Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Integra
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2003, 12:31 PM   #1
rody084

suspension

hi,
I have a 1990 Integra GS and the rear suspension on the right side sounds like it isnt absorbing anything at all, it sounds like the chassis is straight hitting against the ground. so I am guessing this is the shock absorbers taht are dead.
So i need to find new shock absorbers, which one do you all recommend for my 1990 integra? im not going to be doing hardcore racing, but I would like my car to handle nicely since it already has 2 strut bars, might as well go a little further.

if you think it may be something else, please let me know

also, (**theoretically, not thinking of doing this, just curious**) if I only change the rear shock absorbers and leave teh front ones stock, will this screw up the suspension in my car?

any input would b greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
ShEaNy

u can just change the rear for now but it might feel a little weird one might be stiffer of softer then the other (front to rear)....like are u saying ur strut/shock is blown? or is ur spring messed up? does it make ahuge BANG noise when u hit a bump?
ShEaNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
rody084

it makes a sort of clank noise... think about if you had no wheels and you just dropped teh chassis straight onto the ground, thats kind of what it sounds like. i dont konw anything about cars, but i am figuring that the shock absorbers arent absorbing any of the impact and that is the problem. (again, this is just my guess)

is this the shock absorbers?

also, i do not understand the difference btwn strut and shock... i figured out we arent talking about strut BARS, so what part is the strut?
Old 04-06-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
ShEaNy

well i also forget exactly what the strut does but a shock and struts are basically the same things..i think they just take the impact say if u hit a pothole...they go in the Spring and the spring just pushes the wheel bcak down to the ground..its always pushing down against the ground...and about the Clank noise.ive never heard that before...maybe something is just loose...maybe the strut mount...someone else who knows better might have to help out here..sorry..lol
Old 04-07-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
MAXed Out
6th Gear

Do you want to lower it at all??
If you do my bro has Koni Yellows and get some kind of coilovers. I have Skunks2 for mine but i can't give you any info about it cause i still haven't put them on yet(still sitting under my bro's bed). My bro had Ground Control coils and they lowered it a lot and the car it's not bumpy at all but that depends on the shocks you get too.
1997 Maxima SE 5spd, Stillen Body Kit, Warpspeed Y & B pipes, Magnaflow Muffler, Koni Yellows & Tein S-tech springs, JVC Headunit, Directed 7" in dash screen,Stillen Intake, red/clear tail lights, AE mod, Paceseter STS, EL-Glow Gauges, Clutchmasters FX300 Clutch, rebuilt tranny, 19" Mille Miglia Evo 5's with Pirelli Pzero's(summer), 18" Hp D-10 hyper silver wrapped in Goodyear ultra HPR, SPW front strut bar, Helios 7000k HID, Motostorm UDP, Viper 5000Vx alarm, 2 12" PowerClass 124 subs, Kenwood 1200 Watt amp, DVD Changer
MAXed Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #6
rody084

there is a lot of potholes, speed bumps and sharp hills by my house... so i dont want to lower it too mcuh, and since I am not going to be lowering that much, i probably shouldnt even get springs at all.
what exactly are coilovers?
what brand of shocks are recommended? are tokico's good? cuz thst in my price range
Old 04-09-2003, 10:10 PM   #7
2ndGenTeg
4th Gear

I have yet to find a TRUE coilover setup for DA Integras. Adjustable springs, however, are plentiful, and they suck.

Your strut has probably just sprung a leak. It sucks, but it happens, and it needs to be replaced. If you just replace the front or rear, it will screw up your toe in and rebound. I would definitely recommend making all four match. I've got the Tokicos, and they've worked great for me.

The purpose of the strut is not to absorb impact- it's to return the suspension to a neutral point after the impact occurs.
2ndGenTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 10:26 PM   #8
ebpda9
Repost Wagon

well i have the ground controls coilovers and they ride pretty nnice on konis. the ride is not bumpy at all and handling rocks

ebpda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
ShEaNy

thanks 2gen...i get mixed up with the differences..
Old 04-23-2003, 04:31 PM   #10
Shot 2 Hel

Integras use struts