay will sometimes have them slightly cheaper.. or go to www.thepartstrader.com if you don't mind them used and they are usually around $150ish there..

If you put it in - let me know what you think!

ripthesystem
Old 07-26-2002, 12:01 AM   #4
heartbreakkid

ok guyz i jz got the msd ignition 6AL today at Tech3 Performance for $420 which included the box, the cap, and the coil + installation as well. I really like it and thinks it worth the money hahaha wellz at least that wat i think. rip_the_system yea i think u should get it
Old 09-12-2002, 08:40 AM   #5
ripthesystem

Where did they mount your Blaster Coil and the Ignition? I should have my 6al by next week (already have the coil and new cap) but looking around there isn't a lot of room to mount this stuff..

Anyone have suggestions?
thanks
ripthesystem
Old 09-12-2002, 09:07 AM   #6
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

ask civic_addict. he has one in his si

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 AM   #7
ripthesystem

thanks Hondaman

just got done re-reading that post actually. It looks like he has it mounted on his strut tower.. I've been told you shouldn't mount stuff there. But I don't know...
Old 09-13-2002, 07:58 AM   #8
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Yeah I have the 6al, blaster 3 coil & MSD cap.
$420? That was installed right? If it wasn't you kinda got shafted.

I love mine. I have my 6al inside on the passenger's side floorboard. The coil is on the left of the engine.

Its a worthy investment that's for sure. Increase in MPG, smooth idle, and even cleaner shifts.

Old 09-13-2002, 08:42 AM   #9
ripthesystem

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_Addict
[b]Yeah I have the 6al, blaster 3 coil & MSD cap.
$420? That was installed right? If it wasn't you kinda got shafted.

I love mine. I have my 6al inside on the passenger's side floorboard. The coil is on the left of the engine.

Its a worthy investment that's for sure. Increase in MPG, smooth idle, and even cleaner shifts.

$420 Better have been installed I got all three for under $200 total. Patience paid off as I searched for deals.

Anyways- I see where you have the 6AL mounted and I'll probably end up putting mine there too. Did you just drill through the firewall to run your wires through? Also what did you mount your coil to? It looks like the Strut housing?

Thanks
ripthesystem
Old 09-13-2002, 09:07 AM   #10
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Originally posted by ripthesystem
$420 Better have been installed I got all three for under $200 total. Patience paid off as I searched for deals.

Anyways- I see where you have the 6AL mounted and I'll probably end up putting mine there too. Did you just drill through the firewall to run your wires through? Also what did you mount your coil to? It looks like the Strut housing?

Thanks
ripthesystem
Note on the 6AL - It 'ticks'. Not real loud. It will take a bit to get used to. I don't notice it anymore, but at first I was thinking about ripping my ears off.

There's a rubber grommet on that side. Its in the engine compartment, on the fire wall.

The coil is mounted to the strut tower.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:01 AM   #11
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

wow 420 ? summit has them for 150 or less, plus the coil is only $50

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:02 PM   #12
heartbreakkid

yea my total was $420

190 for the 6AL
90 for SS Coil and the MSD Cap
plus 90 for installation

the shop put my MSD under the hood, a little to the right of the battery, and they put the SS coil near my intake...
Old 09-14-2002, 01:04 PM   #13
heartbreakkid

hey thanks for letting my know that the 6AL has a 'ticks' sound hahaha i didnt even know where that noise was coming from when i heard it the first couple time...I thought there was something wrong with my car...

oh yea the price i gave didnt include tax, after tax is about 420
Old 09-15-2002, 01:15 PM   #14
ripthesystem

Civic_Addict-

2 things...

1-ticking- Does it tick just when the car starts or the entire time it's running? Will a Radio on low/mid range drown it out?

2-grommet. Looked under the hood. Lots of Grommety (?) stuff there Could you tell me where it comes out behind the dash to help locate it better?

thanks mate!
Old 09-15-2002, 10:05 PM   #15
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:
Civic_Addict-

2 things...

1-ticking- Does it tick just when the car starts or the entire time it's running? Will a Radio on low/mid range drown it out?

2-grommet. Looked under the hood. Lots of Grommety (?) stuff there Could you tell me where it comes out behind the dash to help locate it better?

thanks mate!
1 - Ticks the whole time the car is running. Yes your radio will drown it out depending on the volume of course.

2 - If you're standing in front of your car...
on the left side (passenger) on the firewall there is a 2" rubber grommet. You will need a straightened clothes hanger to 'poke' through the fibers. It'll drop right into the passenger's side. You may need a friend to help you out on that one.

I'll try to get a pick of where the grommet is.
Old 09-15-2002, 10:30 PM   #16
untainted

if you really want a msd box... im desiding to sell all my parts on my car im not positive of what im doing with it .. but ill let my msd stuff all of it i have the modified caps for both hitachi and reg honda distributor and the blaster external coil... along with the msd sc ... for bout 230? if your interested ... i bought the box for 215 and the coil for 60 bucks from local shop an i didnt use it much ... for 300 ill throw in yellow nology wires.. then all u gotta do is buy fuel rail ,gauge and fuel pressure ajuster and a air fuel gauge an u got all yer air fuel done... and your on your way to speed .. and person that said it doesnt do much to car.. i did my ignition and i smoked all my friends that had same stuff to car sept ignition it gives u like 2 or 3 whp... if u guys know what that is lol =) well sorry bout the novel reply with yer email if your interested.. untainted<~has lotta honda parts ..
Old 09-16-2002, 10:48 AM   #17
ripthesystem

Thanks for the offer but I've gotten all of my ignition stuff now except for the 6AL which is en route. If you have any other stuff that you are looking to sell drop me an email with some prices:

ripthesystem@usa.net

Civic Addict- If you could point it out in a picture- I'd be grateful if not it's cool I'll just get a friend to sit in the passenger seat and start randomly poking with a coat hanger til I stab em in the foot

thx all
Old 09-16-2002, 11:56 AM   #18
Addict
Zoom-Zoom

Quote:

Civic Addict- If you could point it out in a picture- I'd be grateful if not it's cool I'll just get a friend to sit in the passenger seat and start randomly poking with a coat hanger til I stab em in the foot

thx all
Lol... I'll try to save your friend's foot.