Go Back   HSTuners > Honda / Acura Cars > Civic/Del Sol
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2004, 01:03 AM   #1
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

My Civic VS Accord

hi I just registered, I recently saw one car which was a dodge neon that looked stock, but when it shifted I could hear like air pumping really loud that was noticible with my windows closed. My friends say it is the turbo, but I dont know anything about it so I dont know. Is it turbo? If so.. could I add that on my 2001 civic? Because the sound is really nice. The real reason I want turbo is so I can compete with my friends accord which is v4 and manual transmission. I also want the air pumping sound when I shift, can anyone help me because I dont know what the sound is.

Last edited by Civic_RedLine : 07-06-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Civic_RedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
sicones

welcome
its inline 4 not v4 and don't get a turbo becasue you like the sound, you have a lot of reading to do

btw the dodge neon was proly not turbo just and intake or something
sicones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
Honda_Tengoku

sounds like a Dodge Neon SRT-4. turbo 2.4L, 230 HP, quaife LSD (2003+). They run 13.9's. Very quick cars. An H22 hatch with i/h/e will take one though. I should know.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #4
sicones

oh yea that srt4 crap
Old 07-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
pdiggitydogg
Yahoo Watashi wa kattaze!

if all you want is the sound you could get one of those turbo wistle things "WOO WOOO"

No but seriously, it was probably a turbo and if you want that sound you should buy a turbo (along w/ all the parts that go along with it). But not for the sound...because it does something..,
pdiggitydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Yes, definately, I want it to bone out! can you tell me what I need for turbo kit to add HP and the sound? I seared on ebay and I saw couple turbo kits. One was about $500 and the other was around $3000. I have been buying car parts on ebay such as a muffler, cheap strut bar ($20 front&back), and so on. Is it worth getting the cheap kits?

P.S. The muffler was Megan Racing (axel-back)
Old 07-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #7
pdiggitydogg

good money = good parts
Old 07-06-2004, 08:47 PM   #8
ewaugh

You get what you pay for. You might be fine with the $500 kit for acouple of years, then the turbo goes and those can be expensive, or even worse something strang happens and yoou screw your engine.

You pay $3000 and you get good quality parts that will preform well and last, though I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I haven't been in the Honda scene long enough to know what names are good and what aren't

ewaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

If there is one thing you don't skimp on, make it the turbo (and suspension!!!)

The old saying "you get what you pay for" is fairly true here if you're buying a kit. I'm assuming you'll need the factor an install price on top of the turbo. This is a pretty expensive upgrade just to beat your friend's Accord. What year is the Accord?

--Need hosting for your pics on HST? PM me...--
94_AcCoRd_EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
IALuder

personally i would never buy something becuase it cheaper. you get what you pay for.

now if you want a good turbo kit but dont want to spend big dollar. get the Greddy kit. 1700 for a D16 civic. most people love that kit. run perfect with stock internals at 6psi.

i got a freind who spent more dough and got more power. he purchased a overboost kit. he run 15psi but he got a lot of money in his motor. internals pistons port polish and such.

if you cant dazzle them with your brillance, baffle them with your bullshit.
IALuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:49 PM   #11
pdiggitydogg

I feel obligated to add:
You dont even know that coolant is for radiators and not for making a/c cold. You shouldnt be bolting a turbo on your car until you can understand the ins, outs, arounds, and ideas of your engine.
To do that you need to do a lot of reading and research on your own.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #12
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

To add to what pdiggs said, check out

www.howstuffworks.com

and other sites like that to learn the basic functionality of your car I agree 100%.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:32 AM   #13
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

its not like I'm going to be putting on the turbo kit. I want to pay someone to do it. I am not a pro or anything, but I know logical stuff. So you shouldnt be telling me I should get to know my car.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:39 AM   #14
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Yes, I know that it is for radiators but I was mistaken it to get colder, I meant frion, I have a bottle just dont know where to put it in. Its illegal to keep frion. So I need to get turbo, fix my suspension, I also want an intake from aem (v2 model). Is it ok if I start out on the intake, then move on up to turbo and have both installed? I read somewhere that if you install turbo you cant fix up everything else (not everything but some other stuff you cant add is what I read)
P.S. Friends accord is 2003 coupe (5spd) it runs like a v6 though
Old 07-07-2004, 06:16 AM   #15
pdiggitydogg

That isnt the point.
Turbo's are high maint. things. You dont just bolt it on and call it done. Theyre like very expensive, needy girlfriends. Something breaks, you need to know how to fix it....not wait 3 days for a shop opening. You need to 100% fully understand your engine first.
Now, if you dont listen to my advise, thats fine....but its your car and your pocket, and your lack of experience that will cause hurt/anger/confusion/money down the drain....etc

And no, you cannot have intake and a turbo. You cannot have turbo and a header.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:22 AM   #16
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by pdiggitydogg
That isnt the point.
Turbo's are high maint. things. You dont just bolt it on and call it done. Theyre like very expensive, needy girlfriends. Something breaks, you need to know how to fix it....not wait 3 days for a shop opening. You need to 100% fully understand your engine first.
Now, if you dont listen to my advise, thats fine....but its your car and your pocket, and your lack of experience that will cause hurt/anger/confusion/money down the drain....etc

And no, you cannot have intake and a turbo. You cannot have turbo and a header.

hey dont knock Pdiggs. He is trying to help u avoid a costly mistake. He is right on the money here. Listen to him he knows what he is talking about. On boost u need to know how to take care of your car, and that means more frequent oil changes, replace spark plugs more often (most people about once a month), and valve lashes (most people about every month or two), and lets not forget letting the oil cool down before turning off the car, etc..... Shall I go on? There is alot more that u need to know. Go read up.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #17
94_AcCoRd_EX
Insomniac Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Civic_RedLine
its not like I'm going to be putting on the turbo kit. I want to pay someone to do it. I am not a pro or anything, but I know logical stuff. So you shouldnt be telling me I should get to know my car.

Neh, you do need to get to know your car first. You also need to learn how the turbo works, etc. You really should have some serious hands-on time with your car installing stuff, etc. before even considering this upgrade. That's one of the main reasons I never slapped a turbo on my car - I don't feel that I have the knowledge to work on it if something goes wrong.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #18
mcruz
2nd Gear

i would have to agree with pdigg, it takes a lot of work for turbo, but if thats what you want do it, just do the reading first like i did, and when you feel ready, go to www.city-speed.com, they sell greddy turbo w/intercooler for $2300, thats a great price,

FOCUSHARD
mcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #19
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

But, I thought you said that if I have bought the one with good quality, it wont break? I have no place where I can work on the car. So should I not get the intake, if I'm deciding on getting the turbo kit?
Old 07-07-2004, 12:58 PM   #20
pdiggitydogg

The problem isnt the turbo itself...its the whole thing...mostly the engine.

Ok, flat out.....DO NOT BUY ONE. Just forget it and do some reading first. There is all kinds of information out there and its all pretty easy to find.
Youre not ready for it....simple as that.

Oh, and the reason the cheap kit, on ebay, is so cheap is probably because of a really cheap manifold and tubing...along w/ lack of parts. It would be kinda hard to find an actual poor quality turbo...since not everyone can make one
Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #21
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

Its not like the turbo was going to be immediately bought, I dont even have the money and it will take me months to save up 3 g's. But the intake? should I get it? I know I can install it myself with a little bit of my brothers help cause he installed his intake himself. But yeah I know I am reading, Im almost done with howstuffworks.com thanks for your conern anyways. But can you tell me if I should get the aem cold air intake (v2) for $220?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:04 PM   #22
pdiggitydogg

If you want a turbo then no.
save the money
Old 07-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #23
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

isnt there another way around the turbo? at least in getting the air sound? could I get a BOV instead?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #24
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

could i use the blow off valve with something else or does it have to be a turbo kit
Old 07-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #25
mcruz
2nd Gear

pdigg you are right, but civic_red needs to start with the basic like i did, good shit pdigg

FOCUSHARD
mcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #26
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

instead of making fun of me, is it possible that you can guide me?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #27
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

just asking cuz I want the sound, I see ebay has those muffler whistlers, but in my point-of-view, I dont think its worth it.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:29 PM   #28
pdiggitydogg

You cannot have a bov w/o a turbo...boost is what makes that sound, and boost is what makes the bov open.

If you really, really want that sound...go ahead and get the noise-makers, mufflers, or whatever you like. But if you think youre getting made fun of now (which youre not) just wait until you get one of those things put on...you wont EVER hear the end of it and no one will EVER respect you....I promise.

The reason an intake wont work is because its for increasing air flow on n/a engines. With a turbo youre forcing air in. Now, you could use the filter from the inake on the turbo...but the piping you probably cant (at least w/o making changes to it - ie bends). But that seems like a big waste of money, since a decent filter costs about 1/4 of what youre spending on an aem v2 intake.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #29
sicones

just buy the intake!!!!!!!! forget the turbo its too much work I dont have a turbo and I am pretty good with cars, and A LOT of other people are very good with cars and dont have turbos YOU SHOUND NOT GET A TURBO...........yet----> (years).......... period.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:46 AM   #30
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

yeah, I just noticed that the greddy turbo kit cost 3500... and says, 90 hp gain, maybe with that 3500 I could buy small parts and add like 10 hp per and get more like that? like how much hp will the aem intake add? cause I checked and it says around 8-12 and some places say 6-8
Old 07-08-2004, 02:39 AM   #31
RxGoaT13
4th Gear

it all depends on your car, Instead of slappin on a turbo.
you should start out with some of the basic mods, this will improve your cars performance and help you understand more about your car.

i would start with intake,headers and exhaust.

this will improve the airflow in your car and you will notice a difference, and it will give you a better sound.
after that you could move on to other things like, distributor, wires,pulleys, etc.... these mods will require alot less maintnence.
RxGoaT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:44 AM   #32
Civic_RedLine
3rd Gear

sure boss! ill do my intake soon as I get my funds in. Im going to buy the aem v2 cold air intake off ebay because thats the cheapest place I see em selling for. If Anyone knows a cheaper place please tell me. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 AM   #33
pdiggitydogg

pulleys dont do anything
wires really dont either
dist wont unless there are mods that require it (turbo,n2o,sc)
Old 07-08-2004, 08:36 AM   #34
sicones

that aem v2 intake will add some hp not worth 300 for an intake tho get the regular aem intake short ram or cold air I dont think it makes a differece, short ram if you drive in plenty of water and big puddles (like I do), CAI if you dont give a fuck about your filter
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #35
Honda_Tengoku

Quote:
Originally posted by ewaugh
You get what you pay for. You might be fine with the $500 kit for acouple of years, then the turbo goes and those can be expensive, or even worse something strang happens and yoou screw your engine.

You pay $3000 and you get good quality parts that will preform well and last, though I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I haven't been in the Honda scene long enough to know what names are good and what aren't

500 dollar kit lasting a few years? Umm not likely. The SSautchrome manifolds (popular ebay brand) last an average life expectancy of 2 weeks. One person even had his wastegate flange break off and metal got down into his turbo. RIP turbo.... Also the turbos most sell are prone to boost creep, and blown oil seals.